Are The Islanders Better Than The Rangers ?

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
Rangers are much better and have superstar at G, F and D. Islanders are boring team without superstars.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Islanders are playing terrible and banking points on games they are outplayed. Rags have that "it" factor this year and certainly can make a serious run. Time is always a great equalizer, would be fun to see a first round matchup. Been a long log long time since the tri state area witnessed that.
Keep in mind they’re also missing Pelech and Pulock. Toss in the fact the blueline has only played together as a true core for maybe 4 games this season. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when Pelech and Pulock do once everyone is healthy. The emergence of Dobson with Romanov playing some solid minutes as well should help alleviate some stress for Pelech once he comes back soon and Pulock, whenever he makes his return.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Dobson is absolutely a superstar
I'm a NYI fan, and it has nothing to do with lack of respect or whatever, but ... Do players like Pietrangelo (which I don't think anyone denies Dobson is most like) get labeled superstars? And by that, I mean, defenders who get a lot of points in the transition game. It really takes doing it a lot over a consistent period of time. It felt like it took a long time for Lidstrom, for example, to get the full measure of credit he deserved (not saying Dobson is that good - only that Lidstrom also racked up transition points). I was around then, I remember.

Anyway, Dobson absolutely should have been NYI's selection for the All Star event. But I understand that having Barzal in the skills competition is a bigger draw.

At any rate, the Rangers are definitely better up front than the Islanders, and their D is also certainly better right now. NYI has one pairing, and a lot of fringe.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Lafreniere and Kakko. Those generational talents drafted a 1&2.
If players like Panarin weren't willing to take less money to avoid being an Islander, guys like Laf and Kakko would get more minutes. Your embarrassment of a franchise is hurting our development. Luckily it's not stopping us from being in first though. Go lose some more OT games. You guys are generational at that.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If players like Panarin weren't willing to take less money to avoid being an Islander, guys like Laf and Kakko would get more minutes. Your embarrassment of a franchise is hurting our development. Luckily it's not stopping us from being in first though. Go lose some more OT games. You guys are generational at that.
Panarin was never going to come to the Islanders. He was using them to help up the AAV with the Rangers. Trying to brag about average middle six wingers not getting enough ice time isn’t something to be proud of. As for the OT games, they’re still getting points in games they lose. 1 is better than 0 so carry on. Still plenty of hockey to play and the Islanders haven’t played the Rangers and their buddies in stripes yet.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
No, one team has won more mini games after the hockey game.

It’s 2023 and people STILL don’t know how the point system works and say “loser point” and the like. It’s crazy.

It's all Semantics.. Get over it. Everyone understands it. HOWEVER......the winner always gets 2 points.
And if you aren't the winner you are the....anybody? Anybody?

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Panarin was never going to come to the Islanders. He was using them to help up the AAV with the Rangers. Trying to brag about average middle six wingers not getting enough ice time isn’t something to be proud of. As for the OT games, they’re still getting points in games they lose. 1 is better than 0 so carry on. Still plenty of hockey to play and the Islanders haven’t played the Rangers and their buddies in stripes yet.
Bragging about ice time? What are you talking about? Can we get some actual fans to show up to the Isles HF boards site. You need practice reading.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Bragging about ice time? What are you talking about? Can we get some actual fans to show up to the Isles HF boards site. You need practice reading.
Reread what I said. Kakko and Laf aren’t anything to brag about. Draft pedigree doesn’t make them better players than they really are. Trying to claim that Panarin took away from their ice time is utterly comical. Neither of them are anything special along with cracked egg Filip Chityl.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
We're not "peaking" at all right now. 15th in points percentage since Dec 1st. "and It's all downhill from here"...

Lyric joke aside, they had a great start, but the powerplay won't carry the team to a president trophy here. You can't play Bonino 15 minutes a night. I don't care what other excuse is given for him to receive that many minutes. If you're playing him 15 minutes a night, you've got some holes and players not performing.
The Islanders have 22pts in 16 games for 4th in points percentage since 12/1, and the Rangers have 20pts in 16 games for 13th in points percentage%. 2 point difference over 16 games is just normal ebb and flow of the season. Crazy what stats can do though with small sample sizes.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
As an Isles fan have to say....are you kidding? Of course not.

Isles have some players however and have the goalie(s) and finally a true #1 Dman. Dobson/Romanov pairing has really stepped up. Barzal/Horvat a good combo. Solid group of Centers. For you hockey fans who don't watch the team regularly and are still whining about "Boring trap team"....stop.

Team is scoring a lot more goals, good PP, etc. Much more entertaining to watch. But D and PK have taken huge step backward. Goalies getting hung out to dry. Injuries have decimated the blue line and jury still out on the coach. Even when healthy the 3rd period lapses were worrying.

Reilly and Bortuzzo have been solid D Men pickups on the cheap to fill the gap and hopefully provide are depth once the regulars return.

Rangers are firing on all cylinders right now and have the right coach. We'll see at playoff time how good both these teams are. Isles will be in a street fight all season to qualify.

I'd love an Isles-Rags playoff. We'll see how cocky everyone is then.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Both of them have their strengths and weaknesses, it's a weird question because I think the Rangers are built better but the Isles might be the better built for the playoffs it's just them actually getting there that's the issue with their play style.

Dobson is absolutely a superstar

He's playing out of his skin this year but let's see him play at this level for a little bit longer before throwing out that label lol

Didn't they make it to the Conference finals 2 years ago?

Really tough not to make the ECF when you play f***ing Louis Domingue and the corpse of Antti Raanta. Shocking they lost to the first real goalie they played that playoff year.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Both of them have their strengths and weaknesses, it's a weird question because I think the Rangers are built better but the Isles might be the better built for the playoffs it's just them actually getting there that's the issue with their play style.

He's playing out of his skin this year but let's see him play at this level for a little bit longer before throwing out that label lol

Really tough not to make the ECF when you play f***ing Louis Domingue and the corpse of Antti Raanta. Shocking they lost to the first real goalie they played that playoff year.
Don't know about that "Built for playoffs" thing anymore with Trotz gone and the soft D they play. Although the goalies can steal games, but thats asking a lot.

Good point on Dobson. He's playing huge minutes due to the other injuries and at some point has to be pulled back. It's helped his development but it's also padded his scoring a bit.

Goalies- You have to play who's on front of you. Rangers were stymied by Akira Schmid which no one saw coming. And both of our teams have feasted ton Tritan Jarry

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Don't know about that "Built for playoffs" thing anymore with Trotz gone and the soft D they play. Although the goalies can steal games, but thats asking a lot.

Good point on Dobson. He's playing huge minutes due to the other injuries and at some point has to be pulled back. It's helped his development but it's also padded his scoring a bit.

Goalies- You have to play who's on front of you. Rangers were stymied by Akira Schmid which no one saw coming. And both of our teams have feasted ton Tritan Jarry

Eh, they were pretty similar under Lane than they were under Trotz in that first round series against Carolina last year. They've been missing a ton of pieces on the backend and Pelech looks like a completely different player after Bortuzzo RKO'd him into the end boards last year which is ironically his new teammate this year lol. And I mean that's true but Schmid was better than Raanta in their different seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad