Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Probably looking at 5-7 players with 1-3 guys they really like. Combine helps them break the ties.

I was always curious about this... What if we have Iggy as our target and our management gets a vibe that he don't want to play for the Habs? Do you still take him?
Off course not.

But that won't happen.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Looking at the upcoming draft, we must ask ourselves what identity HuGo wants for the Habs.

Here are three clues:

1) The last two drafts their #1 picks were big, excellent skating players - both 6'3".
2) At their first draft they traded for a 6'4" centerman.
3) When the trade went through and Hughes called Dach what did he say to him? "Kirby, get ready to score a lot of goals."

The Habs want a fast, big, offensive team. That is the identity they're trying to build.

On defence they have what they want. All except for Savard are excellent skaters and even David is not a slouch. Again on defence, they're all big players except for Hutson and Harris. The defence lives up to their identity.

The forward corps has yet to live up to the identity they want to build. So I look for Lindstrom, Iginla or Sennecke to be our pick at the 5 spot. With Demidov the exception if he falls to us. And it wouldn't surprise me if the try to trade up to get 2 of those players.
I agree with what you said.

Though i don't see them getting another top 12-15 pick without dangling our 1st in 2025.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmao Michkov was much heavier than 147 lbs, his weight is heavily outdated.

Yes, his weight is OK for someone with his height/skill. But thinking he will reach Kaprisov's weight and impact to the game can be a reach. Especially Kaprisov's weight. Kaprisov can do what he does because he is strong. He's not just a perimeter player with skill/skating.

Lots of fans look at Suzuki and think's all players around 5'-11" can reach 200+ lbs and still be effective. It's just not true. These are more rare than most think.

The ones who are 5'-10 to 6'-0" range that end up reaching 200 lbs usually are around 180-190 in their draft year. Go check it out.

Reactions: Runner77

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Could he be the steal of the draft. A 6"2 right handed center Michael Hage has good reason to get a low start this year after losing his father on tragic incident in July. 2024 have been something else. In 14 games from Dec. 30 to March 23, he posted 25 points scoring 15 goals with a +12 rating. His skills and speed for someone of his size. Great IQ, great hands.

Surely a target for a move up

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Dude's hands are second to only Demidov in the class. A lot of deception, some great passes too, he can sling the puck on his shot with some mechanical fixes to scale up.

Honestly, if the worst case scenario presents itself, Sennecke could be a literal home run at 5 if the development team does their magic.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

Dude's hands are second to only Demidov in the class. A lot of deception, some great passes too, he can sling the puck on his shot with some mechanical fixes to scale up.

Honestly, if the worst case scenario presents itself, Sennecke could be a literal home run at 5 if the development team does their magic.

Yeah if we aren't going Catton I'd take him at 5 above Lindstrom

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Late bloomers do happen quite often in hockey and there's no reason to think his development curve won't keep going up next year. If the scouting staff thinks he's the real deal, I'm fine with picking him as well. They better make real sure though, because a guy like Iginla is going to be right there.

Last edited:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Not at #5 , #10 maybe.
Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Lindstrom as better potential to me.

Reactions: Michoulicious

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not at #5 , #10 maybe.
Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Lindstrom as better potential to me.

I like his potential better than Iginla, where it gets sticky is Iginla's floor is quite a bit better. But this staff bets on themselves to be able to develop so I'd let them see what they can do with Sennecke.

Unfortunately for us Catton supporters that 5'11 is a barrier he can't overcome for what they look for in a top 10 pick.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I like his potential better than Iginla, where it gets sticky is Iginla's floor is quite a bit better. But this staff bets on themselves to be able to develop so I'd let them see what they can do with Sennecke.

Unfortunately for us Catton supporters that 5'11 is a barrier he can't overcome for what they look for in a top 10 pick.
Kind of funny when Demidov is the same size as Catton but no one is talking about it.
I really don't see the problem with Catton size.
The kid will be around 5,11 , 190 pounds in 2 years when he makes it in the NHL.
Around the same size as Newhook.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Thing with Iggy is that his meat and potatoes game projects so well in the NHL. If you pick him, you can pencil him in on a second line with certainty.

I have a hard time putting them in a ranking, it’s such a different skill set. And yes Catton being disqualified is crazy because of that inch.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Depends on your roster building strategy. You could end up with a bunch of skilled guys like the Leafs and can't win in the playoffs. Skill is attractive as long as

I like Catton a lot but there are others that have his skill but have size. Catton to me is in the waive with Eiserman, Sennecke, Lindstrom. I have Iggy and Demidov in a waive ahead of them.

This draft has be very curious in terms of what a redraft looks like in 3-5 years.
Most draft are.

Oh, if we all had crystal balls. But isn't that the fun of this exercise?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

In one of the clips, you see Sennecke abusing Parekh. Something I often saw other players do to this touted offensive defenceman. A reason why even considering Parekh at 5 OA is folly.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kind of funny when Demidov is the same size as Catton but no one is talking about it.
I really don't see the problem with Catton size.
The kid will be around 5,11 , 190 pounds in 2 years when he makes it in the NHL.
Around the same size as Newhook.

My guess is similar to how the Habs would have taken Bedard despite being 5'9 is that Demidov's talent level is at a threshold they can forgive the less than ideal size but they don't seem to think Catton has enough talent to overcome the "lack of size"

That's just me guessing, I love Catton, he's my #3.

Reactions: Rozz

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thing with Iggy is that his meat and potatoes game projects so well in the NHL. If you pick him, you can pencil him in on a second line with certainty.

I have a hard time putting them in a ranking, it’s such a different skill set. And yes Catton being disqualified is crazy because of that inch.
FWIW, I think it's more of an overall size thing than a pure height thing. Catton has a similar built to a guy like Kidney or Benson, he might never be much more than 180 pounds on a pretty small frame. You can be 5ft9 but be built like a fire hydrant a la Bouillon or MSL, with a big lower body and broad shoulders. Catton is just plain lanky and skinny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In one of the clips, you see Sennecke abusing Parekh. Something I often saw other players do to this touted offensive defenceman. A reason why even considering Parekh at 5 OA is folly.
I wouldn't take him 5 but if you look at Bure's highlights you'll see him abusing Lidstrom, doesn't mean much.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Could he be the steal of the draft. A 6"2 right handed center Michael Hage has good reason to get a low start this year after losing his father on tragic incident in July. 2024 have been something else. In 14 games from Dec. 30 to March 23, he posted 25 points scoring 15 goals with a +12 rating. His skills and speed for someone of his size. Great IQ, great hands.

Surely a target for a move up
Hage is my target in the 17-20 range, after peddling the ‘Peg pick.

Lots of focus on top 15, but a move up to 17-20 might be more do-able.

Think he’s taken before 20.

• Love
Reactions: bleuetbio

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Iginla vs Sennecke will be interesting to follow over the next couple years. The player with an elite tool, or the player with the more sophisticated game.

It's close IMO.
Both are excellent options at 5 OA. Both are late risers and would immediately become our best forward prospect.

Sennecke reminds me a bit of Huberdeau when he was a junior player, only with a bit more snap to his game. And I love Iginla's combination of skill and compete level. Though both project as top 6 NHL forwards, I suspect with his larger frame and reach, Sennecke's ceiling/upside (once he fills out) is a bit higher than Iginla's.

But I wouldn't complain with either at 5 OA.

I wouldn't take him 5 but if you look at Bure's highlights you'll see him abusing Lidstrom, doesn't mean much.
I would take Bure over Sennecke and Lindstrom over Parekh. But that's just me.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
1. Silayev
2. Guhle
3. Reinbacher
4. Hutson
5. Mailloux
6. Xhekaj
7. Engstrom/Struble

Trade Harris Barron

That’s one of the deepest and best defense group. If Silayev can be the next Hedman/Pronger.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Both are excellent options at 5 OA. Both are late risers and would immediately become our best forward prospect.

Sennecke reminds me a bit of Huberdeau when he was a junior player, only with a bit more snap to his game. And I love Iginla's combination of skill and compete level. Though both project as top 6 NHL forwards, I suspect with his larger frame and reach, Sennecke's ceiling/upside (once he fills out) is a bit higher than Iginla's.

But I wouldn't complain with either at 5 OA.

I would take Bure over Sennecke and Lindstrom over Parekh. But that's just me.
Yeah obviously, I just mean you can't gain an understanding of someone's game from their lowlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad