Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Nick Schmaltz Extension (7 years, 5.85M AAV)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
6 million for Schmaltz lol good grief.

Proven more than Tuch had last year. That is turning out to be a great deal. If Schmaltz keeps developing or just scoring at the level has has done the last two seasons its a solid deal and will be a great deal in his ufa years.

He isnt Tuch. Actually watching the player is a real thing still. Tuch clearly has an elite skillset and is a huge skilled hockey player that can fly.

Reactions: Emerz

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If I were Chayka, I wouldn't have committed 7 years to him coming off of an ACL. A lot of Schmaltz's game is based on his speed. A 2-3 year bridge would have been more prudent.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is on par what the Chicago media was saying after the trade went down this year. Bowman went to Schmaltz' camp to see where he was for a contract extension and I believe he was north of 6 mil. Bowman was never going to give him that, but Im glad to see Nick get paid. Wish him well in Arizona, I liked him here when he was a Hawk, but he never could get the consistency thing down.

Reactions: Kdotsection88

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Man, I sure hope Galchenyuk is next. He’s been our best forward this season. Very impressed with Galchenyuk since becoming 100% recovered from his injury.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel like people who are saying this deal is bad aren't paying attention to the deals that are being handed out right now.

Waiting for capfriendly to add his new deal to use the compare feature. I know it's been 2-3 years but looking at what Mack, Barkov and Scheifele etc got is severely underpaid. Crazy to think in another 2-3 years, $12-14 million will be the norm for elite 20-23 yr old players going forward.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
... he never could get the consistency thing down.
It’s pretty rare for players to find consistency at a high level on their ELCs.

Schmaltz is the only factor that’s been able to get Keller going this season. Apart from his time with Schmaltz, Keller has been hugely disappointing this season.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I’m really interested to see how this plays out. Schmaltz has the raw ability to make this contract look like a steal but he has stretches where hell look really disinterested and he won’t engage. I’m also curious to see how he responds to that injury. He was noticeably worse after his concussion with the hawks mainly due to how different he played. He got the concussion cutting into the center of the ice with the puck and got hit high. When he returned from that he avoided cutting the middle at all costs and you could just tell he was a lot more nervous to get hit. He lost the puck quite a few times bailing out from contact when he could have taken a hit to make a play.

So I’m really curious to see if Schmaltz is gonna be one of those guys that gets his money and mails it in while playing in a small market or if he’s gonna return with something to prove. Gonna have my eye on it for sure.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Is it me or Chayka got that weird timing of signing players long term when their out with serious injuries!!?? Did the same with Dvorak,Chychrun and now Schmaltz??

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Even with his disjointed season he's on pace for 50 points. Bit of a gamble but in a few years 5.85m will probably be on the cheap side for a consistent 20 goal 50 point player.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
When I saw 7 years I was expecting something like $4.5m. This could work out but that is a big overpayment.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Jesus... Coyotes have a weird strategy when it comes to deals. Really gunning for getting unproven guys on those Josi type contracts.
This is exactly what I think they're trying. Sign everyone long term on what is an overpay now, end up with a steal 2-3 years down the line.

It worked for us with Draisaitl... Idk if it'll work for everyone u24 on the Coyotes.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Great deal for a future #1C.

At that price, you can have two Schmaltz for the price of 1 Auston Matthews! Pretty good.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seems like a lot of money and term for someone so unproven.

However, this has a decent chance of becoming a steal. Still, I'd like to see the player prove a little more. I'd have bridged.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad