Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Because a bigger sample size paints a better picture than just one game? Sens defence has looked adequate so far, leafs are a tire fire but have the firepower to make up for it.
Anyway, I thought this thread was about Ottawa

But... but... I thought everyone was falsely accusing Leafs fans of making every thread about the Leafs?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
LOL! How old are you? This is not fortnite kiddo.

Look at the chart you just posted, they're almost all tips, meaning the shot was from the blue line.
you said we bleeded shots that game we didnt, we had more and better shots your goalie was good that game.
I edited out the gg pretty quick cause it was childish.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Because a bigger sample size paints a better picture than just one game? Sens defence has looked adequate so far, leafs are a tire fire but have the firepower to make up for it.
Anyway, I thought this thread was about Ottawa
we are just talking about one game and not the season at hand though.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Keep telling yourself that. Ottawa's system is designed to give the opposing team more shots from the outside, but less quality shots.
Let me guess.... the sens will make the playoffs and the leafs will miss. You guarantee it right?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Last year we were much worse than expected. So now we have a team with a bunch of new young guys coming in and veterans who aren't happy with how things went last year. Plus Anderson is usually 1 good year 1 bad year... and this is the "good year" if the pattern continues.

I don't expect playoffs but I don't expect them to be terrible. Comfortably out of the playoffs but not 20-30 points behind non-playoff teams like Edmonton/Buffalo were for years.

We've been outshot most nights but I don't think the numbers are quite as bad as the shots indicate.

Reactions: bert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Dzingel - Duchene - White
Tkachuk - Smith - Stone
Formenton - Tierney - Boedker
Paajarvi - Pyatt - Ryan

Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman

Anderson

Not a bad team tbh

On paper the forwards aren't bad, but not that good, and that defense should be atrocious. The only reason that they haven't looked like a tire fire out there is because the defense hasn't been nearly as bad as we thought they were going to be, but who knows if Chabot, DeMelo, and Lajoie can keep it up, they're all fairly unproven players.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
That Lajoie kid looks legit. Was there hype on him?

No none at all. He was very average in Belleville last year and I don't think people even considered him making the team a possibility. Sens fans are just as shocked to see this guy playing like this as anyone else.

Reactions: Rolo

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No none at all. He was very average in Belleville last year and I don't think people even considered him making the team a possibility. Sens fans are just as shocked to see this guy playing like this as anyone else.

Yeah. Because, from what I'm seeing, it's not just puck luck. The kid seems to be skilled.

Just looked up his stats and he's already approaching some of his better goal scoring seasons in JUNIOR. ...WTF?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah. Because, from what I'm seeing, it's not just puck luck. The kid seems to be skilled.

Just looked up his stats and he's already approaching some of his better goal scoring seasons in JUNIOR. ...WTF?

It doesn't look like puck luck to me either. All his goals save for tonight's have been scored the same way, which is having the anticipation to come up from the blueline and pick up the loose puck. He definitely has high hockey IQ and looks calm and confident. He looks like a 5 year vet out there. We'll see if he keeps it up, he's definitely been fun to watch.

redg

Aug 4, 2018

That's actually not true. He got signed to his ELC in October (2016!!!) after getting drafted. So that's pretty wtf for a 5th rounder. Sens staff was praising him pretty heavily for hockey IQ and he was getting some hype at the time. Obviously he's still been a huge surprise

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That Lajoie kid looks legit. Was there hype on him?

Sens fan here. Literally none whatsoever aside from last year in training camp Boucher was very high on him. He went on to have a very mediocre 1st pro season in the ECHL/AHL.

Same thing happened this year, the coaching staff was sky high on him right from the start of rookie camp. He made the team easily, and he's basically looked like a 8 year vet since the moment he hit the ice.

Its absolutely incredible to see tbh, I've never seen another rookie Dman this young step into the lineup before and not look like a rookie (in some way or another). Lajoie does not at all, this kind of growth is staggering.

And if you watch his play, its not flukey at all. Its very obvious that he thinks the game very well.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

There should have been. Knew he would be good one day. Surprised to see it happen so soon though

Reactions: SensFactor

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

The only reasonable explanation I can see is that everyone pretty much suffered stats-wise in Belleville last year. Coaching was horrendous and younger guys were being held back.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Probably. I bet he is nearing the record of most points by a rookie defenseman after the 6 game mark.

4 goals in first career 6 games for a rookie defenseman has to be some sort of record, or atleast a "hasn't been done since...". I wouldn't count on Sportsnet or TSN to look this up though, they're too busy circle jerking over obscure "records" the Leafs are breaking.

Reactions: Jacall

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
They are playing on adrenaline. I give them max few more games. That defense and goaltending should be exploited at some point.

Great start for them

Reactions: Deen

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
4 goals in first career 6 games for a rookie defenseman has to be some sort of record, or atleast a "hasn't been done since...". I wouldn't count on Sportsnet or TSN to look this up though, they're too busy circle jerking over obscure "records" the Leafs are breaking.

I tried to find it myself but I had no idea where to even look for something like that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Some sens fans were high on Lajoie . Don't remember who

Boucher liked him last year

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
But I do have to admit They are a bit like Vegas last season. Underdogs nobody gave credit. There's always one team every season playing over expectations. I hope it's not the Ottawa(for my own benefit), but it's not impossible they go on and have a good season. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad