Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I still think we need some type of additional glue guy in the top 9 or a spark plug type guy there. A swiss army knife someone who can play up and down and stabilize lines as needed defensively, scoring, faceoffs whatever. Or someone who goes balls to the wall and creates chaos for our team to capitalize on. We have high shot volume, but getting more chaos to really keep the opposition goalie honest and worried would work better IMO.

On D, I would open up the pocket book for someone like Larsson on the back end. A pricey guy on the bottom pairing, but a Tanev lite type of guy who would be excellent to swap on 2nd and third line and occasionally top line when Tanev ain't doing great and whatnot.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I feel like I'm the only person on this board or social media who doesn't hate how this team is built.
It's been a work in progress, but I really don't hate the fundamental parts of this team. Need a bit more blueline depth... once scoring normalizes (as it should) and goaltending is back to at least average... this team to me seems fine.

Maybe I'm just silver linings and glass half full... or it might be that hockey has taken priority like 20 in my life and I just don't have the will to make it a top 3 priority for me to affect my mood as much as some folks lol.

Well ya I mean it would probably be pretty easy to feel good about the team if you never watch them and don't really care :laugh:

I wonder what the price for Labanc 30% retained would be. He's got one more year after this at 4.725 per. Get some of that good Barrie Colt juju going with Mangiapane and Ras.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we can’t get rid of Markstrom in the off-season I would look at Vladar for a top prospect, Joshua Roy comes to mind.

This is Wolf’s net, should be already

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I still think we need some type of additional glue guy in the top 9 or a spark plug type guy there. A swiss army knife someone who can play up and down and stabilize lines as needed defensively, scoring, faceoffs whatever. Or someone who goes balls to the wall and creates chaos for our team to capitalize on. We have high shot volume, but getting more chaos to really keep the opposition goalie honest and worried would work better IMO.
I've wanted Pageau for years

Reactions: Fig

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
you guys have seen this right??? How did you get yourselves into this trouble?

I just spent 10 minutes on CapFriendly. On the Calgary Flames site.

Your sides will ache from shock
Nasim K 32, contract until 28/29 at 7 M
Jonathan H 29, contract until 30/31 at 10.5 M
Blake C 31, contract until 26/27 at 4.9 M
Mackenzie W 29, contract until 30/31 at 6.25 M
Jacob M 33, contract until 25/26 at 6 M

You will have ~ 35 million tied up in players above 30 for another 4 years. Then ~ 25 million for another 3 years for guys 35 and older.

Summer of Brad..try the nightmare of Brad.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Trigger warning: Luke Schenn

f*cking Sutter as GM he'll trade the 1st for him as well because good old western Canadian boy

we do not have enough assets to take this team from being on the outside chasing a wildcard spot to being a contender so they should just stay away from the deadline market.
does anyone actually think that if this team adds a Schenn, JVR, Tarasenko, etc that we will magically be able to keep up with the speed that the other teams have..

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
f*cking Sutter as GM he'll trade the 1st for him as well because good old western Canadian boy

we do not have enough assets to take this team from being on the outside chasing a wildcard spot to being a contender so they should just stay away from the deadline market.
does anyone actually think that if this team adds a Schenn, JVR, Tarasenko, etc that we will magically be able to keep up with the speed that the other teams have..
Even at today's level, there's a massive difference between Tarasenko and JVR/Schen. I could see a Huberdeau-Kadri-Tarasenko line being pretty dynamic. If we cut down on the brutal defensive give aways and some how fix the substandard goaltending, this team is already in a solid playoff position.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Anyone else read that Andersson got hit by a car while on a scooter in Detroit??
Yeah, just read that on Yahoo fantasy sports. Wtf.
Andersson was hit by a car while driving his scooter Wednesday.

Advice: Andersson was on his way to dinner when the accident occurred. He was taken to a hospital and released Wednesday night after undergoing full testing. The talented defenseman has seven goals and 34 points in 51 games. Consider him day-to-day at this time.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Even at today's level, there's a massive difference between Tarasenko and JVR/Schen. I could see a Huberdeau-Kadri-Tarasenko line being pretty dynamic. If we cut down on the brutal defensive give aways and some how fix the substandard goaltending, this team is already in a solid playoff position.
I was trying to say this team is more than 1 player away from being able to actually compete against most of the playoff teams in the West but can actually only afford to take on 1 player

plus there is no way St Louis is gonna trade Tarasenko for a return that does not include a 2023 1st which is the 1 pick the Flames absolutely should not trade based on their play this year.

Reactions: Boomstick

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Well, if I'm GM of this team I'm listening to any and every offer. I know we only have a couple of contracts ending this season and none are highly sought after players. Lucic, Lewis, Stone, Ritchie.
But nobody on this roster is untouchable. If someone makes an offer for Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin, Kadri, Weegar, Huberdeau, Markstrom, absolutely anyone GMBT has to listen.
I'd be willing to move anyone.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Dube, Hanifin, Tanev, and Zadorov are all free agents at the end of next season. That's a third of the team and ~34M in cap hits.

The organization could still rebuild next year if they wanted too. They obviously won't because Murray Edwards is a greedy short sighted SOB but the point is, they could.

Reactions: Boomstick

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
For our cap situation next year, I don't see how u can keep markstrom. I don't see how u can afford to make cuts anywhere else.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
For our cap situation next year, I don't see how u can keep markstrom. I don't see how u can afford to make cuts anywhere else.
With his performance, salary (actual and cap hit), and NMC the only way you guarantee that you don't keep Markstrom is to buy him out.

I think you wait until the entirety of the suits are fired / not extended this off-season, then see how he does under a new coach/system. (then buy him out lol)

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
With his performance, salary (actual and cap hit), and NMC the only way you guarantee that you don't keep Markstrom is to buy him out.

I think you wait until the entirety of the suits are fired / not extended this off-season, then see how he does under a new coach/system. (then buy him out lol)
But we are so cap strapped we won't be able to sign anyone with his cap. Coming off 1 yr as a vezina finalist (undeserved imo) teams might be willing to take a chance that this is an off year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
won't be able to sign anyone with his cap
Good. Hopefully GM Craig Conroy will have learned from his predecessor's mistakes.

There will be three lineup spots available for forwards next season: two on the 4th line, and one in the press box. Not filling any of those roles with someone earning more than $1 million cap hit.

No spots for defensemen either with only Stone coming off the books and hopefully Kylington back in the fold.

If you want to add anyone, has to be done via trade.

Circling back to Markstrom, he has full control of his destination if traded. I suspect any team desperate enough that they'd need to take a chance on Markstrom is a team he's not going to waive his NMC for.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Good. Hopefully GM Craig Conroy will have learned from his predecessor's mistakes.

There will be three lineup spots available for forwards next season: two on the 4th line, and one in the press box. Not filling any of those roles with someone earning more than $1 million cap hit.

No spots for defensemen either with only Stone coming off the books and hopefully Kylington back in the fold.

If you want to add anyone, has to be done via trade.

Circling back to Markstrom, he has full control of his destination if traded. I suspect any team desperate enough that they'd need to take a chance on Markstrom is a team he's not going to waive his NMC for.
I find basically no one uses their NMC to block a trade. Most professional athletes want to go somewhere they are wanted. It’s not like Calgary is Manhattan or Vegas

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
With how bad this season been, why would Markstrom want to stay? If the Nucks trade Demko since he apparently wants out, Markstrom would most definitely waive to go back there, if they wanted him. Would have to take one of their bad contracts in return or but it's a possibility.

E.g. Markstrom for Myers and then flip Myers elsewhere
or Markstrom+ for Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad