Recalled/Assigned: Archibald, Pelletier up. Sauve down. (UPDATE: Pelletier sent back down)

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Looks like Burrows is back...

Guessing:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows
Sestito-Richardson-Kassian
Archibald-Welsh-Weber

The era of Sestito. Well I guess after years .... our bottom six finally has some size.

I'd put Archibald on the 3rd. Sestito is forever 4th line.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd put Archibald on the 3rd. Sestito is forever 4th line.

At this point Sestito is the better player. Sestito has handled his increased ice time quite well and Archibald didn't show anything to deserve more minutes. Neither belong on a third line at this point, but Sestito has earned first crack imo.

I feel bad for Kassian, he keeps almost getting linemates with a lick of offensive ability. I'd love to see a Burrows-Santo-Kassian line, but not really fair to Higgins the way he has started the season to put him with the mish mash we have in the bottom six.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Kassian has 1 goal and 1 point in 8 games and is 16th in team scoring behind the likes of Stanton, Weise, and even Booth.

Ironically he's also 16th in ice time which makes him equal to a third line forward bordering on 4th line.

He really needs to start producing something. No more of this ''he's playing great'' because he actually gets involved and does what every other player does on a nightly basis, but time to actually get some points.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Kassian has 1 goal and 1 point in 8 games and is 16th in team scoring behind the likes of Stanton, Weise, and even Booth.

Ironically he's also 16th in ice time which makes him equal to a third line forward bordering on 4th line.

He really needs to start producing something. No more of this ''he's playing great'' because he actually gets involved and does what every other player does on a nightly basis, but time to actually get some points.
This. I feel like people so badly want him to do well that they are lightning-quick to compliment any little thing, and extremely hesitant to point out any fault. I don't think he has been all that great thusfar. He seems to have gained some hockey IQ, yes... but he hasn't really had many scoring chances, or contributed to many.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
At this point Sestito is the better player. Sestito has handled his increased ice time quite well and Archibald didn't show anything to deserve more minutes. Neither belong on a third line at this point, but Sestito has earned first crack imo.

the problem is, sestito doesn't have a lick of hockey IQ or hands. archibald is worth trying on the third line, sestito just completely isn't.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario

I feel bad for Kassian, he keeps almost getting linemates with a lick of offensive ability. I'd love to see a Burrows-Santo-Kassian line, but not really fair to Higgins the way he has started the season to put him with the mish mash we have in the bottom six.

I would like to know why you think Sestito is handling his icetime well? He really isn't doing anything, the only thing he brings on this team is a physical presence and he can't even do that majority of the time. I suspect Torts doesn't want him taking useless fights like he did last season, where he used to pick the worst times to fight. I would take Archibald over Sestito any day, watched him last year with wolves, offensive ability there, skating needs work but he's that type of player who can bring engery to this team. A player with less potential but same abilities as Kassian (power forwards). Most power forwards take a very very long type to develop, but once they get to the point that you want them to be..you really can't let go of them.

This. I feel like people so badly want him to do well that they are lightning-quick to compliment any little thing, and extremely hesitant to point out any fault. I don't think he has been all that great thusfar. He seems to have gained some hockey IQ, yes... but he hasn't really had many scoring chances, or contributed to many.

There is only so much you can do when you're getting limited minutes (third or fourth line min), if you haven't noticed his impressive puck handling abilities then your missing out. Kassian won't wow you with his defensive or goal scoring ability, he's a player that has great hands... since juniors, his puck handling ability (while he also has guys always on him) has been the highlight of his skills. Noticed a big difference in his game, he isn't producing but he has set up chances for his line mates, they just aren't going in.

If Burrows is back Monday, I would like to see burrows centreing second line. He did well last season in the limited games he was in that position, we may as well try it again. Or we can make Sanotrelli centre second line for now.
Sedin-Sedin-Kes,
Higgins-Burrows-Kassian
Richardson-Santorelli-Archibald
Who-Actually-Cares (just kidding but our fourth line would be scary, and not in a good way...)
OR
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler,
Burrows-Santorelli-Kassian,
Higgins-Richardson-Archibald
And then welsh can be our fourth line LOL

Am I the only one who thinks Higgins is kind of off to a bad start, anyways... lots of different line combos. It's amazing what you can do with one more top 6 guy, torts will have fun.

Last edited:

LolClarkson*

Team 1040 even admitted to treating Kassian this way.

Enough talk of good shifts. He needs good periods and good games.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Wasn't Higgins a centre during his 20 goal seasons in Montreal ?

He only played centre sporadically after being drafted, but has never been practically good at it. His faceoff percentage was horrible last I recall, hence being converted to a winger. I suppose, it would not kill us to try it, but... don't get your hopes up.

LolClarkson*

I would like to know why you think Sestito is handling his icetime well? He really isn't doing anything, the only thing he brings on this team is a physical presence and he can't even do that majority of the time. I suspect Torts doesn't want him taking useless fights like he did last season, where he used to pick the worst times to fight. I would take Archibald over Sestito any day, watched him last year with wolves, offensive ability there, skating needs work but he's that type of player who can bring engery to this team. A player with less potential but same abilities as Kassian (power forwards). Most power forwards take a very very long type to develop, but once they get to the point that you want them to be..you really can't let go of them.

There is only so much you can do when you're getting limited minutes (third or fourth line min), if you haven't noticed his impressive puck handling abilities then your missing out. Kassian won't wow you with his defensive or goal scoring ability, he's a player that has great hands... since juniors, his puck handling ability (while he also has guys always on him) has been the highlight of his skills. Noticed a big difference in his game, he isn't producing but he has set up chances for his line mates, they just aren't going in.

If Burrows is back Monday, I would like to see burrows centreing second line. He did well last season in the limited games he was in that position, we may as well try it again. Or we can make Sanotrelli centre second line for now.
Sedin-Sedin-Kes,
Higgins-Burrows-Kassian
Who-Actually-Cares (just kidding but our fourth line would be scary, and not in a good way...)
OR
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler,

Am I the only one who thinks Higgins is kind of off to a bad start, anyways... lots of different line combos. It's amazing what you can do with one more top 6 guy, torts will have fun.

Regarding Kassian. The bottom line is, the likes of Wiese and Booth and Stanton have outscored him to this point. That is not something to overlook.

Why are you still trying to give him a pass for not producing ?

Wetcoaster

Regarding Kassian. The bottom line is, the likes of Wiese and Booth and Stanton have outscored him to this point. That is not something to overlook.

Why are you still trying to give him a pass for not producing ?
Like overlooking Kassian's 8 game suspension that covered 5 games of the regular season?

blendini

Jul 15, 2012

Sedin-Sedin-Kes,
Higgins-Burrows-Kassian
OR
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler,

Uh...yeah, you probably are. 4 goals/2 assists so far and on pace for 25 (with only 35% offensive zone starts); 2:1 takeaway/giveaway ratio (one of the best in NHL); 22hits; aggressive along the boards and keeps the play alive in the O zone. If you want to talk about Corsi, his +9.9 is 4th on the team despite the low O zone starts.

He's been looking like a 2nd line player and yet, you want to see Kassian on the 2nd line.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
Uh...yeah, you probably are. 4 goals/2 assists so far and on pace for 25 (with only 35% offensive zone starts); 2:1 takeaway/giveaway ratio (one of the best in NHL); 22hits; aggressive along the boards and keeps the play alive in the O zone. If you want to talk about Corsi, his +9.9 is 4th on the team despite the low O zone starts.

He's been looking like a 2nd line player and yet, you want to see Kassian on the 2nd line.

I am judging from performance on ice and not stats (otherwise I could argue Richardson is going to get that far too offensively, which he might, but he's impressed more defensively) cause his stats have been good, but doesn't really match up to what I see on the ice for past games. Higgins definitely had a slow start in beginning, he's also playing with line mates who have had great starts, he had a few games where they have been good and a few games where he's been pretty invisible. As for Kassian, up until last game (he played with Welsh and Sestito) he was improving significantly, looked a lot better, when you start the season with a 5 game suspension...obviously it's going to take you longer to get comfortable and he's heading in right direction..

BTW, I would put Higgins on third line just to give us a third line...

Last edited:

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
No. That can't be included if you have an agenda to push.

It definitely makes a direct comparison of total points not very meaningful.

On the other hand, it isn't really a positive that Kassian got suspended for being irresponsible with his stick during a preseason game...

So in the end, maybe ignoring the suspension is a bit of a wash.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team 1040 even admitted to treating Kassian this way.

Enough talk of good shifts. He needs good periods and good games.

Kassian had a legitimately excellent game against NYI where he was driving the play, creating chances, and was noticeable almost every shift. Scored a disallowed goal and it was his best NHL game.

You could see the player you want him to be in that game, and I really hoped he'd build on it. But his last two games have been back to being mostly invisible with one or two blips of good play over the course of a game.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Wasn't Higgins a centre during his 20 goal seasons in Montreal ?

He only played center with any kind of regularity before he was drafted. As Bourne Endeavor mentioned, he was tried at that position with the Habs; but was awful in the role. At the NHL level - he's a winger.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
I am judging from performance on ice and not stats (otherwise I could argue Richardson is going to get that far too offensively, which he might, but he's impressed more defensively) cause his stats have been good, but doesn't really match up to what I see on the ice for past games. Higgins definitely had a slow start in beginning, he's also playing with line mates who have had great starts, he had a few games where they have been good and a few games where he's been pretty invisible. As for Kassian, up until last game (he played with Welsh and Sestito) he was improving significantly, looked a lot better, when you start the season with a 5 game suspension...obviously it's going to take you longer to get comfortable and he's heading in right direction..

BTW, I would put Higgins on third line just to give us a third line...

OK, so you don't want to look at stats. I do have to say that Richardson has never had a 20 goal season, while Higgins has had multiple seasons with 20. Also, since he's been in Van, Chris has been on target for 20 g each season.

By watching the game, I'd say that Higgin's performance on the ice is better than Zack's in every aspect of the game so far. Zack has had a couple of good games and few average ones. The team desperately needs a decent 2nd line and I really can't see Tort's moving Higgins for Kassian's inconsistent game.

Canuck fans are desperate to see Zack do well; myself included. But gifting him a top 6 position (at this point) will likely hurt the team offensively. With Burr returning, Richardson will move down to the 3rd, which will improve that line. Let's see how Kass does with a decent linemate.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Like overlooking Kassian's 8 game suspension that covered 5 games of the regular season?

Good point. Also, Kassian is in the top 9 to make the Canucks more difficult to play against. If we want to be an elite regular season team resign Raymond. Kassian is not a good top 9 player right now but if he progresses he will be. A big tough producing top9 player is the goal if Vancouver can win while trying to develop Kassian great. Higgins is better at the moment but he is what he is, and is not progressing.

Wizeman*

Hodgson is now being benched on a team that desperately needs offence.

Nov 1, 2011
It definitely makes a direct comparison of total points not very meaningful.

On the other hand, it isn't really a positive that Kassian got suspended for being irresponsible with his stick during a preseason game...

So in the end, maybe ignoring the suspension is a bit of a wash.

I don't think you can ignore the suspension in terms of comparing total points, things should always be on a per game basis when comparing players. Also, once ice, I believe Kassian does look better than his stats would indicate and I do think he's being brought along better this year than in other years.

It should be noted that the Oilers are having a ton of trouble because they are missing Gagner (even more so when they were also missing RNH). It could be argued that Kassian, and his stick swing, might actually be one of the biggest reasons why we are so comfortably in a playoff spot right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad