Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Nick Schmaltz Extension (7 years, 5.85M AAV)

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Not terrible, I think he can be a fine #2C, but definitely not good. Bridge deal would have made more sense for someone as streaky/inconsistent as him.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Wow seems a little pricey now, but provided he can produce at a similar rate to his short stint with Arizona pre injury, it could be a nice contract for the team. Very interested to see how the Strome/Schmaltz deal plays out going forward

Reactions: BHD

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
That Pastrnak contract becomes more and more legendary with each passing player coming off their entry level deal.

Sweeney seems to have a great record with paying his RFA's, lot of teams seem to be paying them like they are already UFA's.

Good on Schmaltz for giving himself financial security for life with this contract, not sure I'd like it all on my Bruins though, he's played one full season (kind of) with a shooting percent of 17.8% to get his 52 points, that isn't necessarily easily repeatable. Is he a good defensive player or anything? I see his faceoff percentage is 37% which is real bad.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
But $7M for 6o point player is absolutely fine, right?
No the nylander contract was also an overpayment. Especially due to the term. But nylander had hit 60 points in back to back seasons as opposed to pacing for 50 once and hitting it once, and also had better pedigree. Nylander is still a considerably better player than schmaltz despite this years struggle. This deal can look good if schmaltz can takes the next step and becomes a 60+ point player.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Ouch that one is gonna hurt Zona, schmaltz always kinda seemed like he never gave a shit in Chicago. Maybe he can turn it around and he will be a good player but I don’t think he fits on winning teams

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Pretty much on par with expectations. He's a second line center and that's about what second line centers on RFA deals make.

That said, also not hard to see why the Hawks bailed

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Wtf. He hasn’t even proven much. Good for him though. That’s some nice security
Proven more than Tuch had last year. That is turning out to be a great deal. If Schmaltz keeps developing or just scoring at the level has has done the last two seasons its a solid deal and will be a great deal in his ufa years.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad