OT: Anything Goes 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Thanks. And yeah, I've quit before, and cold turkey was the way to go. It's just a rough 3 or 4 days while the nicotine is flushed from your system. Once that's done, the physical cravings go away, and it all becomes reprogramming the mental triggers, like cigarettes after meals, with a drink, when you get in the car, etc. I've never had any luck with the whole minimizing myself slowly type of thing. Like... if I have cigs, I smoke them. I can't just go from twenty a day to five a day, or three a day. Just not how it works for me.

And then it'll just be a matter of never touching one again. I had quit for a year and a half before, then went through a divorce. The cigs didn't take long to come back during that whole ordeal.

The f***ing things should be banned.

Very good man, keep it going!

I quit smoking in December of 2011. Chantix did the trick for me. I've heard the physical addiction to nicotine lasts about 2 weeks. So once you hit that point, it's purely a mental battle from there onward. But the mental part is hard with smoking. There's so many triggers that smokers often have to light up, and you gotta break them at every point. For me they were largely after eating, stepping outside, especially getting in my car, and most of all, stress. If something stresses me out, be it at work or elsewhere, I always ran to light up a smoke. My former boss used to yell at me to go have a smoke when I get crabby.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Very good man, keep it going!

I quit smoking in December of 2011. Chantix did the trick for me. I've heard the physical addiction to nicotine lasts about 2 weeks. So once you hit that point, it's purely a mental battle from there onward. But the mental part is hard with smoking. There's so many triggers that smokers often have to light up, and you gotta break them at every point. For me they were largely after eating, stepping outside, especially getting in my car, and most of all, stress. If something stresses me out, be it at work or elsewhere, I always ran to light up a smoke. My former boss used to yell at me to go have a smoke when I get crabby.

Thanks!

The actual nicotine is out of your system in only 3-4 days. It's largely just a mental battle after that first 72 hours. Like you said, you have to break the mental triggers.

Good for you on quitting too. I know people who used Chantix, and others who had it and had wild ass vivid dreams, so gave up using it. Smoking is one of those things where everyone has something different work for them. Cold turkey has always been my preferred method. I'd rather just be done with nicotine instead of slowly feeding it to my body over longer periods of time.

Reactions: Sarava

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
All next week I have meetings every day in regards to the catholic grammar school football team I coach. Should be a blast have had no guidance or communication with the Powers to be. Also we will have no helmets to a week before they are to start the season due to the initial covid shutdown.
Nothing like having everything dropped in our lap and them saying hey figure it out.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I never understood picking up habits like smoking and always wonder what made people start. Glad people get off it but starting.....who wants to smell like ash and all the health risks? Especially now with the Covid around it is good to quit. Was it to be 'cool' or what?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I never understood picking up habits like smoking and always wonder what made people start. Glad people get off it but starting.....who wants to smell like ash and all the health risks? Especially now with the Covid around it is good to quit. Was it to be 'cool' or what?

Just one of those things. Start one day and a decade later your still doing it. Out of addiction, boredom or whatever reason.
I chew tobacco started randomly after college and have continued since.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@x Tame Impala I didn't want to continue in the AB thread.... but what kind of changes have you seen in clientele? The tips thing is super frustrating. We've been tipping significantly better and in times we wouldn't tip for our local spots. Places we wouldn't tip as in buying a 6 pack to go from a brewery where all they do is ring you up. Normally I wouldn't trip there, but since their restaurant sales are crippled I usually throw $2-3 to them now when I go into their shop or some beers.

@Hawksfly2gether you mind sharing (even privately if you prefer) which BBQ place you're at? My wife misses good BBQ back from the south. If this shit ever calms down I'll buy us some Old Styles and pizza from Grabowski's if you're up for it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@x Tame Impala I didn't want to continue in the AB thread.... but what kind of changes have you seen in clientele? The tips thing is super frustrating. We've been tipping significantly better and in times we wouldn't tip for our local spots. Places we wouldn't tip as in buying a 6 pack to go from a brewery where all they do is ring you up. Normally I wouldn't trip there, but since their restaurant sales are crippled I usually throw $2-3 to them now when I go into their shop or some beers.

@Hawksfly2gether you mind sharing (even privately if you prefer) which BBQ place you're at? My wife misses good BBQ back from the south. If this shit ever calms down I'll buy us some Old Styles and pizza from Grabowski's if you're up for it.

I’ll send you a PM

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Finally caved and bought a pair of MarsBlade O1 + boot. Looking forward to getting these bad boys. Hopefully the 10-15 business days for delivery is accurate

Reactions: Blue Liner

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO

I don’t mind sharing I recommend anyone stopping through Denver looking for some tasty meats come by. Smokin’ Yards is the name of the restaurant I’m at. Family and Colorado native owned. The original location is up in Idaho Springs. Awesome place to stop off on your way back from skiing or hiking.

Count me in for some beers and good chicago style pizza. Its been hard to find good thin crust out here.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t mind sharing I recommend anyone stopping through Denver looking for some tasty meats come by. Smokin’ Yards is the name of the restaurant I’m at. Family and Colorado native owned. The original location is up in Idaho Springs. Awesome place to stop off on your way back from skiing or hiking.

Count me in for some beers and good chicago style pizza. Its been hard to find good thin crust out here.

Awesome, good to know.

Have you been to Grabowski’s? It’s in The Source development in RiNo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad