Are The Islanders Better Than The Rangers ?

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Isles still the only team to beat the kings while they’re away.
Rangers have won them when they're away lol.

Isles are a solid team. It's nice to have a stadium series when both of the teams have something to play for.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
The Rangers are much better as demonstrated by the win-loss and even more importantly by the consistency over the first 40% of the season.

The real question is whether the islanders are much better than the devils. It's hard to imagine that we'd be even asking this question with how much hype the devils had going into the season versus the dire straits of the islanders prospects and organization in general. It can't be a good feeling as a nj fan to see the isles turn their season around so thoroughly while the devils dreams and hopes for the season are so downgraded to just praying for a WC spot.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
What the Islanders are doing is impressive, but the loser point has kept their season afloat, while the Rangers are well above .500.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Trick question. As of now it’s hard to tell. The Isles are going through a transition as they become a more offensive minded team. I think this has partly contributed to the late game collapses. If the Isles fix their defense they will be a hard team to beat by any team.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Isles still the only team to beat the kings while they’re away.
PkJS6XP.png

literally the day after the Isles beat them

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
The Rangers are much better as demonstrated by the win-loss and even more importantly by the consistency over the first 40% of the season.

The real question is whether the islanders are much better than the devils. It's hard to imagine that we'd be even asking this question with how much hype the devils had going into the season versus the dire straits of the islanders prospects and organization in general. It can't be a good feeling as a nj fan to see the isles turn their season around so thoroughly while the devils dreams and hopes for the season are so downgraded to just praying for a WC spot.
not really

NJ is a very young team that lost two top4 dmen and has been icing B. Smith and two rookies in the blueline. On top of it, the goalies sucks and Jack Hughes/Nico have both missed some time

This team isn't even close to their prime... like happened with the Avs, great season followed by bad then they became perrenial contenders for real.

on the other hand, all other metro teams are aging out of their contender's window

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
People really need to stop classifying an OT or SO loss as “losing the game”.

The game was tied.

One team lost the mini games.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Trick question. As of now it’s hard to tell. The Isles are going through a transition as they become a more offensive minded team. I think this has partly contributed to the late game collapses. If the Isles fix their defense they will be a hard team to beat by any team.
Pelech and Mayfield are practicing right now and currently the road trip. I think Pelech coming back and being paired with someone (most likely Mayfield), will help them immensely. It’ll turn the blueline into something a bit more stable:
Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield
Reilly/Aho/Bolduc-Bortuzzo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A series is always a toss up. I'm not going to toss insults just because the other team is a rival, so let's take the homer glasses off and be realistic.

Right now both goalies are putting up the same save percentage. We can ignore goals against because the teams have left them out to dry on several occasions. While I love Igor, I do feel his confidence gets broken a lot quicker. Rangers have been better at scoring 5 on 5 goals as of late, but if that dries up, well that's a big problem even if you're at the top in powerplay ranking.

Islanders are 3rd in the league for point percentage during the month of December. Top 5 during December in goals scored per game. So they're going in the right direction for sure. However, they probably want to find themselves in the lower half of the league when it comes to goals against, so you can't start sacrificing defense to score.

I hate to be a party pooper here and ruin the rivalry fanbase shots, but a 7 game series right now could go either way, and nobody should really call it an upset in either direction.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
People really need to stop classifying an OT or SO loss as “losing the game”.

The game was tied.

One team lost the mini games.

Under the current rules, it’s a loss.

You’re only bothered by it because the Islanders have a ton of said losses. If the shoe were on the other foot, your opinion would be different.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
A quick look at each team's winning percentage and points tells me the Rangers are the better team currently.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Under the current rules, it’s a loss.

You’re only bothered by it because the Islanders have a ton of said losses. If the shoe were on the other foot, your opinion would be different.
Truth is, NYI are too good to lose, not so good to win.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Are the Islanders better than the Rangers? No. Not at this time. But a few weeks ago when they had that disastrous road trip to western Canada, it looked like Lane Lambert could get fired and they would go into a free fall. Instead they have righted the ship and for the most part played very well. They may be rounding into shape. With Sorokin in goal and some pretty good defencemen they will be tough in the post season.

People should stop harping on “yeah but the loser’s point”. It exists. It has existed for 20 years with the shootout. Before that it existed as a bonus point when the league realized teams were not trying to score, figuring one sure point was better than a blown play and giving up a goal and getting zero points. Maybe someday the league will change it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Personally I see an OTL as a earned point and any point in O/T or S/O as a gimmick point
Agree..

W = 2 points
L = 0 points
Overtime = Tie = 1 point

Shootout/overtime win with an extra point = failed NHL gimmick.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Smh... you lose a game and get a point... by definition that is a "loser point"
Except at that point it’s not a hockey game. It’s a gimmick. And yes, the Isles have benefited from that gimmick this year.

But let’s stop acting as if 3-on-3 OT and a shootout are the same as 5-on-5 hockey game.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As of right now, Rangers are better.

I don’t know where they are now, but when I last saw this stat… Isles led the NHL by a wide margin for playing with a lead. I don’t think that fact changes much with regard to who is better though. It’s still the Rangers.

From an Islander perspective, hopefully it is a sign that they are capable of more than they have shown thus far. But countering that, is the fact they have played a heavy home schedule already.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Under the OTL column, the L stands for lemons.

Overtime lemons.

When overtime gives you lemons, make lemonade like the Islanders do.
I know you joke, but it means losses and no one is suggesting that it does otherwise. Just that it means you specifically lost either on a 3-on-3 OT, or shootout.

The NHL would be better served clearing this all up by going to three point games. Rather than manifesting a third point out of thin air. Provided the NHL insists on an outcome after OT...

After Regulation:
W - 3 points
L - 0 points
T - 1 point each team

After OT/shootout:
OT - 1 point to the team that wins the extra session

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know you joke, but it means losses and no one is suggesting that it does otherwise. Just that it means you specifically lost either on a 3-on-3 OT, or shootout.

The NHL would be better served clearing this all up by going to three point games. Rather than manifesting a third point out of thin air. Provided the NHL insists on an outcome after OT...

After Regulation:
W - 3 points
L - 0 points
T - 1 point each team

After OT/shootout:
OT - 1 point to the team that wins
Honestly, I'm actually fine with the way they do it.

A win should be a win.

The Islanders are staying in games. They should have more points than a team that has 18 straight up losses.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Honestly, I'm actually fine with the way they do it.

A win should be a win.

The Islanders are staying in games. They should have more points than a team that has 18 straight up losses.
Just to be clear, my opinion on the three point games really doesn't have anything to do with the Isles. I just never liked the idea of a third point just appearing out of nowhere, when the game specifically starts with two points on the line.

At this point in my life, I don't really follow many other sports. So I'm not sure if such a thing exists elsewhere. But it always feels silly trying to explain OT and the points to non-hockey fans.

As for the Isles, honestly have no clue what to make of them. They show stretches of promising play and some underlying numbers. They just as equally show some inconsistency and a terrible tendency of not being able to close out games. They also have benefited from a heavy home schedule.

My only question is if the Isles can play better than the have shown thus far? Maybe, maybe not... again I can see it going either way. But regardless of how that is answered, I still put the Rangers as the better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad