Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I won't be surprised if they're better than expected, they're playing a lot of rookies/young players. And say what you want about Melynk and how they're managed, they've always been a very good drafting/developing team.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They are playing on adrenaline. I give them max few more games. That defense and goaltending should be exploited at some point.

Great start for them

Cant wait for Colorado fans to be extra salty when the Sens dont end up being a bottom 5 team.

You can say a lot of things right now about the Sens, like some guys are over producing (Tierney and Demelo), some are under producing (Stone and Duchene).

But they are undeniably going to be a lot better than people gave them credit for. No one factored in that Tkachuk is 100% legit, and so are Chabot and Lajoie, and all 3 are going to make a real impact this year.

Its a small sample size thats true, but your going to have to make a better case than its just them running on adrenaline to anyone who has watched all 6 of the games.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I won't be surprised if they're better than expected, they're playing a lot of rookies/young players. And say what you want about Melynk and how they're managed, they've always been a very good drafting/developing team.

Thats the thing, all these predictions of pure doom and gloom were made before all of the rookies and Chabot exploded. So how can they not be better than expected at this point imo?

Also helps that the kids in Belleville are starting to light it up to.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Cant wait for Colorado fans to be extra salty when the Sens dont end up being a bottom 5 team.

You can say a lot of things right now about the Sens, like some guys are over producing (Tierney and Demelo), some are under producing (Stone and Duchene).

But the are undeniably going to be a lot better than people gave them credit for. No one factored in that Tkachuk is 100% legit, and so are Chabot and Lajoie, and all 3 are going to make a real impact this year.

Its a small sample size thats true, but your going to have to make a better case than its just them running on adrenaline to anyone who has watched all 6 of the games.

Nothing salty about this. I'm very happy we have the first round pick and I still think it will be top5 pick. 6 games won't change that. Regular season is 82 games. Sens have long way to go.

You seem overly optimistic.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I hope all the best for Sens but could you just suck this year? Please?

Regards: I want Hughes or Kakko for the Avs.

In all seriousness, being an underdog like this might just punch a mediocer or a bad team ovet their normal level. Last year Ottawa were depressed. Even if they have lost many pieces, a good spirit can create a lot of positivity...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Thats the thing, all these predictions of pure doom and gloom were made before all of the rookies and Chabot exploded. So how can they not be better than expected at this point imo?

Also helps that the kids in Belleville are starting to light it up to.
Fair enough, but penciling in a bunch of rookies and saying 'look we have this this and this!' is a gamble, relying so much on rookie/young players is kind of boom/bust on how things will actually end up, so you can't really blame people for being highly skeptical. I won't be surprised if they're around 8-9-10 draft position wise, but I don't expect much more than that even in an optimistic view point.

For the sake of the Sens, and the Avs, hopefully they make a push for the playoffs, leave us with the 14th overall pick, and it wins the lottery :naughty:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

But they are undeniably going to be a lot better than people gave them credit for. No one factored in that Tkachuk is 100% legit, and so are Chabot and Lajoie, and all 3 are going to make a real impact this year.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...s-get-this-year.2543867/page-5#post-149888221

You guys said these, not me..

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nothing salty about this. I'm very happy we have the first round pick and I still think it will be top5 pick. 6 games won't change that. Regular season is 82 games. Sens have long way to go.

You seem overly optimistic.

Oh yeah Im reaching for the stars by saying we might not be a bottom 5 team anymore. Sure thing.

We are having fun with this season win or lose. It makes no difference to us, its a developmental year. Between this year and next we have a lot of great kids to work into the lineup.

But I hope you legitimately start sweating some bullets by around the 20 game mark or so and the kids are still looking this good. I know I would be if I were you

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I hope all the best for Sens but could you just suck this year? Please?

Regards: I want Hughes or Kakko for the Avs.

In all seriousness, being an underdog like this might just punch a mediocer team ovet their normal level. Last year Ottawa were depressed. Even if they have lost many pieces, a good spirit can create a lot of positivity...

I mean as long as we miss the playoffs you have a shot. Carolina wasn't a bottom 5 team last year, Devils weren't a bottom 5 team the year before that, the Jets weren't a bottom 5 team the year before that...

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Oh yeah Im reaching for the stars by saying we might not be a bottom 5 team anymore. Sure thing.

We are having fun with this season win or lose. It makes no difference to us, its a developmental year. Between this year and next we have a lot of great kids to work into the lineup.

But I hope you legitimately start sweating some bullets by around the 20 game mark or so and the kids are still looking this good. I know I would be if I were you

Temper your expectations my dude. Us Sens fans will be sweating bullets when Melnyk actually has to pay up to keep any of these good players around, and that includes Stone and Duchene after this year.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Not really no, at least not for me. Regardless of where the pick ends up it's gravy. Obviously the higher the better but the trade is already a home-run.

A ton of Ava fans were 99% sure they were getting Hughes, they were all over the main board.

You seem salty but I guess I’ll take your word for it. Might wanna check up on the rest of the fan base, though.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

There's a good chance Stones and Duchene leave Ottawa. That should help. Like I said, season is 82 games and based on last year, something stupid or unbelievable will happen in Ottawa again. As long as you have your owner, there's no cure.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

sweating bullets why?

Ottawa could finish outside the bottom 10 let alone the bottom 5 and that would still be a great trade for Colorado

any super high pick is honestly just gravy for them at this point,nice gravy but it's not like that's gonna suddenly be a bad deal for them without it

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
What will you eat if they are bad? Realistically what were your expectations before the season? I have read Ottawa forums and their expectations. They weren't high exactly.
I have them being a fringe playoff team. Said it from day one. Not all Sens fans think gloom and doom after trading Karlsson. Only question mark I had was Anderson. However in his up year he's a top goalie in the league.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
sweating bullets why?

Ottawa could finish outside the bottom 10 let alone the bottom 5 and that would still be a great trade for Colorado

any super high pick is honestly just gravy for them at this point,nice gravy but it's not like that's gonna suddenly be a bad deal for them without it

Well said. When we made the trade we were expecting max. top20 pick.

Reactions: DanyHeatley

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I have them being a fringe playoff team. Said it from day one. Not all Sens fans think gloom and doom after trading Karlsson. Only question mark I had was Anderson. However in his up year he's a top goalie in the league.

37 years old and his inconsistency problems? Colorado fans know him too well. He will give up on a team when the going gets tough.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean as long as we miss the playoffs you have a shot. Carolina wasn't a bottom 5 team last year, Devils weren't a bottom 5 team the year before that, the Jets weren't a bottom 5 team the year before that...
I feel bad for you guys, and it's nice that at least your team gives you something to cheer for atm. The worst part of being a fan of a sports club is when your office is all messed up (which yours certainly is) and also having your team sucking. Usually however, there is somekind of magic that when all the odds stand against you you actually start to perform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad