Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Nick Schmaltz Extension (7 years, 5.85M AAV)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is exactly what I think they're trying. Sign everyone long term on what is an overpay now, end up with a steal 2-3 years down the line.

It worked for us with Draisaitl... Idk if it'll work for everyone u24 on the Coyotes.
Yeah, it'd be different if it was Keller or something. But I don't think this will end up well, though I'm no expert.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Strange strange contract given his lack of a proven track record. Certainly a gamble but it could end up paying off.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Amazing contract so long as there aren't buyout proof bonuses. These contracts can be bought out at a 1/6 cap hit ratio before 26, so they are very low risk.

This is what every team with the cap space should be doing with the rising cap. Go look at the same reaction to the Tuch contract last year where some posters thought it was too much too soon. When teams have a window to sign a young top 6 player at 7-8 years due to a limited resume, they need to take it.

The cap will be almost or above 90 million 2 years from now. Great contract.

Reactions: BKarchitect

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
way too much. Larkin got 150 k more. Larkin is far superior.

Term.

7 years vs 5.

The cap has also been further validated as climbing since it's set to go up AGAIN another 3+ million.

I don't get the reaction to this contract. Especially on twitter. I don't think people get that a major component to building a contender in the post 2012 CBA where teams can no longer have these fake artificially low cap hits will be teams identifying their young players who've yet to fully processed themselves and locking those players down 7-8 years before they do and can ask for 8-12 million.

This is an A+ signing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Strange strange contract given his lack of a proven track record. Certainly a gamble but it could end up paying off.
Well, it’s a roll of the dice for both sides.

A bridge would have been worth around $6 or $7 million total for 2 years. What would the next 5 years be worth? His new dea is around $41 million so subtracting $7 million is $34 million. If he is a $7 million per player after the bridge it evens out. Coyotes would get a $1 mill cap savings during those years but given they have an internal cash cap it would not matter much.

Now if he plateaus as is only a 50 odd point guy then it’s a slight over payment. But with a rising cap that’s still a decent cap hit for a 2C.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
I love how every couple of years, a player what would have been a 3.5m dollar player turns into a 5.85m and the 5.85 m guys are making 7.5 to 8m. Wish the rest of the job market in the world moved at this speed but its more a 2.5 percent increase a year.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
This is one of those contracts where you hope he'll "grow into it".

Nearly a 6M cap hit for a player coming off an ELC who is career PPG 0.58

And he has played just 17 games for them...

How many times have we seen players get traded, produce a ton of points quickly, and then fall back off the next season. The contract is a bit rich imo. Would have guessed it would be more in the 4.5 - 4.75 range.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
And what will contracts be in 4-5 years? Cap only continues to increase. If he can produce like he was before getting injured, people might be saying he is underpaid down the road. Coyotes playing the long game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Disgusting

This is EXACTLY why Bowman got rid of him. Hawks made out like huge bandits on that trade

I assumed it was going to be a overpaying contract of about 4.5 mill over 7 years... But nope it's even worse... 5.85? Like cmon thats gross

Reactions: Andrei79

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Schmaltz is a good player, I think the contract is fine, people are flipping out over the term but the guy just turned 23 like a month ago. He's only a year older than Strome. Production isn't the issue with him, it's just health. In a vacuum, Strome for Schmaltz is a lot more fair than people are portraying. I think there's more offensive upside in Strome and it looks like a great deal for Chicago given his chemistry with guys like DeBrincat and Kane but from a Coyotes point of view - they haven't been half bad since that deal and that's basically without Schmaltz even on the ice (though he looked quite good when he was).

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That is a ridiculous overpayment. I think Chayka wants to prove he got the better player in the trade and that his player warrants bigger salary.

And of course Bowman will now raise the stakes. Just wait for Strome's extension...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't you want to see how he comes back from season-ending injury first?
His elc ends this year so he needs a new deal. He put up 52 points with Chicago in year 2. Slow start to this season but had 14 in 17 games with the coyotes.

They could have bridged him but are gambling that he’ll continue to get better.

Bo Horvat 2 years ago signed for 6 years at $5.5 per coming off 25-40-50 point seasons in his elc. You pay a higher cap due to the term when you’re buying up 3 ufa years.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Amazing contract so long as there aren't buyout proof bonuses. These contracts can be bought out at a 1/6 cap hit ratio before 26, so they are very low risk.

This is what every team with the cap space should be doing with the rising cap. Go look at the same reaction to the Tuch contract last year where some posters thought it was too much too soon. When teams have a window to sign a young top 6 player at 7-8 years due to a limited resume, they need to take it.

The cap will be almost or above 90 million 2 years from now. Great contract.

This.

That is a ridiculous overpayment. I think Chayka wants to prove he got the better player in the trade and that his player warrants bigger salary.

And of course Bowman will now raise the stakes. Just wait for Strome's extension...

Schmaltz just turned 23, already has a 52 point season in the NHL under his belt and was nearly PPG for the Coyotes before he got hurt. I just don't understand all this hand-ringing.

Reactions: Slyfox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad