Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
LMAO...…..and yet some people every now and then engage in revisionism about Holmgren's competence as a GM

MacDonald was acquired March 4 from the New York Islanders in a trade for a third-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, a second-round pick in 2015, and minor-league forward Matt Mangene.

"We kind of hashed it out a couple different ways," MacDonald said. "Ended up finishing on six [years] and I felt like a good, long-term commitment was great for me and they agreed with it. Obviously it's a big commitment for them, a big commitment for me. It's a good deal."

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said the fact MacDonald is 27 years old made the six-year length a palatable option.
"Because of his age we didn't mind six years," Holmgren said. "We talked about a lot of different scenarios, even longer than six years, but settled on six."

Flyers re-sign MacDonald, sign Gostisbehere

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, MacDonald is just rusty right now, he came back two weeks too early.
Not that he'll be good when he's 100%, but he's just here as a placeholder at this point. Like Filppula last year.
Just Hextall making do with the sows' ears he inherited from Holmgren.

We won with him last year, we'll win with him this year, then either buy him out, or trade him with half his salary retained next year.
If Morin doesn't blow his knee out and played 30-40 games last year, MacDonald might already be gone.
But that's why GM keeps guys like MAC around, you think you have it figured out, and a player takes a bad turn and you suddenly have a hole in your lineup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Guys like MacDonald are on almost every playoff team, some have 2 or 3.

It's pretty simple, if you don't have enough top defensemen, you'd rather have a limited but experienced veteran out there who knows what he's doing than some marginal kid who screws up everyone by consistently being in the wrong place.

Predictable screwups are easier to anticipate and defend than creative screwups.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Oh, MacDonald is just rusty right now, he came back two weeks too early.
Not that he'll be good when he's 100%, but he's just here as a placeholder at this point. Like Filppula last year.
Just Hextall making do with the sows' ears he inherited from Holmgren.

We won with him last year, we'll win with him this year, then either buy him out, or trade him with half his salary retained next year.
If Morin doesn't blow his knee out and played 30-40 games last year, MacDonald might already be gone.
But that's why GM keeps guys like MAC around, you think you have it figured out, and a player takes a bad turn and you suddenly have a hole in your lineup.
The way your post is formatted had me reading it like a weird poem...

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad