OT: Anything Goes 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Well thank you. I actually appreciate that a lot.

But would it be unfair of me to in return say that many people are well aware of the inherent racism that goes into policing and a lot of the consequences arriving from it? This isn't the first black man flat-out killed by police due to an either mishandled situation or flat out evil racism. Most of the nation was behind the cause with George Floyd's death and had no issue with the protests. Now that message is being severely diluted by all of this behavior.

I don’t think that would be fair to say. WH national security advisor can’t even acknowledge it. People rush in here screaming #notallcops, which is completely obtuse.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

giphy.gif

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sitting in the living room with the windows open and Evergreen is tranquil. Haven’t heard sirens in at least an hour. I’ve long maintained this township had too many police with nothing to do. Watching police SUV’s drive down my street every twenty minutes or so is the first time I’ve considered that a good thing.

Hope everyone is somewhere safe during this insanity. I don’t engage in the politics as much as some of you do but I genuinely hope everyone on both sides of the aisle comes out of this alright. Love you guys. Be easy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I will say that using Snapchat maps to experience the insanity instead of established media channels has been an eye opening experience. You’re watching people livestream crimes. It actually encapsulates the total absurdity of the looting. These aren’t pissed off revolutionaries. It’s largely gleeful opportunists.

Which is what me, my brother, and a few others have been preaching, yet we get chastised for it, get told we're morally corrupt, are not sympathetic to the plights of POC, and so on and forth. Just like the assholes I heard earlier at the gas station screaming about going to loot the Walmart, and to call everyone they know. Car full of people screaming it in public. Yeah, it's nothing more than knowing they can steal and commit crimes, and largely get away with it. As you said, gleeful opportunists.

Stay safe, bro.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Which is what me, my brother, and a few others have been preaching, yet we get chastised for it, get told we're morally corrupt, are not sympathetic to the plights of POC, and so on and forth. Just like the assholes I heard earlier at the gas station screaming about going to loot the Walmart, and to call everyone they know. Car full of people screaming it in public. Yeah, it's nothing more than knowing they can steal and commit crimes, and largely get away with it. As you said, gleeful opportunists.

Stay safe, bro.
I wouldn’t and shouldn’t comment on my experience being taken as a definitive experience of the whole movement. But the people who grabbed everything they could from commercial businesses as places burned around down Brighton Park, Archer Heights and Chicago Heights?

It wasn’t a positive look. At all. Anecdotal for sure. But as somebody who regularly patronizes the local restaurants that so many people want to talk about on both sides? I’m genuinely concerned what will be left.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Facebook Poster said:
To the white people who feel compelled to qualify their statements of “support” this week with “I don’t condone violence, but...” or “I don’t condone looting, but...” or “I don’t condone [insert action by black people here], but...” Please stop. Stop. Ask yourself *why* you feel the need to qualify your support. Ask yourself *what* you’re actually saying when you do so.
Are you saying - I’m more respectable than these people?
Are you saying - I’m more rational than these people?
Are you saying - I’m more civilized than these people?
Your qualifiers are rooted in racism and respectability politics. Your desire to distance yourself from protesters and insurrectionists is rooted in racism and respectability politics. Do not tell black people how to behave. Do not tell black people how to grieve. Do not set yourself apart as someone morally or ethically superior because of your “restraint” when you haven’t been forced to watch your families, communities, siblings, lovers, parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins, peers, classmates, colleagues brutalized and degraded for generations. You are not more “restrained.” You are less traumatized. You are not more “civilized.” You are lucky.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.
This is what I mean when I say I neither condone nor condemn what's going on. It's not my place to judge oppressed people on how they react to trauma. I would go as far as to say having an opinion at all is probably too far.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This sums up my feelings pretty well.
This is what I mean when I say I neither condone nor condemn what's going on. It's not my place to judge oppressed people on how they react to trauma.
I work in archer heights/Brighton Park. My favorite place to get el pastor was tagged up, the door tried to be pried open and had a burned up parked car in the parking lot. This is a restaurant owned by people who speak English as a second language. It’s not just top 100 fortune companies feeling the pain of these riots/protests.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I work in archer heights/Brighton Park. My favorite place to get el pastor was tagged up, the door tried to be pried open and had a burned up parked car in the parking lot. This is a restaurant owned by people who speak English as a second language. It’s not just top 100 fortune companies feeling the pain of these riots/protests.
This kind of shit is what insurance is for.
If insurance companies are literally going to make excuses not to cover small businesses in through this.....then they're another part of the problem.

Small businesses will be fine. You'd have to be a pretty dumb business owner to not have stuff like this in your policy.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This kind of shit is what insurance is for.
If insurance companies are literally going to make excuses not to cover small businesses in through this.....then they're another part of the problem.
You’re talking about a taco stand that’s three hundred square feet big being attacked by cartel affiliated gangs because they saw an opportunity. Two six may have closed a place largely still in business because they have a sixty plus year old grandma in the kitchen. The food is mediocre when she’s not back there.

Reyes Grill on Kedzie is the same way. Amazing American food/Breakfast. I don’t know if Taqueria La Haciendita on 45th - my chillequillas spot - is still open after all this violence. You’re saying operations owned and run by the same POC you’re advocating for operating on razor thin margins should have budgeted for insurance. They’re not being bushwhacked by corporate America. It’s poor people taking advantage of poor people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad