Are The Islanders Better Than The Rangers ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Nice season for the Rangers so far.....When it comes to metrics that i think are the most important the Rangers do have the edge in HDCF%, xGF% and CF% although neither team has that impressive of a ranking in those 3 categories.......One important category where the Islanders are better is HDSV% where they rank number 2 , which is excellent. and also have the better PDO......

Since that 7 game losing streak the Islanders have picked up 21 of 28 available points , and are now 2nd in the division.........I know some people really frowned upon the Horvat contract but he's over a ppg....I really can't get upset at a GM being aggressive , keep in mind that you can only choose from what's available when it comes to trades and signings.............Was surprised to see Lee only has 15 points though......

Just curious to see what the fans of these 2 teams that see them play all the time think about this......

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My isles got off to a poor start. The loser point kept them afloat. Aside from that horrendous 7-0 beating from the pens the isles were on a pretty good 15 or so game
Run where they were playing better. They’re doing this despite missing 3 of their regular and most experienced defenseman (Pelech Pulock Mayfield) so that’s been impressive.

Dobson has emerged as a true #1 caliber defenseman who is carrying the defense at both ends of the ice. Barzal and Horvat are playing like top end players and producing offense. Nelson continues to be a consistent goal scorer.

At times the defense has held Sorokin and Varly out to dry though.

Isles still the only team to beat the kings while they’re away.

All things considered Im ecstatic to be 2nd in the metro at this point.

With all that being said, the rags are the better team this year to this point. I wouldn’t say my isles are better than them. They’ve been really good.

However, in a series I think it could go either way.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
My isles got off to a poor start. The loser point kept them afloat. Aside from that horrendous 7-0 beating from the pens the isles were on a pretty good 15 or so game
Run where they were playing better. They’re doing this despite missing 3 of their regular and most experienced defenseman (Pelech Pulock Mayfield) so that’s been impressive.

Dobson has emerged as a true #1 caliber defenseman who is carrying the defense at both ends of the ice. Barzal and Horvat are playing like top end players and producing offense. Nelson continues to be a consistent goal scorer.

At times the defense has held Sorokin and Varly out to dry though.

Isles still the only team to beat the kings while they’re away.

All things considered Im ecstatic to be 2nd in the metro at this point.

With all that being said, the rags are the better team this year to this point. I wouldn’t say my isles are better than them. They’ve been really good.

However, in a series I think it could go either way.

No. They aren't. Not only did the Golden Knights just do it, but the Rangers beat them as well. Ironically, both of them did it in regulation as opposed to OT, which is the only reason the Islanders are as high up in the standings as they are.

The Islanders have 17 wins and 18 losses. By regulation, the have 13 wins, which ties them for 4th-6th in the division. They have 9 OTL, most in the NHL. They have the 11th fewest regulation wins in the league.

Every season it seems there is a team that will be the "loser point" (or whatever you want to call it) champion that by points looks way better than they are. Right now, that's the Islanders.

Not saying they are awful, but it's a VERY unfavorable comparison to be discussing them with the best of the NHL right now. Rangers are 1st in points and points percentage, and 3rd in regulation wins with multiple games in hand on #1 and #2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_071137_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230_071137_ESPN.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Rangers looking good at this point. Lets see when expectations of playoff success hits. Could go either way in a series. The rangers pp is deadly and isles pk is a disaster with a mediocre sorokin and banged up defense at the moment . So there is my dime store answer.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I'll just say this from the get-go, I despise the Rags. However, they are the better team so far this year. Shesterkin isn't even playing all that well and they are still leading the division. Their 5 on 5 play isn't great, but the PP is outstanding.

As for the Isles, I really thought they were done with that losing streak earlier in the season. So, kudos to them for righting the ship. They too have an outstanding goalie and play a tight system. The loser points have really helped them out.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If hfboards has taught me anything as a Leafs fan, then yes, only playoffs matter.

But in reality, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad