NESN Are Bruins fans tuning out Jack Edwards when NBC is available?

Which channel do you plan on watching for Game 7?

• TVAS (French)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When all was said and done the Bruins had the most viewers

What were Boston sports fans watching on a crazy Wednesday night? - The Boston Globe

The Bruins game, a 6-4 victory, had the greatest consequences — they entered trailing the Leafs, 2-1, in the series. It also had the best ratings, delivering a combined 7.9 in the Boston market — a 4.1 on NBC Sports Network and a 3.8 on NESN.

And it could have been even higher: NESN said its rating was affected by an error in the cable listings on multiple providers (including Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, and DirecTV) that said NESN was airing a “Bruins in Two” re-air from 2013 rather than the game.

NESN said that in the previous seven Bruins first-round playoff games that also aired nationally, it averaged 85-90 percent of the audience. Wednesday night, it got 49 percent. Tellingly, it won five of the last six quarter-hours, suggesting that viewers misled by their cable guide eventually realized the game was on NESN and switched over.

The Celtics, who rallied behind Irving’s extraordinary 37-point performance for a 99-91 win and a 2-0 lead in the series, delivered a combined 5.7 — a 3.3 on NBC Sports Boston and a 2.4 on TNT.

The Red Sox, who fell to 6-13 after Brett Gardner’s seventh-inning grand slam propelled the Yankees to a 5-3 comeback win, got a combined 4.4 — a 2.2 on both NESNplus and ESPN. That’s a solid set of numbers considering the Red Sox were up against two playoff games, the local broadcast was on NESN’s secondary channel, and they’ve been a mess.

The Bruins on NESN went from 4.9 rating at 8:30 p.m. to a 2.9 at 8:45, then back to a 4.9 at 9, peaking with a 7.4 at 9:30. In the same span, NBCSN’s coverage of the game went from 4.8 to 2.7 and up to a 4.8, peaking with a 5.4 at 9:30.

Why the 8:45 p.m. dip? Well, the melting-into-a-puddle Sox were drawing viewers’ attention. Ratings for ESPN’s coverage rose from 2.4 at 8:30 to 3.7 at 8:45, then back down to 1.9 at 9. Over on NESNplus, there was a similar pattern with similar numbers: 2.6/4.0/1.6.

Meanwhile, the Celtics on NBCSB saw its audience rise steadily in an overlapping window. At 8:15 p.m. the broadcast had a 1.8 rating, but that climbed in 15-minute increments over the next hour to 3.1, then 4.3, 5.9, and finally, at 9:15 p.m., a 6.0. Ratings in the same span on TNT climbed from 2.2 at 8:15 p.m. to 3.6 at 9:15.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Jack & Brick all the way.

I am presently stranded in Ohio. I get my B's via r*dd*t. My understanding was that NBC would carry the playoff games and that NESN was out of it after the regular season. Are Jack & Brick still on?

If so, I'd much rather listen to those two than anything else. I've been muting the NBC broadcasts, never mind CBC.

J&B are Bruins homers, which is fine with me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am presently stranded in Ohio. I get my B's via r*dd*t. My understanding was that NBC would carry the playoff games and that NESN was out of it after the regular season. Are Jack & Brick still on?

If so, I'd much rather listen to those two than anything else. I've been muting the NBC broadcasts, never mind CBC.

J&B are Bruins homers, which is fine with me.

@Fenway said that if NBCSN was carrying the game then NESN could broadcast it too but if NBC was carrying it they could not. AFAIK NESN will carry tomorrow night's game but might not carry Sunday's.

Reactions: Strafer

Camjams

Jul 6, 2018
I have nothing against Jack but I prefer the NBC broadcast. I think the production is excellent. They do better job across the board than NESN.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
When the Bruins backs are against the wall like they were last night I prefer familiarity so would rather listen to Jack and Brick . It’s not an option in these playoffs though . With NHL tv I have a choice of NBC or CBC so it’s an easy choice , NBC .

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I like the bruins tilt to the local intermission show. And I love Jaffe. And enjoy Brick (most of the time)

I’m lazy, so I just stick with NESN.
Good point as well. The intermission show on NESN is far superior outside of NBC doing the live look ins at other games.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
When all was said and done the Bruins had the most viewers

What were Boston sports fans watching on a crazy Wednesday night? - The Boston Globe

The Bruins game, a 6-4 victory, had the greatest consequences — they entered trailing the Leafs, 2-1, in the series. It also had the best ratings, delivering a combined 7.9 in the Boston market — a 4.1 on NBC Sports Network and a 3.8 on NESN.

And it could have been even higher: NESN said its rating was affected by an error in the cable listings on multiple providers (including Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, and DirecTV) that said NESN was airing a “Bruins in Two” re-air from 2013 rather than the game.

NESN said that in the previous seven Bruins first-round playoff games that also aired nationally, it averaged 85-90 percent of the audience. Wednesday night, it got 49 percent. Tellingly, it won five of the last six quarter-hours, suggesting that viewers misled by their cable guide eventually realized the game was on NESN and switched over.

The Celtics, who rallied behind Irving’s extraordinary 37-point performance for a 99-91 win and a 2-0 lead in the series, delivered a combined 5.7 — a 3.3 on NBC Sports Boston and a 2.4 on TNT.

The Red Sox, who fell to 6-13 after Brett Gardner’s seventh-inning grand slam propelled the Yankees to a 5-3 comeback win, got a combined 4.4 — a 2.2 on both NESNplus and ESPN. That’s a solid set of numbers considering the Red Sox were up against two playoff games, the local broadcast was on NESN’s secondary channel, and they’ve been a mess.

The Bruins on NESN went from 4.9 rating at 8:30 p.m. to a 2.9 at 8:45, then back to a 4.9 at 9, peaking with a 7.4 at 9:30. In the same span, NBCSN’s coverage of the game went from 4.8 to 2.7 and up to a 4.8, peaking with a 5.4 at 9:30.

Why the 8:45 p.m. dip? Well, the melting-into-a-puddle Sox were drawing viewers’ attention. Ratings for ESPN’s coverage rose from 2.4 at 8:30 to 3.7 at 8:45, then back down to 1.9 at 9. Over on NESNplus, there was a similar pattern with similar numbers: 2.6/4.0/1.6.

Meanwhile, the Celtics on NBCSB saw its audience rise steadily in an overlapping window. At 8:15 p.m. the broadcast had a 1.8 rating, but that climbed in 15-minute increments over the next hour to 3.1, then 4.3, 5.9, and finally, at 9:15 p.m., a 6.0. Ratings in the same span on TNT climbed from 2.2 at 8:15 p.m. to 3.6 at 9:15.

A couple of questions.

First am I alone in watching both games in their entirely?

I tape the Celtics, watch the Bruins live and then go back and watch the Celtics in full.

Second..do the ratings account for this in any way?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
A couple of questions.

First am I alone in watching both games in their entirely?

I tape the Celtics, watch the Bruins live and then go back and watch the Celtics in full.

Second..do the ratings account for this in any way?
Unless you have a Nielsen box the ratings don't care.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I would prefer NESN, but I’m out of market, so it’s NBC. It sucks that my feed is substantially behind y’all’s, so I have to stay out of the GDT.

Hope we’ll get Alberts again tomorrow. Doc annoys me.

member 96824

NBC but it’s not cause of Jack..though it does make the decision easier.

NESN is not a friend to cord cutters. Even their streaming options are all within a walled garden of $60+ monthly cable packages unless you’re going the r*d*it path. NBC makes it easy...they also make it super easy to bounce around from game to game which is nice.

I’d be interested to hear Michael Hall’s approach to NESN’s digital strategy and what they are trying to accomplish.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
NBC but it’s not cause of Jack..though it does make the decision easier.

NESN is not a friend to cord cutters. Even their streaming options are all within a walled garden of $60+ monthly cable packages unless you’re going the r*d*it path. NBC makes it easy...they also make it super easy to bounce around from game to game which is nice.

I’d be interested to hear Michael Hall’s approach to NESN’s digital strategy and what they are trying to accomplish.
YouTube TV... except it is going to $50 per month and with internet is over $100 easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad