Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Do people really believe Hextall had no involvement in the MacDonald contract?

Unfortunately we'll probably never know for sure what Hextall's involvement in the MacDonald contract was because none of us were there to see if Hextall said anything about it being too much and too long. Hextall is also the type of guy to say the "right" things to the media so he'll say things like "we decided" or "it was our decision". He's not the type of guy to throw Homer under the bus even if he did object and Homer went ahead anyway.

What I do know is if I look at Holmgren's deals and look at Hextall's deals...MacDonald's REEKS of a Holmgren deal.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
Unfortunately we'll probably never know for sure what Hextall's involvement in the MacDonald contract was because none of us were there to see if Hextall said anything about it being too much and too long. Hextall is also the type of guy to say the "right" things to the media so he'll say things like "we decided" or "it was our decision". He's not the type of guy to throw Homer under the bus even if he did object and Homer went ahead anyway.

What I do know is if I look at Holmgren's deals and look at Hextall's deals...MacDonald's REEKS of a Holmgren deal.

With the provision that Hextall's sample size is much smaller than Holmgren's.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Homer contacted Hextall about being the gm in December. The MacDonald contract was signed in April. Hextall has a part in it because he was going to be the GM that was dealing with it after the year. He was the assistant gm at the point as well, and I'm pretty sure his input was readily there for Holmgren

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Homer contacted Hextall about being the gm in December. The MacDonald contract was signed in April. Hextall has a part in it because he was going to be the GM that was dealing with it after the year. He was the assistant gm at the point as well, and I'm pretty sure his input was readily there for Holmgren

True he was there but its all just speculation at this point. What we do know is Holmgren was the GM at the time and AMAC is on him.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
From Hextall interview in summer:

Q: You mention Andrew MacDonald. You weren't the general manager at the time of that trade, of that signing, but a lot of people peg him as a guy who really needs to step up this year given his contract, given that Kimmo is probably out for at least a little bit.

When that move was made, and I know you weren't GM but you were in the front office, what was your input on that move and your opinion on signing MacDonald to that hefty contract?

A: We all like Andrew. He's a good player. He can play all situations and he's a smart player. Can he play better than he played for us last year? Yeah, he can. He played better at times on the Island. Sometimes you gotta watch his minutes because he's not a big guy, but he's a good player.

As far as his contract, he essentially was an unrestricted free agent and they get a premium. That's reality. I think he played 24 minutes for us last year, he's a high minute guy and those guys are in demand. Again, he essentially was a UFA.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...ll-interview-flyers-defense-part-1/in/5838838

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This is my belief as well. I think there was a hand shake agreement for Hextall to be the GM even before December. I highly doubt Holmgren gave that contract to MacDonald without Hexy OK'ing it.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Hextall isnt going to trash A Mac or Holmgren so I dont see how you can take anything out of that comment. I have a hard time believing Hextall would have given him that kind of term, especially seeing what kind of contract Schultz was given.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ

Q: You mention Andrew MacDonald. You weren't the general manager at the time of that trade, of that signing, but a lot of people peg him as a guy who really needs to step up this year given his contract, given that Kimmo is probably out for at least a little bit.

When that move was made, and I know you weren't GM but you were in the front office, what was your input on that move and your opinion on signing MacDonald to that hefty contract?

A: We all like Andrew. He's a good player. He can play all situations and he's a smart player. Can he play better than he played for us last year? Yeah, he can. He played better at times on the Island. Sometimes you gotta watch his minutes because he's not a big guy, but he's a good player.

As far as his contract, he essentially was an unrestricted free agent and they get a premium. That's reality. I think he played 24 minutes for us last year, he's a high minute guy and those guys are in demand. Again, he essentially was a UFA.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...ll-interview-flyers-defense-part-1/in/5838838

I agree he was a UFA and they get a premium but just because a team is willing to give out a contract COUGHDavid ClarksonCough.. doesn't mean it has to be us. If someone else wants to pay him that much...Let them!

And again Hextall is always going to say the right things to the media so its no surprise when he says stuff like this. For all we know AMAC was all Hextall's idea and Holmgren was against it. We'll never know. We'll never know what office politics were going on then with Luukko/Holmgren/Hextall and Snider/ComcastSpectacor, Buyouts of Briere/Bryz etc. Maybe someone was pissed and behind closed doors a lot of yelling and screaming? And just in the media they are being nice? Maybe Peter Luukko did just leave for personal reasons and he had to move to Florida? Maybe. Maybe Paul Holmgren really was promoted because they loved the job he did as GM? I don't know. Maybe what they say in interviews is true. You can believe that if you want. I don't buy it. Now I'm not Hextall can turn water into wine but I do like what he's done so far and the AMAC deal looks liks a Holmgren to me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hextall isnt going to trash A Mac or Holmgren so I dont see how you can take anything out of that comment. I have a hard time believing Hextall would have given him that kind of term, especially seeing what kind of contract Schultz was given.

exactly. he isn't going to say I never would of given the contract Holmgren gave him and I don't think Macdonald is worth that kind of money. He is a team guy and is going to say everything politically correct on the situation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It worked out for them in the short term but potentially losing $5m off your cap for the rest of the decade is not a minor issue. That's the risk of signing or trading for a player with such long contract in a sport with as many injuries as hockey.

If Richards hadn't been traded and was now a 4th line/AHL center for the Flyers the number one issue on this board would be how badly Holmgren screwed the team with that 12 year deal. I would much rather work around a higher cap hit in exchange for a more reasonable term, like 8 years at $7 million. I thought so back in 2007, and nothing that's happened since then has changed my mind.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

you wouldn't trade 2 Cups and have the worse thing to come out of it is to have a veteran buried in the minors? I would. no questions asked.

Plus, it wouldn't have been so bad if they would have used a compliance buy-out on Richards. which they should have.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

"Sometimes you gotta watch his minutes because he's not a big guy, but he's a good player."

"...he's a high minute guy and those guys are in demand."

Is this contradictory only to me?

I think I remember Hextall also saying they considered him a need but the term of the contract was something he had some issue with...especially since Holmgren was actually considering giving him even more than 6 years!

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
A couple Sens fans offered Zack Smith and Colin Greening for MacD and Chi 2nd. I think I'd do this. Greening has 2 years left at 2.65 per, and Z Smith is 2 years a 1.887. If you put Smith down in the AHL you save .925 on his hit, he would cost .962 against our cap for 2 years playing in the AHL or 1.887 if hes on the NHL team. Basically instead of a 5 million dollar cap hit, we would have 3.612 against the cap, instead of 5, have a productive player at a position of need (LW) and a 2nd productive player in the AHL at C. both contracts expire in 3 less years.

Greening is a productive NHL LW? He has 1 point in 26 games this season.

I'd prefer Greening as a 13th forward for 2 years at 2.65 then Amac at 5 per for the next 5, preventing a younger player from filling his role.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This guy fell off the cliff, landed next to a chasm, and then rolled over the edge to keep on falling.

He has my vote for most disappointing player of the year, and with Schenn getting a new lease on life by looking rejuvenated on the right side, it's really not close.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd prefer Greening as a 13th forward for 2 years at 2.65 then Amac at 5 per for the next 5, preventing a younger player from filling his role.

His real cost would be $3.612m because of the other forward involved in the trade.

Which young player is he holding back? The whole defense is never going to be made up of guys in their early 20s, and with Grossmann, LSchenn, Schultz, Streit and Gudas (and probably MDZ) only having one or two years left on their deals there will be plenty of spots on the D when the prospects are ready.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would give AMac a chance to bounce back a bit before trading away a 2nd.

His one positive was being a league leading shot blocker and this season he was near the bottom of his team. Similar would be Zac Rinaldo being near the bottom of Flyers forwards in terms of hits next year.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
His real cost would be $3.612m because of the other forward involved in the trade.

Which young player is he holding back? The whole defense is never going to be made up of guys in their early 20s, and with Grossmann, LSchenn, Schultz, Streit and Gudas (and probably MDZ) only having one or two years left on their deals there will be plenty of spots on the D when the prospects are ready.

yes 3.612 per for 2 years. Rather then 5 for 5 years for a bottom pairing defensemen. Our defense next year without moving anyone and assuming MDZ is resigned is going to be a combination of Schultz, Grossmann, Streit, MDZ, Schenn, Gudas, MacDonald. Jesus dude, if you don't see the value in moving a 5 million dollar bottom pairing d-man with 5 years left on his contract, when we have young, promising, players chomping at the bit to take his spot, and replace it with a 3.6 million dollar contract that expires in 2 years for a guy who likely will see a limited role on the team, well then Idk what to say. Yea it'll cost a 2nd to facilitate the deal. Boo hoo. It's an extremely late 2nd that frankly we basically stole from a team for nothing. MacDonalds contract should be practically immovable if you have a team that would be willing to take it on, at a relatively low cost, I dont see how you cant pull the trigger on that.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

His one positive was being a league leading shot blocker and this season he was near the bottom of his team. Similar would be Zac Rinaldo being near the bottom of Flyers forwards in terms of hits next year.

He accumulates a ton of blocked shots because he doesn't put any pressure on the puck carrier and just lets them walk into our zone uninhibited, then he gets stuck in the zone, therefore, more shots against, more opportunity to block more shots. This isn't a positive.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He hasn't blocked many shots at all this season. So that theory doesn't hold up. He also gives up fewer shot attempts against per minute at ES than Del Zotto, Grossmann, Streit, Schultz, and LSchenn. Select the Corsi column, then look at AB for blocked shots and CA60 for shot attempts per 60.

http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.h...&end0=20142015&end1=2015-04-10&splitseasons=1

Meltzer said he and another writer had a long chat with Mason at practice one day and Mase said he told the D only to block shots if they were sure they would get all of it. And there hasn't been much shot blocking by the defense this season going by war on ice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad