Armchair GM III

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Preds aren’t really supposed to be a developmental team. That’s up to Milwaukee and others. We are in the bigs, where each team should try to win each year.
Of course we all know with reasonable certainty who’s gonna be a winning team and who is not each year, but come on, at least give it the old effort.
Right now we are saddled with bums / bad signings, and 101 prospects. We shouldn’t just accept that as our lot in life.
We could be a team that’s gonna suck from game one onward, or maybe game 15.
But we should at least try to avoid it.
A team who’s big acquisitions are Myers and Glass ….. is not even trying.
We have a GM and a fan base that’s quite happy with the status quo, even when the status quo is hollowed out and shaky. That’s sad. We love our career Admirals, career ‘tweeners, and little euros. All else is ugly and scary.
A chip and a chair. You can't play if you're not at the table. I'm not a huge Poile guy but year after year he gets us a seat at the table, likely more than 90% of the other teams. We've gone all in a few times and got bad beats, and we made it to the finals once. I still trust him for now, but seems we're playing more satellites than main events lately, but we seem to be in a bankroll mode, let's see how it plays out before we call for a new dealer.....

Jul 12, 2007
I actually think Poile had a fine start to the off-season. Shedding Arvi and Ellis, and getting good prospects in Myers and Glass …. Really nice start. But what I don’t like is the tenuous, tentative, timid effort. We’re sitting there right now.
Half measure.
Let’s get one or two of the guys we’re debating here and at least we finished the effort. Didn’t quit half way.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Preds aren’t really supposed to be a developmental team. That’s up to Milwaukee and others. We are in the bigs, where each team should try to win each year.
Of course we all know with reasonable certainty who’s gonna be a winning team and who is not each year, but come on, at least give it the old effort.
Right now we are saddled with bums / bad signings, and 101 prospects. We shouldn’t just accept that as our lot in life.
We could be a team that’s gonna suck from game one onward, or maybe game 15.
But we should at least try to avoid it.
A team who’s big acquisitions are Myers and Glass ….. is not even trying.
We have a GM and a fan base that’s quite happy with the status quo, even when the status quo is hollowed out and shaky. That’s sad. We love our career Admirals, career ‘tweeners, and little euros. All else is ugly and scary.

Quit deliberately conflating developmental league play and giving players a shot at the NHL after they've earned a shot based on AHL play.

Jul 12, 2007
Quit deliberately conflating developmental league play and giving players a shot at the NHL after they've earned a shot based on AHL play.
I will conflate, fenestrate, exacerbate, and frolic with Lebanese Thespians whenever I feel like it.

Jul 12, 2007
Aaaaaand ….. a team full of “earned their shot” players, is developmental indeed. We have 3-4 vets that we can be pretty sure will produce, for now.
The quintessential AHL team. Or maybe expansion team.

Jul 12, 2007
Josi - Forsberg - Eckholm : good if healthy.
Joh - Duch - Granlund - Saros - Kunin : a hope and a prayer.
Everybody else on the roster : old / filler / sweet dreams.
Need a couple more sure things, even if only 20-20 or 25-25. And maybe a little more grit so that Jeannot / Olivier aren’t the only sure thing there.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Hello Nashville fans,

I come in peace. I am wondering how any of you would feel about a Mathew Tkachuk trade? Is this something you would want?
Thanks,

FH

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hello Nashville fans,

I come in peace. I am wondering how any of you would feel about a Mathew Tkachuk trade? Is this something you would want?
Thanks,

FH
Yes, but we aren't at the point where we have the kinds of assets to spare that you'll need. Every team will want a Tkachuk and we can't win that bid against the rest of the league. You'll ask for guys we won't give up, then we'll counter with guys you think are garbage, and... perhaps better to just not go there? :dunno:

Reactions: PredsV82
Jul 12, 2007
Hello Nashville fans,

Thanks,

FH
I can answer that. He’s not welcome here. He’s uncouth and un-cute.
Don’t be trying to get your grubby mitts on Fabbro or Grimaldi or Sissons.
We wouldn’t trade any one of them for both Tkachuks.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Hello Nashville fans,

Thanks,

FH
What do you value Tkachuk at? Tkachuk for Forsberg straight up could be an interesting idea to me.

Jul 12, 2007
Still: Pass.

Or maybe now it's: PASS!!!! :eek:
Wow, a bargain and only 2 years. Would been half paid for with the Fabbro $.
The guy could realistically score more than anyone on our team.
I have a bad feeling about trusting our current roster to put up points.
I’d like him in Nashville just because everyone would call him Tater.

Last edited:
Reactions: weeze
Jul 12, 2007
What do you value Tkachuk at? Tkachuk for Forsberg straight up could be an interesting idea to me.
It’s not a bad deal for 2 disgruntled guys who want out. Like the Laine deal. But we need O, so this doesn’t help us much, just a break-even.
We’d have to part with Josi or Eck for us to end up improving. We may have to suffer the horrors of having a rough, defensive defense, something heretofore not seen in Nashville.
But we’d have a better team, instead of a deal with no discernible change in the team.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Not quite- I think Tkachuk has extra value (younger, at least 1 additional year of team control but potentially more).

Tkachuk + Kylington for Forsberg + Glass is my proposal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not quite- I think Tkachuk has extra value (younger, at least 1 additional year of team control but potentially more).

Tkachuk + Kylington for Forsberg + Glass is my proposal.
Agreed, Tkachuk > Forsberg. But we still like Forsberg a lot here. As long as he is "with the program", we will probably still prefer to have him if he'd extend with us, even if we shouldn't.

I don't know if Kylington adds any particular value to us, though. If he can't make your team... and we have a bunch of LD in the pipeline already... he is not adding any significant value to us. I'd pretty much rather just have a 3rd round pick. :dunno:

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed, Tkachuk > Forsberg. But we still like Forsberg a lot here. As long as he is "with the program", we will probably still prefer to have him if he'd extend with us, even if we shouldn't.

I don't know if Kylington adds any particular value to us, though. If he can't make your team... and we have a bunch of LD in the pipeline already... he is not adding any significant value to us. I'd pretty much rather just have a 3rd round pick. :dunno:
I could stomach a 3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad