Armchair GM III

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Granlund line, Herd, Joey, energy... is the way I see TOI being distributed if you're going by drafted talent and $$ they're still the 1st line. They're there to score not defend, shelter their minutes and work on an effective PP so if we make the playoffs, they're healthy and rested. Kessel is the same just more expensive.
Remember PTO is tryout not commitment. I hope he invites any cheap offensive forward that wants a tryout.
Right now my wet daydream is trade Dutch for FiFi if Poile could find some kompromat on ownership lmao

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm good on Kessel. I'd like to bring in Domi, Kahun maybe even Galch. That would solidify our left side and all of those guys are in their mid 20s. Could be value pick ups.

Forsberg Joey Duchene
Domi Glass Tomasino
Tolvanen Granlund Kunin
Jeannot Sissons Yak

Something like that with Grimaldi, Cousins and Olivier as spares. Though I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Cousins fan so you could easily slot him in.

While I don't think this is a playoff team, I do like the direction overall. Too bad we couldn't have found a way to move Duchene or Joey and weaponize our cap space more, but not a bad off season.
I'm with you on all of these. Aside from two years ago Kessel still produces better than about any forward on our team but Forsberg. Banking on just handing significant playing time to all the young players is likely to make us relatively noncompetitive and isn't necessarily best for their development anyway (e.g. Tolvanen was great in stretches last season but his overall play the whole season didn't always warrant being in the lineup nightly). Make the team more competitive where we can and put the youngsters in better positions to succeed in the opportunities they get.

Jul 12, 2007
There will be great unhappiness when all of our beloved kids cruise along to score 10-10 for the year. Half that for the D kids. It will be a bad year. We would need a magical return to 30-30 or better from 3-4 guys, just to not suck and miss the playoffs by a lot. And guess what …. That’s not happening. If one or two do it, it will be a big surprise.
We don’t have offense right now. Should buy a little more.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In other words... yes, you totally bought into the BS and memes. The guy is basically the same size as Josi, Sissons and Benning and hasn't missed a single game in the past 11 seasons.
:nod: I have seen the photographic evidence, yes. If that constitutes buying into the memes, then yes indeed, I buy them.

Basically, Phil Kessel has the baseball player body where he doesn't look like an athlete or like 99% of the other players in the game, and maybe you put him on 1st base, but he still bats .320 or gets 100 RBI and nobody particularly minds.

In a way, it should be viewed as complimentary that he can do that in this day and age.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
:nod: I have seen the photographic evidence, yes. If that constitutes buying into the memes, then yes indeed, I buy them.

Basically, Phil Kessel has the baseball player body where he doesn't look like an athlete or like 99% of the other players in the game, and maybe you put him on 1st base, but he still bats .320 or gets 100 RBI and nobody particularly minds.

In a way, it should be viewed as complimentary that he can do that in this day and age.

I have the Phil Kessel body without the skill . . .

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Honestly I would love to add Tomas Tatar.

I know his Playoff performances arent good but he is a very hard working player during the regular season, it would just have to be a year or two in length. And I wouldnt mind moving Cousins/Rocco (I dont think Hynes likes him much) to make it work without blocking Tomasino or Glass.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think that's the plan. I don't think there is any plan on him being a center.

You have Joey, Granlund, Pitlick, Glass, and Sissons that can play center.

I agree, pair Joey with Forsberg, Pair Duchene with Granlund, Sissons for the HERD, Pitlick/Glass for 3rd line.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is there anyone else out there quietly confident that Duchene will have a breakout season? If the line is at 22 goals/55 points, I’ll take the over.
I don't have anything whatsoever to base any "confidence" on, quiet or otherwise.

But "hopeful"? Sure. Maybe that is more like "blindly optimistic", I don't know. Still, Duchene has done it before, that's why he got the big contract, and I dare to hope he has some pride and will put in the work and have a bounceback season. I haven't read any stories about that happening, I haven't seen anything on the ice that makes me think that will happen, so no, I can't say it with any degree of confidence whatsoever. But we might as well just hope for it anyway. :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Whether or not I would want to bring in Tatar depends a lot on the contract. He's a target player who knows how to score, so we would have to surround him with good linemates - he isn't going to create his own offense. Ideally, you'd sign him to a deal you could move at the TDL if we're out of the race.

If we sign him, then I think it's goodbye to Grimaldi and/or Cousins.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If we could sign Tatar for a 1yr deal it really doesn’t matter. The cap space is definitely available.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Tatar is 30 and has been a 0.75ppg player for the past three seasons:
18-19: 58pts in 80gp
19-20: 61pts in 68gp
20-21: 30pts in 50gp

Unless there's something I don't know, I can't see him signing a one year deal.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Tatar is 30 and has been a 0.75ppg player for the past three seasons:
18-19: 58pts in 80gp
19-20: 61pts in 68gp
20-21: 30pts in 50gp

Unless there's something I don't know, I can't see him signing a one year deal.

Yeah just because some UFA are still unsigned doesnt mean they are desperate and will sign 1 year deals for cheap

Reactions: Viqsi

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I love watching kessel skate and shoot. I would take him. I do fear he would get benched. Hynes has no tolerance for stars who can't muck it up.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
From the coaching staff up through the front office have to decide if they are willing to start the season with the current crop of players and go with the risk/reward approach concerning the kids OR if they want to bring in one more veteran forward before camp. Between Tomasino, Pitlick, Richard, Jeannot there is a crop of guys that put up good numbers in the AHL last season but they lack demonstrated performance at the NHL level. I expect Poile to bring in another forward just as risk mitigation but that sets up a situation for a competitive camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->