Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done since taking over as GM?

Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done as GM thus far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People tend to evaluate GM’s too much on a black and white scale.

I would say I’m happy with a lot of the moves that have been made. However, the results haven’t been there, but that’s part of the process. You don’t win the cup until you well, win the cup.

Dubas has seemingly excelled in recruitment. Mikheyev is a big get. Barabanov and Lehtonen both seem like additions that could be very beneficial in the current cap world at under 1M.

Jack Campbell was probably the best type of goalie we could have asked for, and it’s an acquisition that now has a lot of fans wondering if we can move Freddy and go with a cheaper 1A/1B system.

Jake Muzzin is terrific. I think that’s all that needs to be said. John Tavares is great. Still surreal he’s in a Leaf jersey. Jason Spezza came home.

The decision to waive McBackup for Sparks still bugs me. The Nazem Kadri for Barrie/Kerfoot trade didn’t work out, but I do wonder how the perception of that trade is, if Keefe was our coach since the start, as Barrie was more effective under him (though, invisible in the play in). I still think you can understand the mentality that went behind the trade though. Sometimes trades don’t work. Every GM has them.

While the Mitch Marner deal is uh.... not good, I think the William Nylander has turned out terrific for us. We’ve seen the returns of that Kapanen deal already. Johnsson and Kerfoot’s deals make them easily trade able.

Overall? There’s some really good, some good, some not so good. Kinda like every GM in the league lol.

This summer appears to be a key one in Dubas’ tenure.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Definitely indifferent. Players need to grow, GM as to adapt to how they are losing and acquire players smartly, and need some lucky trades, draft picks. I'm not going to over praise him because as a team they haven't done much, and I'm definitely not upset with him because of cap issues brought on by the previous GM and a bloody world pandemic.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not bad at all. Kadri trade sucked golf balls through garden hose.
Barrie pickin was bad
Muzzy got bite
Kerfoot was a step in the wrong direction
Rob-ertson was a steal
Yeah he’s been fine

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The defence needs to be re-done; not his fault as it's been 2 years.

He dug his grave with the big contracts up front.

He needs to redeem himself.

Happy with drafting, developing, coaching and management moves, and top 6 so far.

Not happy with the defence, goaltending, and bottom 6.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
People tend to evaluate GM’s too much on a black and white scale.

I would say I’m happy with a lot of the moves that have been made. However, the results haven’t been there, but that’s part of the process. You don’t win the cup until you well, win the cup.

Dubas has seemingly excelled in recruitment. Mikheyev is a big get. Barabanov and Lehtonen both seem like additions that could be very beneficial in the current cap world at under 1M.

Jack Campbell was probably the best type of goalie we could have asked for, and it’s an acquisition that now has a lot of fans wondering if we can move Freddy and go with a cheaper 1A/1B system.

Jake Muzzin is terrific. I think that’s all that needs to be said. John Tavares is great. Still surreal he’s in a Leaf jersey. Jason Spezza came home.

The decision to waive McBackup for Sparks still bugs me. The Nazem Kadri for Barrie/Kerfoot trade didn’t work out, but I do wonder how the perception of that trade is, if Keefe was our coach since the start, as Barrie was more effective under him (though, invisible in the play in). I still think you can understand the mentality that went behind the trade though. Sometimes trades don’t work. Every GM has them.

While the Mitch Marner deal is uh.... not good, I think the William Nylander has turned out terrific for us. We’ve seen the returns of that Kapanen deal already. Johnsson and Kerfoot’s deals make them easily trade able.

Overall? There’s some really good, some good, some not so good. Kinda like every GM in the league lol.

This summer appears to be a key one in Dubas’ tenure.
i think Dubas is flat out brutal

he took the eastern winners to 7 games in the POs last year and failed to even make the POs to a team that got booted in round 1

his speed skill philosophy will be the death of us ,,he is Anthopolous before the light went on , regarding character and other factors that you don't see on a f***ing spread sheet.

his RFA deals are terrible , his handling of back up tenders atrocious

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
i think Dubas is flat out brutal

he took the eastern winners to 7 games in the POs last year and failed to even make the POs to a team that got booted in round 1

his speed skill philosophy will be the death of us ,,he is Anthopolous before the light went on , regarding character and other factors that you don't see on a f***ing spread sheet.

his RFA deals are terrible , his handling of back up tenders atrocious
Which RFA deals? Johnsson, Kapanen? Kerfoot?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
My venn diagram of the guys that I've ignored and think Dubas should be fired ASAP are the same lmao.

He's been good. The mistakes are paying Marner like 2M too much, and the result of the Kadri trade- but it was justified at the time.

Drafting has looked fantastic so far. Good FA signings, good international FAs. Muzzin trade and Kapanen trade look awesome.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas has put himself in position that this is make or break season for him, and needs positive playoff results which speaks to his job performance to date in a results oriented business where individual transactions are measured by team success or failure overall.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Dubas has been decent so far. You can tell he's a smart guy and he's made some shrewd deals -- the issue is that the biggest moves he's made have been missteps. It's great that he's made good deals for Muzzin or Kapanen, but his inability to really hammer players during contract negotiations has hamstrung this team in any almost irreparable manner.

His biggest issue to date, in my opinion, is the Tavares signing. It forced Kadri to a ill-suited third line position and made him expendable which resulted in one of the worst trades in recent Leaf history. The signing also created massive cap issues as Tavares helped to set an internal cap for the team which laid the foundation for Matthews and Marner to sign exorbitant deals. Without Tavares, we could have had an extra 6.5 million to play with to help sign a defenseman and we'd probably have had Marner at a lower cap hit as well (say 1.5 million less, similar to Rantanen). We also could have accommodated Marleau last season on the 4th line and kept our first round pick.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I have liked his trades, even been impressed with them at times.

His cap management, mmm, not so much...

I do think he is figuring out this league now. He has to have the courage, conviction and most importantly, the objectivity to make the bold moves needed to ensure he continues to get a chance to build this team.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
He hasn't been the worse. Is better then JFJ or Burke but he still isn't good. Watching Lou take us to school isn't easy. We have to learn how to keep our powder dry until we're really ready. After decades of mismangement, we weren't ready yet for the next steps. Stay the course, give him some senior help and let's not make any rash moves until the system is teeming with prospects everywhere.

Find someone else to negotiate contracts too cause he clearly can't do that.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
My rough evaluation of the most important aspects of his job:

Drafting: A. Dubas has proven at every opportunity, no matter the pick, he will look to optimize value by capitalizing on market inefficiencies wherever he can. I didn't love the Durzi pick in 2018, but besides that, his record is really solid. Robertson and Sandin both look like home runs - finding borderline blue chip talent in the late first and second round is pretty impeccable. He's done as well as you could hope with late picks as well.

UFA Signings: A. This is another area where Dubas has undoubtedly excelled. From winning the Tavares sweepstakes, to recruiting guys like Ennis and Spezza, he's had a lot of success in the North American market; overseas, he's been equally impressive, recruiting guys like Mikheyev, Borgman, Rosen, and now Barabanov and Lehtonen. Even though these guys won't all work out, the more bullets we have in the chamber the more likely we are to find some legitimate talent to bolster our lineup.

Trades: B. The Kadri trade looks bad in retrospect, but I still maintain it was the right move to make at the time. Kadri had already punched his ticket out, and Barrie was a better player in Colorado than he showed himself to be here. I still hate the Marleau trade, but that's a far greater indictment on Lou than Dubas. Besides that, he's made some pretty shrewd moves; the Muzzin trade and the Kapanen trade are good examples.

RFA Negotiations: C-. The Nylander contract looks very good now, despite the two month holdout; the Matthews contract was about a million above market value for that term, but at least he was locked up early; and the Marner contract is still the biggest stain on his record, about $2 million above market value, but Marner can still absolutely grow into that contract. The cruel reality here is that these negotiations occurred at the worst possible time, as there was no way of knowing a global pandemic would lead to a flat cap for years to come

All in all, it's hard to see too many negatives here. People faulting Dubas for our mediocre defence are pretty misguided in my view; from drafting Sandin, to trading for Muzzin and Barrie, to signing Lehtonen now, he's clearly taking strides to address it. It's not an overnight fix.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Don't like some of the contracts (mainly just Marner's). The Kadri trade was right idea, poor execution. The rest I really like.

I think the big judgement is going forward. If he can't fix some of the issues, then we have a big problem. If he can while maintaining his vision, then great.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Completely indifferent. Made some really good moves, some headscrathers, and ones that didn't work out.

Certainly not as bad as some make him out to be, but I sure as heck don't think he has been this great next big thing GM wise who is going to revolutionize the way the game is GM'ed. I find him a little smug with his "I think I'm the smartest person in the room" tone, but whatever. On a personal level, he seems like a top notch guy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Am I crappy with the job Kyle Dubas has done since taking over as GM? :sarcasm:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm happy, so far. But I'll be livid if he trades Andersen for no reason.

Reactions: Sniper99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad