NESN Are Bruins fans tuning out Jack Edwards when NBC is available?

Which channel do you plan on watching for Game 7?

• TVAS (French)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
First choice is NBC, after that french if I could get it. CBC is awful, unless the Bruins are up by a lot. Mute is my friend, listen to Tool.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't mind Brick and I guess Jack

but I'm not a fan of Jack voice for play by play.... it doesn't sound clear/exact and at times I feel interrupted while watching the game

I like the way Emrick, Cole do play by plays

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Now that I know the NBC broadcast isn't blacked out, it's NBCSN all the way for me. No more ticker (!!), no more Jack's blabbing and occasional over the top comments (even though he is excellent on play by play when he actually gets down to it, to give him credit). I also think NBC offers more between periods and during the game, such as interviews with coaches in real time and commentary from rinkside by people who are observing the players' benches and can pick up stuff that way. Guerin seems nice but she doesn't add much, TBH. Possibly if I had to listen to Millbury game after game he would become tiresome, but in small doses he is fine. And I actually like Pierre. Nothing against Brick, though.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
I know I have. This year Jack's schtick has worn on me and I no longer enjoy listening to his call. It's too bad because I like the NESN broadcast in general and I love Jaffe and Brick...but I am done with Jack.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I liked Jack in the beginning, but his ranting and whining has worn on me. Brick is fine for the most part. Sometimes he will toe the company line, but overall he isn’t bad.

Puck Watcher

Jan 9, 2019
New Jersey
Sort of off topic, but NBC > NESN. I live outside the NESN area though and something that always surprised me was how awful the MSG feeds are for Rangers/Islanders/Devils games. Whenever the Bruins play one of those teams I'm stuck with the MSG feed and its almost like watching in standard def.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
I watch NESN. If I didn't know better I would believe that NESN is using video feed from NBCSN. Like others have mentioned. Why would NESN keep showing the fans outside in Toronto after a goal is scored? NESN also doesn't seem to have control over the replays being shown etc. But as others have mentioned. NESN definitely abuses screen space with the ticker and pop-up adds!!!!

Reactions: Chief Nine

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I have to watch NBC due to being out of market. While they do have a better picture and apparently that ticker thing is a mess I wish I could watch NESN. Jack is annoying but Brick is one of the best of the game and NBC is terribly pro-Toronto. Every single game they talk about Marner and Matthews and how the ice is tilted in Toronto's favor even if they're losing. I don't need you to be pro-Bruins but it's really annoying.

Also I don't have cable so I stream is through my Roku and NBC's stream is always a good 2 minutes behind. When I stream via NHLtv it's usually only 30 seconds or so behind. But I suppose at least NBC let's me stream unlike other large networks.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I have to watch NBC due to being out of market.

Same here, but would much rather have NESN. I am a Jack fan, and love Brick. That said, I like Milbury as the color guy and Boucher is fine between the benches. I don't care much for Doc, but it isn't as though there is a choice.

nhldream

Jan 4, 2015
Maybe. It's more superstition for me more than anything, Bruins lost both games I watched on NESN and won both when I watched on NBCSN. Edwards does get annoying at times.

Watching NESN feed back to the Leafs fans outside doesn't help. Why should I care about Leafs fans celebrating a goal?
Only want to see them after we score

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I gotta go with no ticker.

NESN needs to:
McDonaugh for DOB
Goucher for Edwards
Remove the ticker
Buy better cameras

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
There aren't really many broadcast teams I truly like at this point. I find most of the opposing teams broadcasts seriously lack in knowledge. Jack, for all his warts, really does his homework on the Bruins' opponents. I live in MSG's market so I get to hear those guys a lot and I find those broadcast teams to be mostly unbearable (the Rangers are the best of the bunch).

I used to really enjoy Jack but he's been getting on my nerves the last couple of years. Given the choice during the season on Center Ice, I always go with NESN even though I can't stand that ticker.

I miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Slightly related, I watched the 3rd period of last game on CBC. When the Bruins pulled out the win the announcers were straight up SILENT and hardly said anything. That's about as homer as you can get. People think Jack is a homer cause he freaks out alot, but atleast he freaks out for the other team too.

That said I feel like NBC calls a better game. Jack has his Jack-isms but he gets in his own way alot and it's not a smooth call. The announcer should support the product, not totally take attention away, in my opinion.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
I don't get nesn right now until I move in a few weeks. Can catch a stream if I want but just watch nbcsn. I like jack every team announcers are homers. The San Jose sharks broadcast team is a brutal bunch of whiners.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
There aren't really many broadcast teams I truly like at this point. I find most of the opposing teams broadcasts seriously lack in knowledge. Jack, for all his warts, really does his homework on the Bruins' opponents. I live in MSG's market so I get to hear those guys a lot and I find those broadcast teams to be mostly unbearable (the Rangers are the best of the bunch).

I used to really enjoy Jack but he's been getting on my nerves the last couple of years. Given the choice during the season on Center Ice, I always go with NESN even though I can't stand that ticker.

I miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement

Ditto!

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This isn't a NESN problem as much as it is a NHL problem, but...what's up with the NHL not revealing some conditional schedules?

I get that they're not going to make all 15 schedules out for each day in advance when there are 4 teams playing a potential game 5-7. But take, for example, Easter Sunday - a day when people might like to know in advance when the game is going to be on, and a day when games could theoretically be played any time from 12 to 8 local time.

As far as I know, the NHL hasn't officially announced any times, but there are only two schedules possible, maximum: with CGY/COL and without CGY/COL. Take the 10 minutes to design both a 2-game schedule and a 3-game schedule, and make a quick press release. In fact, it could have been released as early as Wednesday late night, along with Saturday's schedule. They do the conditional scheduling all the time - are they afraid they're going to annoy some fans because the game could have been on at a "better" time for them?

I'm sure we'll know when we play on Sunday at about 1 AM tomorrow morning - but c'mon. Could have been done earlier.

MrMars

May 26, 2006
This isn't a NESN problem as much as it is a NHL problem, but...what's up with the NHL not revealing some conditional schedules?

I get that they're not going to make all 15 schedules out for each day in advance when there are 4 teams playing a potential game 5-7. But take, for example, Easter Sunday - a day when people might like to know in advance when the game is going to be on, and a day when games could theoretically be played any time from 12 to 8 local time.

As far as I know, the NHL hasn't officially announced any times, but there are only two schedules possible, maximum: with CGY/COL and without CGY/COL. Take the 10 minutes to design both a 2-game schedule and a 3-game schedule, and make a quick press release. In fact, it could have been released as early as Wednesday late night, along with Saturday's schedule. They do the conditional scheduling all the time - are they afraid they're going to annoy some fans because the game could have been on at a "better" time for them?

I'm sure we'll know when we play on Sunday at about 1 AM tomorrow morning - but c'mon. Could have been done earlier.

I agree, they should give people a heads up since it is Easter Sunday and all. The funny part is NBC has the 3PM window on Sunday, I cannot see any situation where they pick Cgy/Col over Bos/Tor so unless CBC can somehow over rule NBC and force a night game I would be willing to bet the Bruins play at 3 on Sunday.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
I ended up switching over to NBCSN after starting with NESN, but it actually has nothing to do with the broadcasters. In fact, I would much prefer to listen to Jack & Brick. There are two main reasons I switched:

1) The ticker at the bottom of the screen is absolutely obnoxious. I can't stand it. It's way, WAY too big and is completely distracting to the game. It really affects the view of the game too.

2) NESN was changing camera angles WAY TOO OFTEN during play. Every time the puck entered the zone they would switch to the corner camera. Then they'd switch back. Then they'd go behind the net. Then they'd switch back. It was extremely difficult to watch the game because they switched it so much and it takes a few seconds to re-orient yourself. There were a few times that things happened in front of the net and we couldn't see it because the net or a player were in the way. I'm fine with having different angles, but STOP SWITCHING DURING PLAY so much.

Phew, I feel better now :biglaugh:

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad