Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Nick Schmaltz Extension (7 years, 5.85M AAV)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Anyone saying that this is a huge overpay needs to go check out Tom Wilson's contract

I forgot that Schmaltz played a big role in his team winning the cup.

At this point in time, this contract gets a yikes from me. 7 years is a long time. I hope it pays off for the Yotes. I am by no means rooting against them.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm guessing you'll see year-to-year variance in the deal which benefits the Coyotes. The question is whether he got a signing bonus for 2020 and how much his salary is that season.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This is part of the reason Chicago traded him. He was rumored to asked for a big long term deal and he's been frightening inconsistent and always a passenger type player. His effort was always questioned and you have to wonder if he just checks out for the next 7 years

He was always rumored to be in the $6 per ballpark but Arizona should have really bridged him here to prove his worth and what kind of player he is. I would have cringed if Chicago gave him this because he looks like a big money player that might not live up to that deal

But Arizona has to hand out bigger contracts to get guys to stay so it's kind of a push

Reactions: _Del_

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Chakya signing him now was perfect. Giving him a bridge would given Schmaltz all the leverage. Excellent signing which is already a bargain and will look like a steal when he starts playing to his potential.
Couldn't disagree more. Arizona is taking virtually all the risk in this deal, especially giving this to him after a very brief audition and in the middle of recovering from major knee surgery to an already contact adverse player

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The “risk” is on the back end.

EDIT: Morgan followed up with tweet stating SB for year three is $1M and not $1.5

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
In the last decade, the Coyotes have had 3 players hit 60 points in 1 season once each (Doan, Vrbata, Keller), and one player hit 70 points once (Ray Whitney). That should give a sense for how desperate the Coyotes are for offense.

Reactions: rt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't even think he's a center in the NHL. Awful at faceoffs, terrible compete in the defensive zone... He is much more a winger. It's what he played the majority of his time in Chicago.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
That's a bit much for what he is today. 50 point player getting 5.85 is an overpayment. Hopefully he can get better so the deal looks better.

W. Nylander has 26pts in 49 games since holding out for his 6.9m deal on a highly offensive team.

Arizona needs to reach the floor somehow, so if you want to be out of the media, collect a nice pay cheque but never compete for a cup....sign long term with Arizona.

Smart move by him to sign that deal, he can always get traded to a better team if he proves his worth.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That's market value these days.

Maybe but still depends on the player and team. Coyotes kinda have to overpay guys to stay/come there. While Guentzel stays in Pitt for 6 years 6mil. We've already seen what he can do in the playoffs and now responds with 38g 33a this year

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
That's a bit much for what he is today. 50 point player getting 5.85 is an overpayment. Hopefully he can get better so the deal looks better.
Kinda like Nylander 7mil at 60pts.
Edit: didnt see you already got burned lol

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I feel like the Yotes are recklessly gambling on all their young players so they don't have to pay them as much if they pan out...

Bold move, Cotton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad