Arizona Coyotes Lounge XI - We Have Melted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
The ones I hate hate hate are the ones with PHX from the generation prior.

Not a fan of those either. I also think putting "D-Backs" on the jersey instead of "Diamondbacks" is stupid. "Diamondback" sounds impressive, even intimidating; "D-Back" sounds like somebody's nickname at the local watering hole. No sir, I don't like it.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've never been to Hawaii but I have to assume you people insinuating it's basically Phoenix with water are mildly autistic.

I'm Phoenix-area born and raised, and lived in Hawaii for 2 years. That's not too far off, plus you can take just about every price we pay for anything at all here in Arizona and multiply it by at least 2, and that's Hawaii.

Oh, and it doesn't get as hot (it's basically highs of 78 and lows of 73 year-round) but the tradeoff is that it's pretty much always at least 50% humidity and rains a lot more.

Whoop. Dee. Doo.

I mean this is coming from a bitter 30 year old woman who never really liked beaches, because if I want to go swimming I'd rather just go to a ****ing pool. They're cleaner. To hell with swimming in saline water and getting my feet wrapped up in slimy seaweed. Yes I tried surfing a few times when I lived in Hawaii, but it's really just... meh. Not for me.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My kid turns two in September. I think this is supposed to be a take a last trip before 2nd pregnancy, while it's still easy enough to leave the boy with one grandma for a few days and the other grandma for a few days. It won't be this easy again for a long time. Given that we're looking at October, I suppose I can understand the desire for the tropics. And I suppose I can understand the desire for me to go along. I've made peace and will no longer be complaining about this. I'd still just rather have the cash sitting there, though. Haha.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I want to go swimming I'd rather just go to a ****ing pool. They're cleaner.
To be fair, I've never heard of a beach temporarily closing due to unacceptable levels of e. coli in the water. And the urine is gonna be way more diluted.

Still, there's something to be said for the absence of sharks, Portuguese man o' war, and algal blooms.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Maybe whiny and crybabyish, but that was an enjoyable read!

I'm going well away from the Equator in September, to Iceland. Airfare was surprisingly low, and we're renting a microvan decked out as a tiny camper to save on those northern European lodging costs. It will take the full 12 days to drive the Ring Road, and as always, we won't be at any resorts, and certainly won't be part of an organized tour.

I was stationed in Iceland for 2 years (89-91). We were on the southwest part of the island (Keflavik) and got hit with storms quite a bit. The Icelanders said it was the worst place for weather. Squalls would come through and the combo of win and rain would soak you to the bone. Windy (15-20) and in the 40s so dress warm. Lots of waterfalls to see off of the ring road. You won't have to deal with the too much or too little sun while you're there. They have the northernmost golf course in the world there if you're into that. The "Golden Circle" is a cool area in the southeast with geysers, volcanoes, waterfalls and the mid-Atlantic rift pulling the island apart.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
To be fair, I've never heard of a beach temporarily closing due to unacceptable levels of e. coli in the water. And the urine is gonna be way more diluted.

Still, there's something to be said for the absence of sharks, Portuguese man o' war, and algal blooms.

Never been to Rio or new Jersey? ;)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Maybe whiny and crybabyish, but that was an enjoyable read!

I'm going well away from the Equator in September, to Iceland. Airfare was surprisingly low, and we're renting a microvan decked out as a tiny camper to save on those northern European lodging costs. It will take the full 12 days to drive the Ring Road, and as always, we won't be at any resorts, and certainly won't be part of an organized tour.

Are you, by chance, flying on the Icelandic budget airline (the name escapes me) out of Boston?

Iceland is one of the two places I most want to visit (the other being Germany). I've just started a new job and if all goes well I might plan a trip there for next year.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Are you, by chance, flying on the Icelandic budget airline (the name escapes me) out of Boston?

We are flying out of Phoenix on Icelandair. Round trip fare was $840. There's only one two-hour layover in Seattle. I worked next to the airport for 30 years, and I didn't even know that Icelandair flew into PHX until Priceline told me it did.

To GiveAFlyingPuck, my wife is a geology hobbyist, so I've heard more about the Mid-Atlantic Rift than you could imagine!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
We are flying out of Phoenix on Icelandair. Round trip fare was $840. There's only one two-hour layover in Seattle. I worked next to the airport for 30 years, and I didn't even know that Icelandair flew into PHX until Priceline told me it did.

Well, I just checked and it's operated by Alaska Airlines, so it's a codeshare...still...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Any of you need/want a super cheap jersey. I've seen people post on one of the Facebook Coyotes pages cheap OEL jerseys at Burlington Coat factory so I stopped by the one at Desert Sky Mall today. No OEL ones but they have about a dozen of the old red Reebok jerseys (generic, no name) for only $14.99. There were at least two each of large, XL and XXL. I think there was a 3XL too.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Todd Walsh is tweeting a lot about the Tragically Hip. I know that one guy in the band is terminally ill. Thing is, I have no clue as to any songs the may have done. Am I the only one? I must be comically unhip.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Any of you need/want a super cheap jersey. I've seen people post on one of the Facebook Coyotes pages cheap OEL jerseys at Burlington Coat factory so I stopped by the one at Desert Sky Mall today. No OEL ones but they have about a dozen of the old red Reebok jerseys (generic, no name) for only $14.99. There were at least two each of large, XL and XXL. I think there was a 3XL too.

Had a poster from Tucson hook it up with an OEL jersey. Paid a little extra for the favor. Still absolutely worth it!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Todd Walsh is tweeting a lot about the Tragically Hip. I know that one guy in the band is terminally ill. Thing is, I have no clue as to any songs the may have done. Am I the only one? I must be comically unhip.

Nah, just means you're not Canadian. I've been told they're like the Canadian Grateful Dead, or maybe the Canadian Phish. Something like that; but I never was into those bands either.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nah, just means you're not Canadian. I've been told they're like the Canadian Grateful Dead, or maybe the Canadian Phish. Something like that; but I never was into those bands either.

Never understood the obsessive passion for the Grateful Dead. How popular would they have been without mind altering drugs?

Listening to the Tragically Hip right now...remind me of REM.

Last edited:

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Never understood the obsessive passion for the Grateful Dead. How popular would they have been without mind altering drugs?

Not very, I'll wager, but then again, there are some things that are best enjoyed in pairs. Peas and carrots, chips and salsa, gin and tonic, that sort of thing.

Listening to the Tragically Hip right now...remind me of REM.

Not a bad comparison. Todd seems to prefer a certain era of pop music, but I mean, don't we all?

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
We were on the news today. An east valley photographer did some photo shoots and we were on the segment. My family was feeding me donuts. Haha. It was funny.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Haha. Thanks. We figured it would be fitting to feed me the donuts.
It's hilarious how you develop a picture in your mind on how fellow posters look and then realize how badly off you were when you see an actual picture.

Anyway...cute segment, love the doughnut idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad