Arizona Coyotes Lounge XI - We Have Melted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I love Laphroaig and Lagavulin. My problem with heavily peated scotches (especially Laphroaig and Ardbeg, which don't have as much depth of flavor as Lagavulin) is that if I drink them to often, I lose the effect of the smoke almost completely. The same happens if I drink sherry bombs like Aberlour too often - I lose the sherry. I've found it's good to mix it up one night have a peat monster, another night a delicate, sweet highlander, and then another night a big sherry bomb. Cycle it like that.

If I had to stick to a very strict budget, I might just always have three bottles on hand Laphroaig 10 ($30), Glenfiddich 12 ($30) and Highland Park 12 ($50). But because I have no self control, I have to mix in Lagavulin, Aberlour, Balvenie, Talisker, etc. Even thought they're stupid expensive. I'm a terrible person. Ugh.

indczn

May 28, 2008
I love Laphroaig and Lagavulin. My problem with heavily peated scotches (especially Laphroaig and Ardbeg, which don't have as much depth of flavor as Lagavulin) is that if I drink them to often, I lose the effect of the smoke almost completely. The same happens if I drink sherry bombs like Aberlour too often - I lose the sherry. I've found it's good to mix it up one night have a peat monster, another night a delicate, sweet highlander, and then another night a big sherry bomb. Cycle it like that.

If I had to stick to a very strict budget, I might just always have three bottles on hand Laphroaig 10 ($30), Glenfiddich 12 ($30) and Highland Park 12 ($50). But because I have no self control, I have to mix in Lagavulin, Aberlour, Balvenie, Talisker, etc. Even thought they're stupid expensive. I'm a terrible person. Ugh.

Ah. Interesting. I can't stand the smoke taste. I don't like anything overly smoky either, including bbq. Rather limits the scotches I enjoy.

I'm doing the same and now adding a variety of flavors and tend to mix what I drink and moving away from the same taste all the time. I keep adding more and more bottles just to have on hand despite the cabinet being full, storage being full, and now have several bottles just on the counter that I have no idea where to put any of them.

rt

May 13, 2004
I love cigars. And I love smoking meat on wood chips out back. I like sauces with smoked ingredients. I'm a smoke lover. I'm probably filled with tumors and have no idea. Haha.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I have liquid smoke for making bbq sauce. Maybe you can just mix it with cheap liquor and save some money ;)

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Now that the conversation seems to be pointed towards BBQ...I'm considering getting one soon. I'd like to get a nice 4-burner.

Anyone have any experience with Dyna-Glo? Are they any good?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
3 bottles for $110, haha, clearly there is more than one definition for "a very strict budget" ;)

tumblr_mb1h5glX1n1r4c1k8o1_250.gif

As long as we're splurging, there's a scotch in Korea called "Scotch Blue" ... 21 year blend, no smokiness at all, maybe the smoothest one I've ever had. I can't find just a whole lot about it online (google searches are overrun by Johnny Walker blue) but I've seen 500mL bottles sell for anything from $40-$80 US equivalent. It's a name to remember if you're ever ... I dunno ... maybe if Total Wine goes full potato and starts selling Asian scotch. This stuff is a monster. So smooth.

Scotch%20Blue%2021%20Year%20Old.jpg

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Terrorist attack in Nice, France during the Bastille Day celebration. Guy drove an 18-wheeler through the crowd. Think of it like happening at a 4th of July event here in the US.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Terrorist attack in Nice, France during the Bastille Day celebration. Guy drove an 18-wheeler through the crowd. Think of it like happening at a 4th of July event here in the US.

This world sucks. Back to the scotch.

Id like to try some of the Asian whiskys at some point. Ive had one which was good. Heard good things for the most part.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm afraid the lone wolf attack is headed in the same direction as the school shootings, it's basically terror going viral.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Assuming the details are true, lone wolves dont typically get a hold of grenades. That takes a network. But the lone wolf track is probably easier to pull off and harder to catch, if that is your point.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm becoming immune to things like that happening. It just seems to be happening more and more, or is it because the media is just covering it more? Can't believe the amount killed and injured in that attack, just terrible.

Sidenote, I work at 24th Street and Camelback, and apparently there is a protest there tomorrow. They sent an email out that we are closing the office at noon and everyone is urged to work from home if you can. Really hope nothing happens down there, it's a very busy intersection all day long.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I'm becoming immune to things like that happening. It just seems to be happening more and more, or is it because the media is just covering it more? Can't believe the amount killed and injured in that attack, just terrible.

Sidenote, I work at 24th Street and Camelback, and apparently there is a protest there tomorrow. They sent an email out that we are closing the office at noon and everyone is urged to work from home if you can. Really hope nothing happens down there, it's a very busy intersection all day long.

Found out about the scheduled protest earlier today and adjusted my plans to pick up my daughter. I'll start my weekend at noon tomorrow.

rt

May 13, 2004
I've stopped seeing and hearing the news.

Please listen to "home of the brave" and "this american life" podcasts and stop having anything to do with other media.

Step two in life improvement 101 is get a great whisky to drink. And drink it often. I've found a new one and I love it. In fact it's not a whisky at all but a whiskey which is uncharted territory. It's from the land of my ancestors. My father's folks were from a place called County Cork. Where they make a drink called Redbreast. And it's a wonderful drink.

Mantip:
A) buy a bottle of Redbreast 12 ($50)
B) buy a Padron 6000 Cigar ($8)
C) download the This American Life episode "The Friendly Man"
D) drink, smoke, listen, meditate, grow, enjoy

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have often wondered how to obtain leverage on a person or a group that appears to covet only our destruction, so as to modify their behavior as an individual or as a group. They have no farm to lose, no house to destroy, nothing of material value that they covet.They are fanatics in the true sense of the word.

The answer I came to is that there is no way to obtain leverage. We either let the Muslim extremist phenomena burn itself out over time, accepting our civilian losses, picking off a terrorist here, a terrorist there, or we pull a General Sherman and scorch the earth where the recruits come from. Both options are inherently risky, morally repugnant and not in the keeping with our national tenets. Still, they may be the only options.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I have often wondered how to obtain leverage on a person or a group that appears to covet only our destruction, so as to modify their behavior as an individual or as a group. They have no farm to lose, no house to destroy, nothing of material value that they covet.They are fanatics in the true sense of the word.

The answer I came to is that there is no way to obtain leverage. We either let the Muslim extremist phenomena burn itself out over time, accepting our civilian losses, picking off a terrorist here, a terrorist there, or we pull a General Sherman and scorch the earth where the recruits come from. Both options are inherently risky, morally repugnant and not in the keeping with our national tenets. Still, they may be the only options.

So sayeth the tree of bonsai. Haha.

Read the first paragraph and thought he was talking about BoH. :amazed:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

The long term solution is to strike at their center of gravity, which in my assessment is their ideology. but it must come from the Muslim world, not the west.

The short term solution to minimize attacks is robust intelligence that drives vigorous direct action.

P.S. hfboards looks different on my droid this morning...much better. Changes to the website?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad