Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here's the actual issue. Maybe MacDonald is a 3rd pairing defenseman. He still isn't among the top 6 defensemen on THIS roster.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes he is. He's better than Grossmann, MDZ and LSchenn. Take him out of the top 6 and you get the MDZ-Schenn pairing back, and they got torched for goals early this season.

Grossmann's Corsi stats are terrible considering he gets to play with Streit. Saddling our best offensive Dman with an anchor with concrete hands makes no sense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Am i misremembering when I recall that MacD was far more effective when paired with Streit for a time?

Berube just has to pair his garbage meathead with a puckmover no matter how it affects the rest of the roster, though.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Am i misremembering when I recall that MacD was far more effective when paired with Streit for a time?

Berube just has to pair his garbage meathead with a puckmover no matter how it affects the rest of the roster, though.

No I remember the same. They were paired together for at least part of one shift this past game.

I hope macd is just injured still or his play is a result of missing time. I think that this is the case. He is not deserving of his money or term either way

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Everyone plays better with Streit.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yes he is. He's better than Grossmann, MDZ and LSchenn. Take him out of the top 6 and you get the MDZ-Schenn pairing back, and they got torched for goals early this season.

Grossmann's Corsi stats are terrible considering he gets to play with Streit. Saddling our best offensive Dman with an anchor with concrete hands makes no sense.

if it wasn't for Mason, MacDonald would have been torched for more goals than he has so far this season. MacDonald has been better than a couple of the Flyers average at best defenseman. good for him. he still sucks and is not worth the contract he got.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Haven't heard much chatter on AMac lately.

I was an early defender of the trade and the signing, but am now concerned - not just about his play this year (which has been indisputably brutal), but about the complete lack of upside that seems to be there.

The guy just about never a good play with the puck and is invisible in the offensive half of the ice.

In the TO game, he was torched a few times by the likes of Kadri and Booth. Just horrendous.

So my question - is it time to seriously talk buyout with this guy? Particularly if MDZ and/or Coburn stick around. What are the options?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

I was an early defender of the trade and the signing, but am now concerned - not just about his play this year (which has been indisputably brutal), but about the complete lack of upside that seems to be there.

The guy just about never a good play with the puck and is invisible in the offensive half of the ice.

In the TO game, he was torched a few times by the likes of Kadri and Booth. Just horrendous.

So my question - is it time to seriously talk buyout with this guy? Particularly if MDZ and/or Coburn stick around. What are the options?

It's not viable and it won't be for quite some time

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McDonald is overpaid, but adequate when paired with L Schenn.
For the next two years, he'll be one of the veteran defensemen while the kids are growing up.

After that, he's on a 3 year, $15M deal, which will be much easier to deal since he'll be 30, if the cap doesn't go up, you throw in $6M to make it palatable to another team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Chicago can win the Cup paying their back-up goalie almost $6 million (Christobal Huet in 2010), then we can deal with his contract too. 4/6 of our D will most likely be guys on entry level contracts by 2016-2017.

What can I say, i'm an optimist?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Chicago can win the Cup paying their back-up goalie almost $6 million (Christobal Huet in 2010), then we can deal with his contract too. 4/6 of our D will most likely be guys on entry level contracts by 2016-2017.

That was before Toews and Kane were making huge dollars though. And Keith. But Toews and Kane were still on ELC's. You're talking about bottoming out for multiple years. This team won't be nearly that bad unless Giroux and Voracek decide at the same time they want to go on a Mormon mission or something.

Sounds like MacDonald sits today. They might not be able to buy it out, but they can't sit a $5M player in Year 1 of 6 and expect that not to become a untenable situation.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Having one contract like that is one thing. We have three.

SchennSational1022*

Amac is overpaid, but he doesn't deserve to be getting scratched over Nicklas ****ing Grossmann.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I actually think MacDonald has been fine. Overpaid, yes, but pretty decent since his first run of getting scratched. It's pretty ridiculous that Grossmann continues to get a free pass for his turnovers anytime the puck's on his blade.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Except in 'special' BuyOut situations... like the ones which are not against the Cap when a Cap Roster Correction is allowed under a new CBA... I am never for the Dead Cap Space that BOs and Cap Retention brings... I'd rather manage with the player while seeking solutions with other GMs in a one hand washes the other situation... To me it is better to carry a contract of a player for depth than to have Dead Cap Space and then have to replace that player with another Contract that eats Cap Space. As proven by other Gms, Organizations may at times swap one's troubles for another's troubles in hopes that they fit in better under their Systems OR the Contract length differential is beneficial in their particular situations. Patience, diligence, persistence and salesmanship are the keys... BuyOuts should be the last choice, IMO.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Except in 'special' BuyOut situations... like the ones which are not against the Cap when a Cap Roster Correction is allowed under a new CBA... I am never for the Dead Cap Space that BOs and Cap Retention brings... I'd rather manage with the player while seeking solutions with other GMs in a one hand washes the other situation... To me it is better to carry a contract of a player for depth than to have Dead Cap Space and then have to replace that player with another Contract that eats Cap Space. As proven by other Gms, Organizations may at times swap one's troubles for another's troubles in hopes that they fit in better under their Systems OR the Contract length differential is beneficial in their particular situations. Patience, diligence, persistence and salesmanship are the keys... BuyOuts should be the last choice, IMO.

There is such a thing as addition by subtraction and that can be worth the dead cap space depending on years and term. Especially if paying less in the short and long term than otherwise. The near obligatory rise in the salary cap notwithstanding.

The problem with MacDonalds contract is that it's back loaded in terms of real dollars. It makes sense of course, the rising cap makes the impact less but it makes a buyout near impossible. The longer you wait the more they will pay.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If we bought out MacDonald this offseason next season would cost 4.083 against the cap

2016 4.083
2017 1.833
2018 1.333
2019 1.083
2020 .833
2021 1.583
2022 1.583
2023 1.583
2024 1.583
2025 1.583

If we bought him out in 2016

2017 2.021
2018 1.521
2019 1.271
2020 1.021
2021 1.771
2022 1.771
2023 1.771
2024 1.771

And in 2017

2018 1.583
2019 1.333
2020 1.083
2021 1.833
2022 1.833
2023 1.833

And in 2018

2019 1.375
2020 1.125
2021 1.875
2022 1.875

Finally 2019

2020 1.167
2021 1.917

FOR Reference he costs 5.0 a year until 2020

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He should be playing over Schenn, I don't care how much people hate the contract, he's better than Luke Schenn at the very least.

Same thing with Grossmann, but we all know there is absolutely zero chance he gets scratched.

Hopefully we get rid of at least one of those two at the trade deadline, although I'm certainly not expecting it.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I'm not sure he is better than Schenn, honestly.

Schenn at lest brings something. He's physical.

I don't see anything from 47 at either end

Richi

Oct 20, 2013

Let this thread die already. It´s so painful to see the Confirmed with Link

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I agree that I don't think his caphit is that big a deal in the grand picture. IMO, the Flyers need multiple top 3 defensemen and a young #2 center who can become a #1 when Giroux starts to decline. Those players are almost never available as free agents and are seldom traded either; not in their prime anyway. So that leaves the draft and the ELC's and bridge contracts that go along with home grown talent.

The Flyers do have some guys to resign in 2016; Voracek, Raffl, B. Schenn, and Couturier. Out of those, Voracek and Couturier are probably the only must signs and Couturier due to his lack of offensive production shouldn't be that expensive. So it would be nice to have capspace but do the Flyers really need any more high priced free agents?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad