What do you mean? Are you telling me you wouldn't trade

Sean Monahan
Johhny Gaudreau

for

Matt Dumba
Jakub Voracek
Shayne Gostibehere

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::help::help::help:

The internet can be an infuriating place sometimes..

I mean, is the first 3-5 picks next year worth having a dumpster fire team?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
To the people who doubt that Brodie could fetch >6 million in the open market

I've been thinking Brodie gets closer to a 6x6 type of contract and Hamonic a 3x3. Brodie currently makes 4.65 and at the time of the signing, many Flames fans were surprised and excited it was below 5.

Wasn't it more like many Flames fans felt they don't feel comfortable offering Brodie more than 6+ than he couldn't get 6+?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know. Brodie is a good dman but I don't know if I want to pay him all that money to be a number 1 go to guy.

It's not like he has helped us winning much.

Yeah, I know Gio is still there ....

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like there's a ton of balls in the air for a bunch of teams. Going to be an interesting couple weeks in October for sure.

Brodie has always seemed like a humble quiet dude, I'm not really convinced he'll go after big money. I would be very happy to give him a similar deal to Backlund as a secondary contributor who has came up with the Flames. As much as I do like him I'm not sure it's worthwhile to pay him like a core piece.

If Pietrangelo expresses interest in coming here and you can do so around ~8-9per I think that's a little too good to pass up though.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
In his latest piece for the athletic Eric Duhatschek said we tried to get Vatanen from New Jersey as a rental when we tried to trade for Hall and said he wouldn’t be surprised if we circled back to vatanen in free agency

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In his latest piece for the athletic Eric Duhatschek said we tried to get Vatanen from New Jersey as a rental when we tried to trade for Hall and said he wouldn’t be surprised if we circled back to vatanen in free agency

So if the rumors and theories holds... something like Hanifin was offered for Hall and Vatanen?

Hall - JG - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Janko - Ryan - Reider
Czarnik

Gio - Brodie
Forbort - Vatanen
Kyington - Andersson
Stone (Assume no Gus for RD?)

Hmm... I don't know how I think about this...

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I like Brodie but not worth in the sixes. Petry is good but is 33 in December. Gets a lot of protection in that deal.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving’s trades need to be for younger roster ready players and picks and his UFA deals need to be value buy low deals. I will support a Markstrom deal however. But tired of older 30+ guys getting huge albatross deals across the NHL.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

my guess is he gets ~40 million. He landed Kadri in a trade after an absolute dog shirt season. He’s the kind of guy that doesn’t get credit for all the things he does. People just see the mistakes cause he plays 25 minutes a game against top competition. They don’t understand that the alternatives are usually much worse. He’s been one of the best Flames defencemen of all time. Not Suter, Al Mac, or Gio good. But pretty close imo, defencemen are just always under appreciated and I feel people don’t talk about how amazing TJ has been because of one and a bit bad seasons.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hanifin for Debrusk is bad value for Calgary imo. I like Debrusk but he doesn’t fill a need at all
My thought on that was IF we trade Johnny G and Mangiapane, for a new top C and RHS Dman, LW needs upgrading big time. Hanifin has been somewhat mediocre and with Kylington close to over ripened and ready to show at top level, we Could use him for a decent return, aka Debrusk! Of course there are lots of other needs to fulfill 1st.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Habs are a bit of a "head-scratcher" with some of their actions. MB is a bit of a Freak Star for a GM.
Personally, I'd re-up Brodie for that $$ given by Mtl to Petry. But then again, we don't watch lesCanadiens as much ( most of us out here not likely) so maybe they really value Petry and think he has 4 years of decent play left in him?
I don't discount Brodie's value in the past to Flames and he is by no means garbage or useless. I have been hearing Lots of posters here and Flames Nation, and hockey talk shows and NHL hockey think-ranks suggesting Brodie us likely to walk into F-agency, open market. And that Tre was letting him test the market because of cap issues, he cannot offer much more than he was making. Thus, I have been under the impression he is "gone".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
So if the rumors and theories holds... something like Hanifin was offered for Hall and Vatanen?

Hall - JG - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Back5lund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Janko - Ryan - Reider
Czarnik

Gio - Brodie
Forbort - Vatanen
Kyington - Andersson

I would "jump all over this" if knowing we have an acceptable, doable long term contract signed with Taylor Hall, part1, and part 2: if Johnny Hockey
is dealt for affordable young upstart C plus a decent D player and a higher pick.,
If needed, M Tk can play on the right side.
Bring in Hall and Vatanen. Vat is a very useful PPl and offensive driver Dman. Don't have enough of them with Gio's coming back down to earth ( father-time kicking in). And especially if E Gustafsson not resigned.
But a couple of question marks here...what happened to 1) S Money-man, 2) E Lindholm, and 3) Who is JG at Center and Gaudreau on RW? in your lineup there??
And...you are resigning Brodie, Jankowski, Czarnik, Forbort and Stone, while adding Taylor Hall ( likely in the 8+$mil range)and Vatanen is likely another 4$mil minimum? You find some room in the cap space that isn't made public yet?
Brodie is going to command well over 5$ mil, Flames discount and closer to 6$ mil on open market.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I know I’m in the minority here, but I would absolutely inquire with the cost on Nolan Patrick. If that guy ever figures out his health, I still think he can be a 60pt C.

If the cost was a blown 2nd and Mark Jankowski, I’m absolutely fine with that risk.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly I know I’m in the minority here, but I would absolutely inquire with the cost on Nolan Patrick. If that guy ever figures out his health, I still think he can be a 60pt C.

If the cost was a blown 2nd and Mark Jankowski, I’m absolutely fine with that risk.

I think at that price Philly will just hold onto him and see if he can turn it around. Only way I see them selling somewhat low on Patrick is if he’s part of a package for a star player like Gaudreau

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think at that price Philly will just hold onto him and see if he can turn it around. Only way I see them selling somewhat low on Patrick is if he’s part of a package for a star player like Gaudreau

Youre probably right. Honestly for Johnny he would be a 3rd type of asset for me. But I would 100% have interest in him. His talent is obvious, size and skating. His issue is his melon.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
my guess is he gets ~40 million. He landed Kadri in a trade after an absolute dog shirt season. He’s the kind of guy that doesn’t get credit for all the things he does. People just see the mistakes cause he plays 25 minutes a game against top competition. They don’t understand that the alternatives are usually much worse. He’s been one of the best Flames defencemen of all time. Not Suter, Al Mac, or Gio good. But pretty close imo, defencemen are just always under appreciated and I feel people don’t talk about how amazing TJ has been because of one and a bit bad seasons.
While I agree with this, I think you have your seasons confused, Brodie had a solid 18-19 back with Gio on the top pair, 17-18 was when he struggled cause Gulutzan insisted on keeping him with Hamonic.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If we don't get Nolan Patrick back, i'm going to be disappointed trading Johnny. I believe he's headed to Philly if we don't blow his value and wait out to pull the trigger.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd rather have Brodie for $6 mil than Petrangelo for $8.5 mil. Brodie is so underrated by Flames fans its absurd. The guy is just as elite as Gio minus the few big offensive years Gio put up. He was the Flames best player last year, IDGAF what anybody says. The extra cap space would be very helpful to re-sign our players going forward. I won't be upset at all if we got Petro obviously.

If anyone listened to Lebrun talk about Petrangelo it was "The Flames would be looking into it because they're losing two top 4 RHD in Brodie and Hamonic", there was no actual rumour connecting us with him, it's just speculation in that we have space. Also, lol'd hard when Lebrun said Hamonic was a top 4 d-man. We only need to replace one top 4 RHD as Andersson is a top 4 d-man.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What do you guys think of like Monahan+ for Laine?

A line of Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine intrigues me.

He’s also one of the best PP players in the league and would give us a true shooter. I know he’s flawed but so is Ovi.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What do you guys think of like Monahan+ for Laine?

A line of Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine intrigues me.

He’s also one of the best PP players in the league and would give us a true shooter.

Depends how big the plus is but it’s certainly a move I’d entertain. Neither one of them drives play, they’re both shooters but Laine is the better one by quite a big margin

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Hall - JG - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Janko - Ryan - Reider
Czarnik

Gio - Brodie
Forbort - Vatanen
Kyington - Andersson

Sorry I'm brain fried who is JG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad