OT: Anything Goes 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It's so hard for me to cook it on the grill. You've got like 30 seconds to get it to the sweet spot or it's either under-cooked or turned into gray cat food

It always cooks further even after being taken off the grill, so you have to under do it to get it right.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It always cooks further even after being taken off the grill, so you have to under do it to get it right.

This is the biggest mistake I see with people cooking anything that is best when not fully cooked through, and why they always f*** it up. Like steaks, roasts, turkeys, etc. When you take them off, residual heat keeps cooking them while they rest...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can make tuna salad with fresh tuna.

And again, don't you eat sushi pretty regularly? Or did pre-Covid? If you've ever had a crunch roll, you've likely had fresh tuna. Or a rainbow roll. :thumbu:

Nah. When we do eat sushi, it's typically shrimp or crab meat.

Making tuna salad with fresh tuna seems like an incredible waste of a really expensive fish.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
This is the biggest mistake I see with people cooking anything that is best when not fully cooked through, and why they always f*** it up. Like steaks, roasts, turkeys, etc. When you take them off, residual heat keeps cooking them while they rest...

You don't cook turkey all the way through? I've never heard of that. Undercooked poultry can get you pretty sick.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You don't cook turkey all the way through? I've never heard of that. Undercooked poultry can get you pretty sick.

No, of course. That was a little misstated with the turkey. It goes to the same effect, in that people don't realize it cooks while resting still, so they overcook it, and it's dry as dogshit sitting in the summer heat, and tastes like cardboard. People regularly do the same thing to chicken breast.

They make meat thermometers for a reason people. Use em. Lol.

Reactions: hawksrule

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ah ok.

And you don't have to break the bank to get some good tuna.

Define "good tuna". lol

Any tuna I've seen in the seafood sections at stores, that isn't frozen, is typically $16-20 a pound. That's about the most expensive fish you can buy, around here.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Yup. Steaks for sure. There's about 3-4 minutes of residual cook time when you take it off and it usually raises the temp about half a level. I'm not too familiar with roasting poultry though. That'll be something I get into later in life for sure.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Tuna steaks and sushi are great. I also enjoy a tuna nicoise salad. Tuna from a can is a good, solid lunch choice option as long as it's a) in water not oil, and b) the albacore, not "light".

Shouldn't have it more than once a week or so because of the mercury.
Didn’t see this. Albacore is also important. You definitely taste the sixty cent difference.

Reactions: hawksrule

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yup. Steaks for sure. There's about 3-4 minutes of residual cook time when you take it off and it usually raises the temp about half a level. I'm not too familiar with roasting poultry though. That'll be something I get into later in life for sure.

It's simple. Roast it till 155-160 in the center of the breasts, take it out, and let it rest for 30 mins. You'll hit your 165. Especially when the bird is bigger. Bigger birds hold more heat, longer.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm not sure any tuna we get in the Chicago area is "fresh". :laugh:

Yeah there's a reason why seafood restaurants charge you $38 for Alaskan Halibut. They're paying these fishing companies a premium to guarantee that there's no more than 36 hours between the time the boat gets to the docks and the fish gets to the restaurant.

There's no way a local grocery store in Naperville is doing that.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Didn’t see this. Albacore is also important. You definitely taste the sixty cent difference.

I'm pretty sure skipjack "tuna" is not even the same genus as other true tuna. I remember seeing that somewhere. So it makes a lot of sense there would be a drastic difference in taste.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah there's a reason why seafood restaurants charge you $38 for Alaskan Halibut. They're paying these fishing companies a premium to guarantee that there's no more than 36 hours between the time the boat gets to the docks and the fish gets to the restaurant.

No, of course not.

I was saying you can google fresh tuna, and order it online, and most places offer it guaranteed fresh, with overnight shipping, and many times free shipping to boot. It took me 5 minutes to find. Most these places flash freeze, or keep it cold with dry ice, so it's going to be fresh.

Fresh Fish Shipped Overnight to Your Door | Free Overnight Shipping

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
No, of course not.

I was saying you can google fresh tuna, and order it online, and most places offer it guaranteed fresh, with overnight shipping, and many times free shipping to boot. It took me 5 minutes to find. Most these places flash freeze with dry ice, so it's going to be fresh.

Fresh Fish Shipped Overnight to Your Door | Free Overnight Shipping

If fish is frozen at all, I don't consider it fresh...

And that tuna is $35 a pound. The 5-6 oz. lobster tails are cheaper.

Again, it's an expensive fish. It's actually hard to find a MORE expensive fish. Making tuna salad out of "fresh" tuna would be one of those food crimes people beat you for.

It would be like grinding up filet mignon to make tacos.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
For the less expensive frozen tuna steaks, tuna burgers are really good too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well it calmed down in my area around midnight

Tact/Swat left gunshop at 11:15 and the police presence withered down thru night until final police vehicle left in morning

Been a line of people all morning since it opened which is not surprising

People are stocking up after witnessing all the rioting

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Your best bet is to find the local fish distributor that the restaurants buy from. This is what I do and the quality difference is worth it for a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad