Are The Islanders Better Than The Rangers ?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
As a Rangers fan, I DON"T WANT New York battle in playoffs. First of all, I want Isles to miss entirely, and it's main thing I'm rooting for rest of season- for Isles to miss (playoff seedings for NYR, or PT race is something I consider nearly irrelevant).

Second of all, a threat of potential upset from NYI's hands is something I don't want to even thinking of enduring. YES, Rangers ARE better team, and would be heavy favourites in the series- but it's the f***ing NHL, here every thing might happen- a difference of overall talent between these two teams is IMO smaller than between Kraken and Avs last year.

If these two teams would meet in playoffs, my uneducated guess in seven games series would be like 70% of chances for Rangers, 30% for Islanders- but 30% is actually f***ing lot.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
As a Rangers fan, I DON"T WANT New York battle in playoffs. First of all, I want Isles to miss entirely, and it's main thing I'm rooting for rest of season- for Isles to miss (playoff seedings for NYR, or PT race is something I consider nearly irrelevant).

Second of all, a threat of potential upset from NYI's hands is something I don't want to even thinking of enduring. YES, Rangers ARE better team, and would be heavy favourites in the series- but it's the f***ing NHL, here every thing might happen- a difference of overall talent between these two teams is IMO smaller than between Kraken and Avs last year.

If these two teams would meet in playoffs, my uneducated guess in seven games series would be like 70% of chances for Rangers, 30% for Islanders- but 30% is actually f***ing lot.
OH THEY ARE COMING. THEY ARE FU^KING COMING YOUR WAY.

You should still win though.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I've watched every single Rangers, devils, and islanders game and most of the flyers games as well. It's not even close - the Rangers are better in every aspect of the game than their historical rivals this season. Most importantly the Rangers have been incredibly consistent, even with the bad January, their worst stretch of the season, they were 5-7-2 with a minus 6 GD.

The POs are always unpredictable but you'd have to give me some goddamn good odds to pick the islanders over the Rangers in a 7 game series. Damn motherf***ing good odds.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Considering how dead NYI-NYR rivalry is now (thanks Gary, great scheduling) I would very much welcome that playoff series.

Reactions: SoupNazi

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lol Islanders have like 24 real wins this season.. that's embarrassing by a team that might make it to playoffs but NHL point system sucks
I mean, a draw in regulation is pretty relevant for playoffs.

What isn't very relevant is the ability to win in 3on3 or shootout. So the Islanders... well, are doing the opposite of benefiting from NHL's point system. Unless you think that a draw in regulation is meaningless... which it shouldn't be.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

What isn't very relevant is the ability to win in 3on3 or shootout. So the Islanders... well, are doing the opposite of benefiting from NHL's point system. Unless you think that a draw in regulation is meaningless... which it shouldn't be.

I mean, not to sound too high on my own supply here, but when it comes to looking at team's records from a playoff perspective, literally the only W-L to look at is regulation record. Shootouts don't exist, 3v3 OT doesn't exist, and both of those are complete gimmicks to begin with...I remember the 2018-'19 Avalanche had a putrid OT/SO record (it's why they ended up a #8 seed with an underwhelming record), playoffs and normal OT roll around, and they won all three games they played that went into OT. Literally could not be less relevant. As far as I care, every OT/SO game is a tie and I treat them as such.

Having said all of that, the Islanders are still a fairly underwhelming 25-27 in regulation this season, but the Caps and Flyers are 28-30, Sabres are 31-35, Red Wings are 26-31...hilariously, the Penguins have the best record at 30-30 but random point machinations leave them with some of the longest odds to squeeze in. And of all these teams I just mentioned, two of them are making the playoffs!

(Compare this to a year ago btw...the #8 seed Panthers had a 36-32 regulation record, discernibly better than what two teams who squeak into the playoffs this year will end up with.)

Reactions: Miro4Norris

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021

Opposite of benefiting from NHL's point system? They wouldn't sniff a playoff spot with normal 3point system, even buffalo an NJ would be way ahead.

And yes I think it is a not a good thing for a team if they can't win even 1/3 of their games in a way that gives you wins in playoffs. But even more than that, it is not entertainment to play ties every single game.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This is the only thing that matters:
NYLES (Sparky doesn’t count since he’s an arena football mascot) > Dancing Larry
Isles win by default

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Islanders are not good and are lucky nobody wanted those last 2 spots in the east. 8 more losses than wins this season and some of those losses have been dreadful. They are lucky they just played the Blackhawks who have won a grand total of 7 road games and the CBJ who haven't won more than 2 games in a row in nearly 2 years. They struggled in both those games BTW. In most years they don't even sniff the playoffs with their overall performance this year.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009

Penguins way more likely to beat Rangers if they get in than Islanders are.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I've watched every single Rangers, devils, and islanders game and most of the flyers games as well. It's not even close - the Rangers are better in every aspect of the game than their historical rivals this season.
I'm an Islander fan, and this is 100% accurate.

Whatever else is true, any Islanders success will be predicated on Barzal, and any team they play will know this. I don't think he's ever faced that much of a target on him.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
I don't think it would be an easy series if they played each other...but the Rangers score more goals per game, give up less per game, have a far better PP and PK. The Rangers are clearly better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad