Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done since taking over as GM?

Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done as GM thus far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We can't predict what moves get made this off season. Maybe Dubas surprises us skeptics and assembles a balanced hockey club in less than a month. I'm not optimistic but we can't comment on moves that haven't been made yet.

He's never done any big trades. Nylander should have been traded when he decided to "go overboard" on his negotiations.

Every deal is a failure:

Matthews - too short

Tavares - you dont acquire a finishing piece when the team isnt ready.

Marner - signing a long term deal after a good season by Tavares

Nylander - let himself get thrown around.

Al 4 deals were overpay.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The people currently signed can't take a pay cut, and the RFA's will laugh in their face about taking a shit deal after winning them a cup.

$5 million left with key RFA's to sign, and everyone besides Point with NMC or NTC contracts.

One and done. Hope they enjoyed it.

Pay cut for the players negotiating.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The people currently signed can't take a pay cut, and the RFA's will laugh in their face about taking a shit deal after winning them a cup.

$5 million left with key RFA's to sign, and everyone besides Point with NMC or NTC contracts.

One and done. Hope they enjoyed it.
we haven't won a round in how long and your taking a shot at the team that just won the cup ?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
He's never done any big trades. Nylander should have been traded when he decided to "go overboard" on his negotiations.

Every deal is a failure:

Matthews - too short

Tavares - you dont acquire a finishing piece when the team isnt ready.

Marner - signing a long term deal after a good season by Tavares

Nylander - let himself get thrown around.

Al 4 deals were overpay.

So the Muzzin trade wasn't a "big trade"?

Also - you make it sound like every decision is actually so easy and everyone is being tricked into thinking negotiations with professional athletes is some complex time consuming ordeal.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So the Muzzin trade wasn't a "big trade"?

Also - you make it sound like every decision is actually so easy and everyone is being tricked into thinking negotiations with professional athletes is some complex time consuming ordeal.
Big trades only means trading core players for a shit return, so more ire can be hurled at the GM.

Sheer stupidity in far too many posts.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Big trades only means trading core players for a shit return, so more ire can be hurled at the GM.

Sheer stupidity in far too many posts.

Good thing there is Blue Jays baseball tonight - get our minds off this regressing Leafs squad. Although it makes me concerned for the Jays next year too - they better not regress and miss the playoffs next year.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I see Pittsburgh has regressed to playoff afterthought too then.

Correct, Pittsburgh did not win their playoff qualifying round either.

See that's how it worked this year, for teams that finished 9-24, they had to win what was called a Playoff Qualifying Series, in order to be one of the 16 teams to continue competing for the Stanley Cup.

I assume you knew that, so what was the point of your post exactly?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Good thing there is Blue Jays baseball tonight - get our minds off this regressing Leafs squad. Although it makes me concerned for the Jays next year too - they better not regress and miss the playoffs next year.
Definitely. It means the in-over-his-head GM is ruining the team, and they need a rebuild because of all the heartless greedy players.

Did I miss anything?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That’s the entire point of the salary cap. The best teams can’t afford all their players and they leave

The salary cap and spending wisely is the key to success on the ice. Teams that manage their talent and get the best bang for their cap buck spending are often the most successful.

Spending harder rather than smarter is what leads to failure, and just because players are available doesn't mean you need to go UFA spending (a process that is inflationary by laws of supply and demand in nature) is often real bad for business when every dollar spent impacts your salary cap and your teams competitiveness.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I suppose I should have said that’s how the cap is supposed to work to create parity. Exceptionally good contracts can give teams an advantage just as much as exceptionally bad contracts can put teams at a disadvantage.

The cap as it structured now is flawed. It penalizes teams that have financial strength, and together with profit sharing also penalizes the financial stable/strong while propping up teams that maybe shouldn't even be in business. Maybe they should look at a different version of the "cap".

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The cap as it structured now is flawed. It penalizes teams that have financial strength, and together with profit sharing also penalizes the financial stable/strong while propping up teams that maybe shouldn't even be in business. Maybe they should look at a different version of the "cap".

Only flaw to the cap right now is the tax differences between teams that create advantages for low tax states.

Reactions: supermann_98

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
After watching the majority of playoff games I would have to say if Dubas stays true to his vision we are going in the wrong direction and that vision will require major eye surgery from another GM.

Right now I just can't see this team winning a 7 game series against most of the teams that made it and I don't see Dubas fixing the D or replacing Freddy with another goalie as good or better.

He needs the balls to move one of the big guys and I don't think he has them as that would admit he messed up all those contracts and they are 'his guys'.

Mar 14, 2011
The first stats I posted in that post were the combined 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 statistics, because that is the time period you specified when posting your Domi/Stamkos stats. Domi was behind the other players.

The 2nd group of stats I posted were the 3-year sample, in response to this post by you, discussing 3 year stats:

Domi was once again behind the other players.

Raw points over an arbitrary threshold is a pretty misleading way of comparing difficulty of scoring, especially considering you're comparing the furthest apart years, including half of a year that isn't even relevant because it came after the signing.

Even if we are to assume that league scoring rates are factored into contracts (haven't seen much evidence of this from anybody, not just Dubas), the extent that league scoring rates actually changed is grossly exaggerated, and it's not a direct correlation with difficulty of scoring. Only part of the actual change is because of external factors like equipment/OT. We're also in a period of high talent, after a dry spell from weaker drafts and significant injuries to high-end players. It wasn't just conversion caused by equipment changes; shots and chance generation also increased because of the influx of high-end talent, leading to part of the scoring increase.

But.. for the sake of the argument, let's assume that the entire change in league scoring rates is caused by external factors, and let's assume that GM/agents adjust for league scoring rates for contracts, and adjust McDavid's scoring to the league scoring rate for Matthews' sample:

ES Points/60

McDavid: 3.05
Matthews: 2.72

ES Primary points/60

Matthews: 2.36
McDavid: 2.33

ES Goals/60

Matthews: 1.59
McDavid: 1.07

PP Points/60

McDavid: 6.67
Matthews: 6.47

PP Primary points/60

Matthews: 5.06
McDavid: 3.74

PP Goals/60

Matthews: 2.95
McDavid: 0.97

It still wouldn't change all that much. McDavid the better point producer. Matthews the better primary point and goal producer, with a good case to be paid a similar amount.

We should also remember that McDavid is a great value contract historically, due to the 750k discount McDavid gave on the negotiated amount, so even if you wanted to argue that Matthews' contract is worse than McDavid's, that doesn't make Matthews' contract bad.
2016-2019

AM ES/60 2.71
AM ES primary/60- 2.34

McDavid ES/60- 3.27
McDavid ES primary/60- 2.62

During their respective rookie and sophmore season

McDavid ES/60- 2.98 (1st in the League)
McDavid ES primary/60- 2.32 only Sid and Geno was better

AM ES/60- 2.61 (10th in the League)
AM ES primary/60- 2.34 McDavid, Marchand and Geno are better

No matter how much you twist the stat, that is the result. Matthews was not the better primary point producer, no matter how you twist the numbers, your who argument pretty much lives and dies based on McDavid's rookie season when he played prior to the goalie change and the 3 vs 3 OT rule, every other season after that an McDavid just blows AM's numbers p/60, primary p/60 and raw point totals.

Also using league adjusted stat is pretty flawed in this scenario as the increase in goal scoring wasn't uniform at all as despite the massive surge in elite scoring, league average actually "only went up" by around .25 goals despite. So the changes were actually more beneficial to skilled elite players instead of the 40 point grinder, hence why I find it more useful to compare these guys relative to their peers. I.E. whatever adjustments you made is a gross understatement of the actual reality really is; their were only 17, 70 point players during McDavid's rookie season compare to 36 players during AM seasons.

Besides the reasons why McDavid was so much ahead of Matthews in secondary assist in the 1st place was because of how much more impact he has when he is on the ice and how much better he is at controlling the game. Secondary assist is still a valuable stat and it is one that McDavid absolutely owned AM in (well assist in general). I mean Corry Perry's primary ES stats from the shortened 2013 season until the 2014-2015 season (3 seasons) was actually .17 higher than Crosby's while also having a p/60 stat that was good enough to land him in 3rd place (better than AM) during that time period, yet not even Cory Perry himself will tell you that he was better than Sid during that period in time when everyone regarded Crosby as the best forward in the world. PRIMARY POINTS IS NOT EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Definitely.

They should look at one that favors the Leafs. It may be our only chance.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Good luck, it is currently how Gary wants. Friedman said he raised the option to allow teams not to count one player against the cap. It was immediately shot down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad