Arizona Coyotes Lounge XI - We Have Melted

Status
Not open for further replies.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
For me the tough part was not sleeping for eight months. My main advice would be sneak sleep in where you can. Never stay up late on purpose or wake up early for any reason other than baby. Respect all the hours of sleep you can get.

Other small tidbits; do the hospital tour. Let them show you and you baby mama around and tell you what to expect. It helps knowing where to park, what to bring, and how everything will work. Makes everyone more comfortable.

Don't use those organic hippy diapers. They don't work at all. You'll be covered in urine. Just buy the regular pampers that have been around forever. They're popular for a reason. They work.

Don't let your kid sleep with you. Ever. No matter what. My brother and his wife did this. They were stuck with babies in their bed for years. Screw that. Baby has their bed and you have yours. It seems easier in the beginning but don't play with that fire man. You'll regret it.

Buy a bottle warmer. Absolutely worth it.

Even though it seems like your child is out to get you and is making your life harder on purpose, they aren't. When youre exhausted and frustrated you WILL believe the baby has it in for you. It doesn't. It's just a baby. Remember that and be less frustrated and crazy. Haha

When the child becomes a toddler, NEVER allow the kid to win a battle of wills or argument. Stick your guns always and be a fascist authoritarian always. That said, give the kid two options and let it choose. You'll have less fights that way. When the kid doesn't want to stop doing something. Tell them they get one more turn and then it's over. You'll have less fights that way. So a countdown from three before time out, they usually work. Act like time out is terrible. Even though with a toddler it lasts about 90 seconds. Haha.

Have the kid down for naps and bedtime at as close to exactly the same time as possible. Routine is important for these little suckers. Fight with them if they wake up too early. Tell them it's night time until it's the time you want them to wake up and then throw a huge happy party about how it's morning now and everything is great because it's 6am and not 5:30am. They'll learn to try to sleep or keep quite until they get that version of you in the room instead of the go back to sleep version. Again, that's for toddlers. Babies do what they want. Haha.

It's hard to explain. Just read up. Don't listen to anything that doesn't sound like common sense. There are tons of quacks out there. There's some infamous breast feeding Internet forum too that's especially bad. Try to protect your baby mama from it. La Leche League. It's filled with ****ing lunatics who only want to shame you and make you feel guilty. But theyre nut jobs. Stay away.

This post made me laugh and shake my head at the same time. I agree with parts of what you said, but the others are a little out there .

We do the "hippy" diapers you were referring to. They are also called cloth diapers. We have both. Cloth for home and disposable ones for when we're out.

We do co sleeping. All of our kids have slept with us and I can say, 4 of the 5 are in their own beds. The 3 month old is still with us. She is our best sleeper too. Also our only thumb sucker. She took a pacifier when she was just born, but that was it.

I'd say you need to learn to pick your battles. Don't sweat the small rocks. If you fight over everything, you will lose the war.

Breastfeeding is always best. If the wife can't nurse, they should never feel bad or ashamed. My wife has been able to nurse all of our kids. Our 1 1/2 year old seems to never want to stop. Haha. I'm sure it's only because her sister is nursing at the moment. Every group I've ever see in regards to la Leche league have been very supportive of the moms needs. You guys must have had a bad experience or something.

All kids are different. What works with one won't with the others and vice versa.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our kid has slept in our bed once. It was last weekend from 3:30am to 7am. He had his bassinet next to our bed for a very short time. We kicked him out ASAP. My wife breastfed without issue for 8mo and had 3mo worth of frozen milk saved up. So the kid got ten months of the real deal, two months of moms milk mixed with formula and then went to cows milk. If I recall correctly. It's all a blur. Haha.

I've no experience with cloth diapers. I meant the organic, nature, yada yada whatever diapers people gave us for the earth or so our kid didn't get autism or bird flu or whatever horrible things regular diapers are supposed to do to kids that they never did to any of us. They were like brown-ish and had like a plant logo. You know, so you can tell it's the responsible choice. For the earth goddes spirit and ****. Haha. Anyway, the pee comes right out the sides because they don't have the chemicals that absorb the pee like actual diapers. Which is kinda necessary. But hey, being covered in urine is like earthy and natural I guess. Cloth seems legit though. Maybe a lot of work. Pampers were fine for us. Maybe expensive I've heard. But I have no reference point. I try not to sweat the cost of staple items.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This post made me laugh and shake my head at the same time. I agree with parts of what you said, but the others are a little out there .

We do the "hippy" diapers you were referring to. They are also called cloth diapers. We have both. Cloth for home and disposable ones for when we're out.

We do co sleeping. All of our kids have slept with us and I can say, 4 of the 5 are in their own beds. The 3 month old is still with us. She is our best sleeper too. Also our only thumb sucker. She took a pacifier when she was just born, but that was it.

I'd say you need to learn to pick your battles. Don't sweat the small rocks. If you fight over everything, you will lose the war.

Breastfeeding is always best. If the wife can't nurse, they should never feel bad or ashamed. My wife has been able to nurse all of our kids. Our 1 1/2 year old seems to never want to stop. Haha. I'm sure it's only because her sister is nursing at the moment. Every group I've ever see in regards to la Leche league have been very supportive of the moms needs. You guys must have had a bad experience or something.

All kids are different. What works with one won't with the others and vice versa.

The funny part about being a parent is you go into it with preconceived ideas of all the things you are going to do or not do, but then it all changes once you have your first child. After that, you think you have it figured out but the second child and situation is different then the first, so you do things a little differently again. Once you have had a and raised a few children you realize that their is no "right way" to raise kids and you can have 2 children raised the same basic way but turn out completely differently.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Our kid has slept in our bed once. It was last weekend from 3:30am to 7am. He had his bassinet next to our bed for a very short time. We kicked him out ASAP. My wife breastfed without issue for 8mo and had 3mo worth of frozen milk saved up. So the kid got ten months of the real deal, two months of moms milk mixed with formula and then went to cows milk. If I recall correctly. It's all a blur. Haha.

I've no experience with cloth diapers. I meant the organic, nature, yada yada whatever diapers people gave us for the earth or so our kid didn't get autism or bird flu or whatever horrible things regular diapers are supposed to do to kids that they never did to any of us. They were like brown-ish and had like a plant logo. You know, so you can tell it's the responsible choice. For the earth goddes spirit and ****. Haha. Anyway, the pee comes right out the sides because they don't have the chemicals that absorb the pee like actual diapers. Which is kinda necessary. But hey, being covered in urine is like earthy and natural I guess. Cloth seems legit though. Maybe a lot of work. Pampers were fine for us. Maybe expensive I've heard. But I have no reference point. I try not to sweat the cost of staple items.

I agree with those types of diapers. I love the pampers for infants. With the line that changes colors once they pee. Makes life so much easier!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My favorite of all the ones used in the state:

mtTXSHVAnrw1Z0xfFh7SKPg.jpg

Second favorite would be the Black Kachina.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My wife is from the east coast and so are her friends, and obviously her family. I'm from Arizona. She and everyone she knows thinks of amazing vacations as tropical, Equatorial, sunshine and warm weather escapes. I was born here and I don't give a **** about the sunshine or the palm trees. She and her friends who she met in Pennsylavania, met each other in Richmond, and are now married in Charlotte want to go to some All Inclusive Resort thing in Cancun.

Little do they know that it's MUCH more appealing to me to go to Richmond or Charlotte. I love the middle Atlantic coastal US. I have zero interest in some tourist enclave in Mexico with sugary blended drinks. It's going to cost an amazing fortune to do this and I just am not interested at all. I went to Hawaii last year. It was fine. I have no interest in going back. If you want beaches and Palm trees, I'd rather go to San Diego for 25% the cost and 400% the convenience. I don't want to fly all the way to Hawaii. I don't want to fly all the way to Cancun. San Diego is right there, and I can have so much more for so much less money.

So anyway, the wife is the boss and I'm sure I'm going to Cancun. As much as I'd prefer to stay at home and just blow a ton of money on fantastic restaurants and spas right here at home. I'm going to end up captive in some Pejorative Sluredly expensive and boxed in resort. My question is, who has had experience with this I kind of walled in retreat? What does "all inclusive" mean and how much freedom to I get to keep?

Can I have a cigar or will I be hauled off to jail. If I don't want to drink sugary frozen frilly drinks or nasty Mexican beers, do I lose my "inclusive" drink privileges? Will I even have the option to purchase liquor and beer that doesn't suck? Can I go to a liquor store or a grocery store and buy stuff I want? Or do I have to be dependent on the resort for everything?

I'm really apprehensive about this. I hate the concept of having no freedom or self reliance. If I can't have groceries, I'll lose it. If I don't have the choice whether to smoke or not (I rarely smoke but I HAVE to know the option exists) I'll lose it. I like the idea of nice pools and beaches. I like the idea of lounging around. I'm sure the restaurants are nice. Which I like. I like eating, drinking and relaxing more than anything. I don't want to go into the ocean, I'd rather go to the DMV or serve jury duty than zip line or bungee jump or parasail. I'd rather be doing my taxes than mountain biking any day. I basically ****ing hate activities. I dislike tourist stuff immensely.

I'm feeling fairly certain that I'll be spending 25-50% more than my dream vacation to end up on some hot as beach with palm trees that feels just like home, made to feel like an ******* for skipping all of the "fun" stuff that I'd rather just go to work in my cubicle than do, and feel driven mad by compromised freedoms the whole time.

This is the whiniest crybabiest post of all time and it's a great problem to have. But damn. If I'm going to blow my once in a lifetime vacation opportunity, this is the LAST thing I'd want to do. I'd rather go to Flagstaff than Cancun anytime. I like Sedona. San Diegon is fine. Virginia or Baltimore I'd love. I want to go to Montreal and Quebec City. Maine I'd love to see. Charleston would be awesome. I'd like to go back to Vancouver. Obviously I'd kill to go to western or central or Northern Europe. Mexico? No thanks. I'm happier right at home. Not at all appealing. I've zero interest in being closer to the equator than I a now. No interest in being in some depressed area in the tropics that we have to be in some walled off golden prison. Hawaii was fine. And 10x as expensive as San Diego and not significantly more impressive to me.

Also I should mention my first preference would be not to spend this money at all and continue to sock it away and not use it.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
An acquaintance recently visited Greenland and enjoyed it. Who picked Hawaii? If it was her, say it's your turn to pick and you want to go to Greenland (depending on when the vacation is, I suppose) or some other place. Of course you have to pick somewhere with touristy things.

Of course you may not want to take marital (or any relationship) advice from the single, 40-something, never been married guy :laugh:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also I should mention my first preference would be not to spend this money at all and continue to sock it away and not use it.

You really are Don Maloney :sarcasm:

I have no resort advice/experience, but I do recommend you start a blog. That and the baby diaper post were both fun/amusing reads.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's weird, with an attitude like that I can't imagine you not having a good time. :sarcasm:

I've had an oddly travel filled past year that had me in Costa Rica, Europe and New York and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Sure Europe was my favorite but I had awesome times at the other places too. You just have to embrace wherever you go and take advantage of what it has to offer. Don't act like some old codger who's stuck in his ways and thinks everything but what he likes sucks. Stop taking yourself so seriously and get the biggest, fruitiest, most over the top island drink ever and ****ing enjoy it. I guarantee your attitude will have a far greater impact on your vacation than any particular destination!

That said I would make it clear to the wife that you get to pick the next vacation. Oh and one more thing, I've never been but my friends who have been to all inclusive resorts (Sandals) absolutely rave about them and these people travel A LOT!!!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It's weird, with an attitude like that I can't imagine you not having a good time.

Stop taking yourself so seriously and get the biggest, fruitiest, most over the top island drink ever and ****ing enjoy it. I guarantee your attitude will have a far greater impact on your vacation than any particular destination!!

Yeah, having grown up in Florida, lived here for over 20 years, and just spent a week in Hawaii, I'm with you, rt, but...

I'm betting you'll do fine. Plus I've heard great things about Playa del Carmen, a little bit south of there. I'm sure you'll let us all know how it goes...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Once you have had a and raised a few children you realize that their is no "right way" to raise kids and you can have 2 children raised the same basic way but turn out completely differently.

True, but there are wrong ways.

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
BTDT about 18 yrs ago. Stayed at one of the palaces, sun, moon, mayan etc. there a 5 of them and you've got privileges at all of them. We went down to dive the cenotes which was awesome and the lagoon was cool( turtles and dolphins) the wall at cosumel was great. If you dont dive you can learn and then open water cert down there IIRC. The trip out to chicen itza was cool if you like that stuff. long drive, bum around the place for a couple of hours and long ride back. Day is shot on that one. It is a giant tourist trap but wasnt a bad week. i think it was $800 w airfare per person.I'm sure its easily double that now. Food was meh, alcohol was flowing and the fruit was fresh. wouldnt do it again but it was OK for what it was.
Did the Hawaii thing also. once was enough. It is literally Phx w a beach. BTDTGTTS. Have fun.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I'm really apprehensive about this. I hate the concept of having no freedom or self reliance. If I can't have groceries, I'll lose it. If I don't have the choice whether to smoke or not (I rarely smoke but I HAVE to know the option exists) I'll lose it. I like the idea of nice pools and beaches. I like the idea of lounging around. I'm sure the restaurants are nice. Which I like. I like eating, drinking and relaxing more than anything. I don't want to go into the ocean, I'd rather go to the DMV or serve jury duty than zip line or bungee jump or parasail. I'd rather be doing my taxes than mountain biking any day. I basically ****ing hate activities. I dislike tourist stuff immensely.

I'm feeling fairly certain that I'll be spending 25-50% more than my dream vacation to end up on some hot as beach with palm trees that feels just like home, made to feel like an ******* for skipping all of the "fun" stuff that I'd rather just go to work in my cubicle than do, and feel driven mad by compromised freedoms the whole time.

Just short of "10 minutes to Wapner."

28e445e77ff1964d554c07f2bb1d442b.jpg

You would get to see a lot of history in the Maryland/Virginia area. Fort McHenry in Baltimore, where Francis Scott Key was inspired to write The Star Spangled Banner during the War of 1812. Civil War Battlefields; Manassas, Gettysburg, Antietam, are all in the neighborhood. If you grow up around it, you may not appreciate it as much. Hope you have fun whatever happens.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
My wife is from the east coast and so are her friends, and obviously her family.
I did a work trip to the Philippines a couple months ago and was stuck in a pseudo-resort. There were rules on paper that didn't get enforced as long as we were discreet about breaking them. And the food was 10x more exotic for 1/3 the price just outside the gates of the box resort. I can still taste the pig and chicken hearts casserole mmmmm haha.

How old is baby? Stay at home with baby, vacation for Mrs rt and her friends. Good excuse for rt to eat Ranch House Grill and Four Peaks and Lenny's every day for a week, all while still making money to pay for all this.

House sitting for her east coast friends?

If you have to go somewhere but can talk her out of the all-inclusive resorts (agree that they're not that great), Montego Bay, Jamaica or Port of Spain, Trinidad will both be a more "authentic" experience than a box resort while still being heavy English / safe spots. Just an idea.

Woman's initial reaction to solo vacations is typically negative, but in my experience (girlfriends only, not with a wife) you can get this done if you want. Avondale Girl I was dating a couple years ago went to Napa with her friends while I followed the team on the EDM/CGY/VAN road trip ... amazing. A tough sell at first, but "this is something I want to do that you don't" card and "you'll have more fun just with the girls" cards did the trick.

"Socking away the money and not using it" is damn near an impossible sell unless you can lay out both a cheap alternative (San Diego) and some larger, long-term goal (Western Europe), but I think every guy in the world supports that sentiment haha :brofist:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I've never been to Hawaii but I have to assume you people insinuating it's basically Phoenix with water are mildly autistic.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
This is the whiniest crybabiest post of all time and it's a great problem to have... Not at all appealing. I've zero interest in being closer to the equator than I a now. No interest in being in some depressed area in the tropics that we have to be in some walled off golden prison...

Maybe whiny and crybabyish, but that was an enjoyable read!

I'm going well away from the Equator in September, to Iceland. Airfare was surprisingly low, and we're renting a microvan decked out as a tiny camper to save on those northern European lodging costs. It will take the full 12 days to drive the Ring Road, and as always, we won't be at any resorts, and certainly won't be part of an organized tour.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Did the Hawaii thing also. once was enough. It is literally Phx w a beach.

I've lived in AZ for roughly 10 yrs, but also lived in Hawaii for 5 years. You need to try Hawaii again, because I don't think you experienced all it has to offer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Besides the tropical climate/ecosystem, volcanoes/lava, deep sea fishing, snorkling and scuba, luaus, food, and a dozen other things, it is literally Phoenix with a beach.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
My favorite of all the ones used in the state:

mtTXSHVAnrw1Z0xfFh7SKPg.jpg

Second favorite would be the Black Kachina.
It's as if somebody turned the 90s into a jersey. So many memories, though. I went nuts when I got a Chambers jersey, right after they switched from the old uniforms. They should bring these back.

As of right now, the Coyotes 3rd is beating the current D-Backs alternates. By one vote. Who's the man? I am. I'm the man.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's as if somebody turned the 90s into a jersey. So many memories, though. I went nuts when I got a Chambers jersey, right after they switched from the old uniforms. They should bring these back.

I think they did for a throwback game or two last year.

I also like the originals too.

gallery_hawkins_uniform.jpg

The current purples are okay. The ones I hate hate hate are the ones with PHX from the generation prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad