Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think they think low enough of MacDonald to dump him at any cost. Not after one full year. One thing to take into account in evaluating the players is projecting them with a new coach. Probably one of the things that would get a new coach this job would be how they plan to make MacDonald into a player who isn't completely awful. I'd only trade him for someone else's problem, I'm not adding draft picks and prospects to do so.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think they think low enough of MacDonald to dump him at any cost. Not after one full year. One thing to take into account in evaluating the players is projecting them with a new coach. Probably one of the things that would get a new coach this job would be how they plan to make MacDonald into a player who isn't completely awful. I'd only trade him for someone else's problem, I'm not adding draft picks and prospects to do so.

Someone posted something in the trades board about Amac so I'll just repeat my comment here. I think it would be possible to deal him, for example, to Arizona.

I heard at the deadline that Don Maloney was bemoaning the fact that UFAs won't go to Arizona and he cannot trade for guys with NTC/NMCs because they won't waive.

He said he might take guys signed longer term since it's the only option for him to acquire players.

Perhaps Hexy could swing a deal with them?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Someone posted something in the trades board about Amac so I'll just repeat my comment here. I think it would be possible to deal him, for example, to Arizona.

I heard at the deadline that Don Maloney was bemoaning the fact that UFAs won't go to Arizona and he cannot trade for guys with NTC/NMCs because they won't waive.

He said he might take guys signed longer term since it's the only option for him to acquire players.

Perhaps Hexy could swing a deal with them?

I have recently started my campaign to send MacDonald to Arizona. I started a few days ago when I saw they have 3 NHL defenseman for next year. OEL, Murphy, and Stone. They will need help. MacDonald gives them a player who will be there for 5 years and don't have to worry about losing him via UFA.

Hextall has big plans I think this off season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I have recently started my campaign to send MacDonald to Arizona. I started a few days ago when I saw they have 3 NHL defenseman for next year. OEL, Murphy, and Stone. They will need help. MacDonald gives them a player who will be there for 5 years and don't have to worry about losing him via UFA.

Hextall has big plans I think this off season.

It's not going to be easy, but moving AMac and Grossmann or Luke will clear up enough bodies to make room for some kids.

AMac is serviceable, it's just that Del Zotto does everything he does, and better. PP. PK. ES.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It's not going to be easy, but moving AMac and Grossmann or Luke will clear up enough bodies to make room for some kids.

AMac is serviceable, it's just that Del Zotto does everything he does, and better. PP. PK. ES.

The problem with trading AMAC there is if they want something in return for taking him. I don't think that would be a problem but they don't have too many contracts that are terrible. The only contract that is really along those lines is Smith's but there's no chance we take him.

MacDonald for Doan would be hilarious.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I don't see why we would send anything along with MacDonald to Arizona. He helps them a lot. 1) They get another defenseman, which is much needed. 2) His high cap hit helps them reach the salary floor without taking on dead space like Pronger. If they are going to be paying someone some money I'm sure they'd rather have that player actually playing. MacDonald isn't terrible either, he could be a number four there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The dead space that is Pronger would actually be attractive to them. He only gets paid $1M for the rest of the contract.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
The dead space that is Pronger would actually be attractive to them. He only gets paid $1M for the rest of the contract.

The question is; do they pay that 1 mil AND whatever sum it would take to sign someone to actualy play D for that team, or do they pay MacDonald 5M? I don't think the latter is that improbable, think they would prefer it over Prongers case.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I don't see why we would send anything along with MacDonald to Arizona. He helps them a lot. 1) They get another defenseman, which is much needed. 2) His high cap hit helps them reach the salary floor without taking on dead space like Pronger. If they are going to be paying someone some money I'm sure they'd rather have that player actually playing. MacDonald isn't terrible either, he could be a number four there.

The question is; do they pay that 1 mil AND whatever sum it would take to sign someone to actualy play D for that team, or do they pay MacDonald 5M? I don't think the latter is that improbable, think they would prefer it over Prongers case.

I believe the only way a 'Small Market Team' benefits from taking on a High Cap to help them get closer to the Cap Floor is if that High Cap player's Salary is low but his Cap Hit is High -- the Pronger example quoted above is a perfect example -- It makes no sense to me for such a Franchise to take on a High Cap Player that they don't feel is worth it... or they don't actually want... when they can actually spend the Cash Salary on a player they desire. They can even over pay if so inclined and be in a better situation than taking on a player's high Salary who is under performing or doesn't fit their needs/wants.

If they like MacD and feel he is worth the Cash outlay then by all means they should take him... but if they merely want to reach the Cap Floor, it would be foolish to take him, and would be better to spend or even over-spend the Cash on a targeted player... Or find a Front-Loaded Contract Player who has reached his bargain years and who is no longer wanted by a Large Market Team in Cap Hell.

If Hexy can sell Arizona on MacD's upside he may be able to trade him there... and while he's at it he may be able to throw in the Title to the Walt Whitman Bridge as a sweetener. ;)

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I believe the only way a 'Small Market Team' benefits from taking on a High Cap to help them get closer to the Cap Floor is if that High Cap player's Salary is low but his Cap Hit is High -- the Pronger example quoted above is a perfect example -- It makes no sense to me for such a Franchise to take on a High Cap Player that they don't feel is worth it... or they don't actually want... when they can actually spend the Cash Salary on a player they desire. They can even over pay if so inclined and be in a better situation than taking on a player's high Salary who is under performing or doesn't fit their needs/wants.

If they like MacD and feel he is worth the Cash outlay then by all means they should take him... but if they merely want to reach the Cap Floor, it would be foolish to take him, and would be better to spend or even over-spend the Cash on a targeted player... Or find a Front-Loaded Contract Player who has reached his bargain years and who is no longer wanted by a Large Market Team in Cap Hell.

If Hexy can sell Arizona on MacD's upside he may be able to trade him there... and while he's at it he may be able to throw in the Title to the Walt Whitman Bridge as a sweetener. ;)

I agree that wouldn't be a great contract to take on, but the truth is that Arizona has a hard time getting FAs to sign there, so the GM mentioned about trading for people with some length on their contract. MacDonald fits that perfectly, in my opinion. They also need a couple of defenseman next season, they don't have much after their first pair. It makes sense to me. Maybe Edmonton as well, but Arizona more so to me.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I agree that wouldn't be a great contract to take on, but the truth is that Arizona has a hard time getting FAs to sign there, so the GM mentioned about trading for people with some length on their contract. MacDonald fits that perfectly, in my opinion. They also need a couple of defenseman next season, they don't have much after their first pair. It makes sense to me. Maybe Edmonton as well, but Arizona more so to me.

Haha... Seems to me if Arizona will have trouble getting players to play there, why on Earth did they fight to keep a Franchise there... Should have let it move and be done with it... Maybe players would fight to play in Lost Wages... and, except for a Lindros, they might love to play I beautiful Quebec City. Just sayin'.

SchennSational1022*

There had to be something there, he wasn't this bad last year when he was here. He was brutal in playoffs, but he was hurt there too.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There had to be something there, he wasn't this bad last year when he was here. He was brutal in playoffs, but he was hurt there too.

True, then that is the video they should send to other teams as they trade him for whatever. They don't need him or his contract. Del Zotto is better than him in every way and will probably take less to sign.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Is it bad I much rather move Grossmann and Luke Schenn before MacDonald. Don't get me wrong, I would ship him out in a minute but the other two have terrible foot speed and are overall just terrible defenseman. I feel like players like MacDonald can rebound based on his skill set, he can move the puck, skate with the puck and doesn't have handle the puck like a grenade. Grossmann and Schenn both can't really do any of those thing. They are essential now in the NHL. The stay at home defender is losing it's place.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Is it bad I much rather move Grossmann and Luke Schenn before MacDonald. Don't get me wrong, I would ship him out in a minute but the other two have terrible foot speed and are overall just terrible defenseman. I feel like players like MacDonald can rebound based on his skill set, he can move the puck, skate with the puck and doesn't have handle the puck like a grenade. Grossmann and Schenn both can't really do any of those thing. They are essential now in the NHL. The stay at home defender is losing it's place.

No. I wouldn't shed a tear if they move Amac, but if I had my druthers, I'd choose those two as well. I think MacDonald can rebound, he'll never be worth that contract, but he can certainly be better than last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's also value in trying to revive McDonald, if he bounces back, a solid D-man with a 4 year $20M deal might be very attractive next offseason, especially if the cap increases, or even at the trade deadline - he'd still be 29 going into the last four years of his deal. And he can buy a season while the kids grow up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't get singling him out over Rinaldo, Vinny, Emery, Umberger, LSchenn and Grossmann and Read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad