Arizona Coyotes Lounge XI - We Have Melted

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Now a coup in Turkey. Interesting year to say the least.

homermmmm.jpg

Mmmmm Turkey coup

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
End times were living in I'm afraid.

:laugh:

Things were much, much worse, even just 20 years ago. You're just now getting to see anything and everything that will generate views on the internet/TV.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
:laugh:

Things were much, much worse, even just 20 years ago. You're just now getting to see anything and everything that will generate views on the internet/TV.

While you are correct, there is a recent uptick in violence and certainly no reason to laugh at the mans statement.:shakehead

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Great post. I've been meaning to read his book for a few years now. Violent crime in steady decline while media coverage of violent crime spikes through the roof.

As for the coup attempt in Turkey, I smell an orchestrated power grab by Erdogen. The whole thing is fishy.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
While you are correct, there is a recent uptick in violence and certainly no reason to laugh at the mans statement.:shakehead

Well, okay. Still...

"This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith, or people of activism, or look down our noses at the heartland, or passionate argument, or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are, and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times."

Jon Stewart - 10/30/10, Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

Still valid, IMO.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, okay. Still...

"This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith, or people of activism, or look down our noses at the heartland, or passionate argument, or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are, and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times."

Jon Stewart - 10/30/10, Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

Still valid, IMO.

Isn't Stewart a laughing idiot too?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For me the tough part was not sleeping for eight months. My main advice would be sneak sleep in where you can. Never stay up late on purpose or wake up early for any reason other than baby. Respect all the hours of sleep you can get.

Other small tidbits; do the hospital tour. Let them show you and you baby mama around and tell you what to expect. It helps knowing where to park, what to bring, and how everything will work. Makes everyone more comfortable.

Don't use those organic hippy diapers. They don't work at all. You'll be covered in urine. Just buy the regular pampers that have been around forever. They're popular for a reason. They work.

Don't let your kid sleep with you. Ever. No matter what. My brother and his wife did this. They were stuck with babies in their bed for years. Screw that. Baby has their bed and you have yours. It seems easier in the beginning but don't play with that fire man. You'll regret it.

Buy a bottle warmer. Absolutely worth it.

Even though it seems like your child is out to get you and is making your life harder on purpose, they aren't. When youre exhausted and frustrated you WILL believe the baby has it in for you. It doesn't. It's just a baby. Remember that and be less frustrated and crazy. Haha

When the child becomes a toddler, NEVER allow the kid to win a battle of wills or argument. Stick your guns always and be a fascist authoritarian always. That said, give the kid two options and let it choose. You'll have less fights that way. When the kid doesn't want to stop doing something. Tell them they get one more turn and then it's over. You'll have less fights that way. So a countdown from three before time out, they usually work. Act like time out is terrible. Even though with a toddler it lasts about 90 seconds. Haha.

Have the kid down for naps and bedtime at as close to exactly the same time as possible. Routine is important for these little suckers. Fight with them if they wake up too early. Tell them it's night time until it's the time you want them to wake up and then throw a huge happy party about how it's morning now and everything is great because it's 6am and not 5:30am. They'll learn to try to sleep or keep quite until they get that version of you in the room instead of the go back to sleep version. Again, that's for toddlers. Babies do what they want. Haha.

It's hard to explain. Just read up. Don't listen to anything that doesn't sound like common sense. There are tons of quacks out there. There's some infamous breast feeding Internet forum too that's especially bad. Try to protect your baby mama from it. La Leche League. It's filled with ****ing lunatics who only want to shame you and make you feel guilty. But theyre nut jobs. Stay away.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
As a single guy with no kids, I'll drop a radical departure from the baby talk ...

Just accepted a new job in Cambridge, about an hour north of London, so I've started putting pen to paper on some Euro hockey trips this winter.

Auston Matthews still hasn't signed his ELC, so I assume he'll stay in Zurich instead of joining the Leafs and I'll be able to see him there :sarcasm:

Kyle Chipchura just signed for Slovan Bratislava in Slovakia, so I now have a reason to visit Slovakia.

OEL's Swedish team Leksands is in a tiny town way out in the middle of nowhere, that's be an adventure. Boedker, Hanzal, Vrbata, Michalek, Looke, Kallgren, Perlini's dad, Rieder, Griess, Klesla and Rozsival all have roots in Europe, so I may have some plane rides ahead of me ... let me know if you want some Leksands IF souvenirs ...

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
As a single guy with no kids, I'll drop a radical departure from the baby talk ...

Just accepted a new job in Cambridge, about an hour north of London, so I've started putting pen to paper on some Euro hockey trips this winter.

Auston Matthews still hasn't signed his ELC, so I assume he'll stay in Zurich instead of joining the Leafs and I'll be able to see him there :sarcasm:

Kyle Chipchura just signed for Slovan Bratislava in Slovakia, so I now have a reason to visit Slovakia.

OEL's Swedish team Leksands is in a tiny town way out in the middle of nowhere, that's be an adventure. Boedker, Hanzal, Vrbata, Michalek, Looke, Kallgren, Perlini's dad, Rieder, Griess, Klesla and Rozsival all have roots in Europe, so I may have some plane rides ahead of me ... let me know if you want some Leksands IF souvenirs ...

Thats amazing. Congrats!

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

Mildenhall or Lakenheath?

The Imperial War Museum in Duxford (lots of aircraft there) is worth seeing if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Wow! Good for you.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Awesome. Well done! I'm very jealous.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

I am so envious. I wish I could come up with a reason to move there.

Yes, yes, definitely take a long weekend and do this, even if Chip doesn't make the team :laugh: . Bratislava is only a 30 minute train ride from Vienna, and they're both great cities. Plus there's a reason some call Slovakia the Canada of Europe. I went to an HC Slovan Bratislava game in 2007, still remember the chant: "My sme Slovan, my sme tu doma" (Which I think translates as "we are SLovan, and this is our home")... if you get to go, you'll be in the new arena, built for the 2011 IIHF. (If you do ever go, I can give you a hotel recommendation, pay you back for the Meddlesome Moth)

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

That's going to be Fantastic. Looks like you've got a League Two football club in Cambridge too. Tell Looke and Karlsson to sign when you go to Sweden.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
For me the tough part was not sleeping for eight months. My main advice would be sneak sleep in where you can. Never stay up late on purpose or wake up early for any reason other than baby. Respect all the hours of sleep you can get.

Other small tidbits; do the hospital tour. Let them show you and you baby mama around and tell you what to expect. It helps knowing where to park, what to bring, and how everything will work. Makes everyone more comfortable.

Don't use those organic hippy diapers. They don't work at all. You'll be covered in urine. Just buy the regular pampers that have been around forever. They're popular for a reason. They work.

Don't let your kid sleep with you. Ever. No matter what. My brother and his wife did this. They were stuck with babies in their bed for years. Screw that. Baby has their bed and you have yours. It seems easier in the beginning but don't play with that fire man. You'll regret it.

Buy a bottle warmer. Absolutely worth it.

Even though it seems like your child is out to get you and is making your life harder on purpose, they aren't. When youre exhausted and frustrated you WILL believe the baby has it in for you. It doesn't. It's just a baby. Remember that and be less frustrated and crazy. Haha

When the child becomes a toddler, NEVER allow the kid to win a battle of wills or argument. Stick your guns always and be a fascist authoritarian always. That said, give the kid two options and let it choose. You'll have less fights that way. When the kid doesn't want to stop doing something. Tell them they get one more turn and then it's over. You'll have less fights that way. So a countdown from three before time out, they usually work. Act like time out is terrible. Even though with a toddler it lasts about 90 seconds. Haha.

Have the kid down for naps and bedtime at as close to exactly the same time as possible. Routine is important for these little suckers. Fight with them if they wake up too early. Tell them it's night time until it's the time you want them to wake up and then throw a huge happy party about how it's morning now and everything is great because it's 6am and not 5:30am. They'll learn to try to sleep or keep quite until they get that version of you in the room instead of the go back to sleep version. Again, that's for toddlers. Babies do what they want. Haha.

It's hard to explain. Just read up. Don't listen to anything that doesn't sound like common sense. There are tons of quacks out there. There's some infamous breast feeding Internet forum too that's especially bad. Try to protect your baby mama from it. La Leche League. It's filled with ****ing lunatics who only want to shame you and make you feel guilty. But theyre nut jobs. Stay away.

Saving to .PDF for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad