Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
"Because of Andrew [MacDonald's] age, we didn’t mind 6years. We talked a lot of different scenarios, even longer than six.” - Paul Holmgren.

-Travis Yost

Man happy Homer is out. I just did a little dance.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
-Travis Yost

Man happy Homer is out. I just did a little dance.

Longer than six.....my lord! How did this man keep his job for so long....yet those of us calling for his ouster and pointing out what a dope he was were characterized as "whiners." The truth keeps coming out....

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Another strong possession game for MacDonald tonight.

Maloney was complaining at the deadline that the Yotes can't sign or keep players, so he wan't against taking guys with time left on their contracts. Maybe Hexy can talk him into having a stable signed guy like AMac around...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was thinking Vinny would be a good fit there since his salary is well below his cap hit starting 7/2/15.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I was thinking Vinny would be a good fit there since his salary is well below his cap hit starting 7/2/15.

Package Vinny and Andy for a bag of pucks and some practice pylons? Would be worth if we had to eat $1 million each....

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
It's a shame we re-signed MacDonald to such a long-term deal. We would be contenders so much sooner if we didn't have the likes of him and Lecavalier on the books.

I can live with Umberger being on the roster as a shorter-term, less-skilled alternative to Hartnell. Obviously I'd love for him not to be on the roster, but you can't have it all.

I see them dumping Schenn and hanging onto Grossmann because no one will be in for Grossmann, yet Schenn has some value. I actually like Schenn as a 3rd pairing defenseman, so I'll be somewhat upset to see him go if I'm right. I'd much rather give up Grossmann who cannot improve and who is left-handed.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Hextall can allocate in the right spots, Macdonald might just end up being the most expensive 7th d-man in the league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Holmgren's fondness for overly long contracts is well known. Fortunately he was able to get out of the Richards and Bryzgalov deals.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
Holmgren's fondness for overly long contracts is well known. Fortunately he was able to get out of the Richards and Bryzgalov deals.

He only got out of Bryzgalov's contract by virtue of a no-strings-attached buyout. He lucked out with that one (though in fairness, so did 31 other GMs).

The Richards and Carter deals were pretty sweet though - I'll give him that.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
It's amazing how Holmgren isn't in Ed Snider's doghouse.

The man has single handedly cost him millions of dollars in buyout money.

Also, whenever I see this thread, my first thought is "We signed him to another 6 years!?!?! Noooooo" LOL

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
It's amazing how Holmgren isn't in Ed Snider's doghouse.

The man has single handedly cost him millions of dollars in buyout money.

Also, whenever I see this thread, my first thought is "We signed him to another 6 years!?!?! Noooooo" LOL

Simple answer to that, Snider is the one that pushed for Bryz to be signed.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
Do people really believe Hextall had no involvement in the MacDonald contract?

Maybe he did, but Holmgren had the final say on the deal.

Nothing Hextall has done since his tenure as GM has started has indicated that he will be irresponsible in regard to FA signings. I like the Bellemare re-signing and he picked up a Schultz and del Zotto off the scrap heap for a very reasonable amount.

I say all this knocking on wood :)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That was before Toews and Kane were making huge dollars though. And Keith. But Toews and Kane were still on ELC's. You're talking about bottoming out for multiple years. This team won't be nearly that bad unless Giroux and Voracek decide at the same time they want to go on a Mormon mission or something.

Sounds like MacDonald sits today. They might not be able to buy it out, but they can't sit a $5M player in Year 1 of 6 and expect that not to become a untenable situation.

"We would like to take just a few minutes of your time to talk about advanced stats."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad