Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I hope they do much better than expected, some Aves fans have been nothing short of embarrassing about having their pick, so I hope to see it end up being outside the top 5.

I have a feeling Toronto fans have been more of a pain in the ass to Ottawa fans than us. The majority of us have been keeping the 2019 fist rounder talk in our own board (travel there at your own risk).

I personally hope Ottawa has a fun season and optimistic looks going forward with their young guys. Just don't blame me if I hope, at the end of the day, they end up at the bottom of the standings.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Honestly pleasantly surprised by Tkachuk/Lajoie. 19 and 20 year old routinely the best players on the ice. Add Duchene/Stone/Chabot and the team isn't half bad. Not going to make the playoffs but there's definitely 4-5 teams worse in this league.

Jacall

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't think we were talking about that.

They outplayed us, but give us a chance and it will be buried.
As I said the OTT game was all both Anderseon's
As a Sens fan, who also appreciates where the leafs are, and are headed. Anderson stopped two more than Andersen. Maybe a defense issue? My thoughts, or maybe one goalie couldn’t rise to the occasion?
Not trash talking. But being a realist

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I am just happy that we have been fun to watch. That is the biggest surprise. Tkachuk looks like a beast in the making. Lajoie is the biggest surprise because he is playing like a legit top 4 dman here, in this small sample size of games. Demelo surprisingly playing better then advertised. Chabot is coming of age. Tierney is better then I expected. Boedker showing he is a decent 2 way guy with some offense. Not sure how the rest of season will play out but this team is playing some quality hockey right now.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
As a Sens fan, who also appreciates where the leafs are, and are headed. Anderson stopped two more than Andersen. Maybe a defense issue? My thoughts, or maybe one goalie couldn’t rise to the occasion?
Not trash talking. But being a realist
shots where like 37-23 that game something like that. Your andy was simply better then our andy that night, also you guys scored a empty netter. Our goalie gave up only one more goal.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I didn't think we were talking about that.

They outplayed us, but give us a chance and it will be buried.
As I said the OTT game was all both Anderseon's

Keep telling yourself that. Ottawa's system is designed to give the opposing team more shots from the outside, but less quality shots.

Jacall

Oct 18, 2017
shots where like 37-23 that game something like that. Your andy was simply better then our andy that night, also you guys scored a empty netter. Our goalie gave up only one more goal.
Ok, again, our team did better, hence we won that game. The person I quoted said both Anderson/Andersen’s. Again, would you guys waive a game if your goalie stole it for you?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

This an average of shots allowed by Toronto compared to other teams (notice the huge sea of RED around the Leafs net):
TOR

This is Ottawa (most of the red is at the blue line):
OTT

But yeah... let's all blame it on Andersen when you constantly allow high quality chances.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Still not excited about this team, but I am cautiously optimistic. The thing that stands out is that nobody on the team is playing above a level of what they're capable of, save for maybe Lajoie (and who even knows what he's capable of, even though 6 games is a small sample size, he's looked excellent in every game, so maybe he just is a really good defenseman), and Tierney. I'm liking the character I've seen so far. Again, still very early in the season, but last year's team would've crumbled after those two losses against Boston and Philly, yet Ottawa bounced and played their best game of the season against LA, and then played a solid game against Dallas and came away with the win in both.

Doubt this team makes the playoffs, but if they continue the way they've been playing and they get solid goaltending for the entire season I also don't think they're going to be a bottom 5 team either.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
This an average of shots allowed by Toronto compared to other teams (notice the huge sea of RED around the Leafs net):
TOR

This is Ottawa (most of the red is at the blue line):
OTT

But yeah... let's all blame it on Andersen when you constantly allow high quality chances.
why are you using a season sample instead of the one game sample we were talking about?

OTT at TOR
OTT at TOR

Like i said your andy was just better, we killed it with shots and quality ones too.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You are talking about the mighty Leafs vs the mediocre Sens here
Shouldn’t even come down to goalies

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Dzingel - Duchene - White
Tkachuk - Smith - Stone
Formenton - Tierney - Boedker
Paajarvi - Pyatt - Ryan

Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman

Anderson