Are The Islanders Better Than The Rangers ?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The Rangers only have one more overtime win than the Islanders. In regulation the Rangers are 19-9, the Islanders are 13-9.
Yeah that’s a more accurate picture of where these teams are. I don’t claim the Isles are better, just poking fun at the people saying “loser points” and the like.

Smh... you lose a game and get a point... by definition that is a "loser point"
No, you get the point for tying the game. The extra point is awarded for winning the minigames.

#stayinschool

Wut lol. As an Islander fan, you’d think you know your statement is unequivocally false.
Come on people.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I think it’s something like 14 multi leads that they blew. Most of which are losses as a result. That’s quite a bit of points squandered due to the inability to lock it down late in games. If they held the leads like I said, they’d be among the elite of the league. The power play is among the best and they have 4 players producing close to or at a PPG pace.
I think it’s more of think the Islanders and think of it as a fluke vs them having the potential and showing they can be among the top. People saw Pittsburgh sign EK65 and thought they’d be a top team in the league but fail to remember they didn’t really change anything else from last season that was a down season for them.

I don't see 14 blown leads, nor did I see the 5+ 3rd periods you said before. I could be wrong (not going to into game logs), but that seems an exaggeration.

They are also like 10th in powerplay percentage- not "among the best in the league."

Ottawa has 5 players "at or near" PPG, as does Edmonton. Tampa and Toronto have 4 as well. That's not really a tell-tell sign of a great team. Those teams have a combined 52% points percentage, roughly where the Islanders are by wins-losses record (17-18).

And an inability to lock it down in games is also not a ringing endorsement of a great team. A team that loses more than it wins like the Islanders through 35 games typically blow leads more frequently. That's how they get more losses.

All this to say again: I don't think they are bad. I think they are in the top of the "middle of the pack" pile, but comparing them to any team clearly and inarguably in the top 3 teams in the league so far is wrong.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
The entire league has been playing under the same OTL "Loser Point" rules since the day the tie was eliminated. The Rangers had 13 of their own last year. Last I checked they're still a good team. Hate the game, not the player.

These things tend to even themselves out over a full 82. The Isles are more close to who they been the last 20 games (Points in 17 out of their last 20) than who they were at the beginning of the season and during the 7 game losing streak. Sorokin is coming on and the defense/blown leads will improve when Pulock,. Mayfield and Pelech return.

If the Rangers lost 3 of Miller, Trouba, and Lindgren and have gotten points in 17/20 games the entire board wouldn't hear the end of it. The Isles have been deploying a rotation of Romanov, Dobson, Mike Reilly, Robert Bortuzzo, Samuel Bolduc, Sebastian Aho, and Grant Hutton during this time period. Points in 17/20 with THAT D? That's impressive.

The Isles are good, not passed the NYR yet, but they're good.

The first thought would be more valid if you left off the Rangers have 13 last year. I typically hate "on-pace" arguments, but the Islanders are currently trending to have 21 this season. The most last year was Calgary (17, missed the playoffs). The year before was Anaheim (14, missed the playoffs). The year before was Dallas (14 in 56, and closest comparable to Islanders this season, missed the playoffs). The year before was Columbus (15 in 70, missed the playoffs).

Stop me if you see a pattern.

Also, if you take out the worst 15 game stretch of any team over 35 games, they look a lot better than they show over 35. You are suggesting removing 40% of their games this season so far.

Yes, the Islanders are somewhere between mediocre and low end of good. They are 11th in points on the season, and tied for 16th in wins (although it's likely Toronto and Washington pass them with games in hand). They are "top of mediocre" based on their results. The Rangers are "top of the NHL" based on their results. The comparison should be a nonstarter.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
True, but Shesterkin had been shaky for the Rangers for their first three months and lost Fox - arguably one of the top 2 defenseman in the entire league, almost inarguably one of the top 3 - for 30% of their games.

All this is to still answer the question the OP proposed: "Are the Islanders better than the Rangers?"

No, and the comparison is nearly insulting. The Islanders are a top-end-of-mediocre team that has lost more games than they've won more than 40% of the way through their season.

The Rangers currently lead the entire league in wins, points, and points percentage.
And lost Chytil. And lost Kakko.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The entire league has been playing under the same OTL "Loser Point" rules since the day the tie was eliminated. The Rangers had 13 of their own last year. Last I checked they're still a good team. Hate the game, not the player.

These things tend to even themselves out over a full 82. The Isles are more close to who they been the last 20 games (Points in 17 out of their last 20) than who they were at the beginning of the season and during the 7 game losing streak. Sorokin is coming on and the defense/blown leads will improve when Pulock,. Mayfield and Pelech return.

If the Rangers lost 3 of Miller, Trouba, and Lindgren and have gotten points in 17/20 games the entire board wouldn't hear the end of it. The Isles have been deploying a rotation of Romanov, Dobson, Mike Reilly, Robert Bortuzzo, Samuel Bolduc, Sebastian Aho, and Grant Hutton during this time period. Points in 17/20 with THAT D? That's impressive.

The Isles are good, not passed the NYR yet, but they're good.
The Rangers were getting points with Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, and Chytil out.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yeah that’s a more accurate picture of where these teams are. I don’t claim the Isles are better, just poking fun at the people saying “loser points” and the like.

No, you get the point for tying the game. The extra point is awarded for winning the minigames.

#stayinschool

Come on people.
Sure if you say it enough times, you’ll convince yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Riseonfire

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Islanders are a lot better than I expected (thought the only eastern teams they'd definitely be above would be Columbus, Philly and Montreal) but no Rangers are a top 5 contender in the league

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers are always winning without having good fancy stats. Finishing and goaltending can win you a lot of games. 2013-14 was the one time they had good fancy stats. The Hurricanes are the opposite.
Except this year, we also kind of suck so finishing and goaltending. We're winning through the sheer power of believing in the heart of the cards!

In all seriousness, the simple explanation for the Rangers this year is that they have two modes: mildly outplaying the opponent or getting their bones ripped out through their still-living skin. They never dominate, and they never get outplayed in a close game.

We outplayed the Panthers last night who are third in xGF% but it was close. Ditto the Kings. We also didn't really rack up the Caps or the Ducks despite them ranking low. We were just ok.

Meanwhile, the Sabres came in and I'm pretty sure we gave up like 9 xG in that game.

I would venture that the Rangers have played more good games than bad but the good ones are halfway decent and the bad ones are 20%ers in every metric.

Also we stole a couple when Fox was out and yeah, fair enough. Our corsi is less good when Fox isn't playing, belive it or not.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017

#stayinschool

Come on people.
Whatever makes you feel good.. your team losses more than they win...

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I can't make an honest assessment of the Islanders until their defense is healthy. How many games have they played this season with their complete defense? Two full games maybe? Mayfield was playing hurt for a month and was a shell of himself... he and Pelech are a big part of their PK which has suffered massively in their absence. Many of those OTL's were leads they gave up late because they're running a patched-together defense.
Part of being a better team is how you deal with adversity. The Rangers dealt with their adversity admirably so far this year. You can still make an honest assessment, as very rarely will any team be fully healthy over a stretch of time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Isles are T-2nd in the Metro with a sub-.500 record.

I think that says more about the rest of the division than it does about the Islanders.

Pass.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Nice season for the Rangers so far.....When it comes to metrics that i think are the most important the Rangers do have the edge in HDCF%, xGF% and CF% although neither team has that impressive of a ranking in those 3 categories.......One important category where the Islanders are better is HDSV% where they rank number 2 , which is excellent. and also have the better PDO......

Since that 7 game losing streak the Islanders have picked up 21 of 28 available points , and are now 2nd in the division.........I know some people really frowned upon the Horvat contract but he's over a ppg....I really can't get upset at a GM being aggressive , keep in mind that you can only choose from what's available when it comes to trades and signings.............Was surprised to see Lee only has 15 points though......

Just curious to see what the fans of these 2 teams that see them play all the time think about this......
If the NyI wind up with more points at seasons end, I will use a use a picture of myself with a hat on backwards as my new avatar

Reactions: Gjman2019

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Nice season for the Rangers so far.....When it comes to metrics that i think are the most important the Rangers do have the edge in HDCF%, xGF% and CF% although neither team has that impressive of a ranking in those 3 categories.......One important category where the Islanders are better is HDSV% where they rank number 2 , which is excellent. and also have the better PDO......

Since that 7 game losing streak the Islanders have picked up 21 of 28 available points , and are now 2nd in the division.........I know some people really frowned upon the Horvat contract but he's over a ppg....I really can't get upset at a GM being aggressive , keep in mind that you can only choose from what's available when it comes to trades and signings.............Was surprised to see Lee only has 15 points though......

Just curious to see what the fans of these 2 teams that see them play all the time think about this......
The Islanders have won 17 games out of 35 that they’ve played.
The Islanders have lost 18 games out of 35 that they’ve played.
The Islanders have less than a .500 winning Percentage.
The Rangers have won 25 of the 35 games they have played.
The Rangers have lost 10 games in the 35 they have played.
As of December 30th, 2023 it is safe to say that the Rangers are the better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad