Armchair GM III

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

AdventurousUnacceptableHagfish-size_restricted.gif

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I wonder who's turn it is to make a counter offer.

If I had to guess both sides probably gave their ask before the season and were far enough apart that they both decided to just see how the season is going. Now it becomes a big game of chicken. If Forsberg is afraid of being traded, he should have his agent reopen talks in the next couple of weeks, and youd think that would be accompanied by a new ask, probably with an NMC. On the other hand, if Poile is really motivated to get him locked in, then he calls and presumably puts a modified NTC on the table.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I would think FF9 holds all the cards at this moment. He will be an UFA at the end of the season and can go get what he can from whomever he wants. OR he can try and work out something with the Preds but doesn't have to. If the Preds trade him it is only for a short time and he can go into the summer and find a new team to go to. Just depends on what he wants and where he wants to play. Especially since he has started to score like he has since returning from his last injury. Top 10 in Goals and has more than McDavid! And all of the ones ahead of him have played from 7-11 more games.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I would think FF9 holds all the cards at this moment. He will be an UFA at the end of the season and can go get what he can from whomever he wants. OR he can try and work out something with the Preds but doesn't have to. If the Preds trade him it is only for a short time and he can go into the summer and find a new team to go to. Just depends on what he wants and where he wants to play. Especially since he has started to score like he has since returning from his last injury. Top 10 in Goals and has more than McDavid! And all of the ones ahead of him have played from 7-11 more games.
He can go anywhere, doesn't mean he wants to go anywhere.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There's also a flat cap which most contending teams are up against. 17 teams have less than $1M in cap space right now. Only six teams, including the Preds have $10M+ available (assuming he's looking for that much) and ours includes the current $6M for Forsberg.

The others with enough projected space to sign him in the $9-10M range are Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim, Columbus and Arizona. Of course teams can move out some salary for next season to fit him in, but it's not always easy.

I think re-signing here gives him his best chance to get a huge payday and play on a competitive roster that is on the upswing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad