OT: Anything Goes 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This kind of shit is what insurance is for.
If insurance companies are literally going to make excuses not to cover small businesses in through this.....then they're another part of the problem.

Small businesses will be fine. You'd have to be a pretty dumb business owner to not have stuff like this in your policy.

Holy shit man. Just stop already. These f***ing people DON'T CARE ABOUT GEORGE FLOYD. These are crimes of opportunity. They are using the legitimate protesters as a smokescreen to steal shit, and generally just behave like the pieces of shit they are. Nothing more. And to add to that, they are destroying the neighborhoods of the very people that the protests are fighting for. Every small business destroyed in a poor neighborhood is a huge setback. It's already almost impossible to get businesses to open up in poverty stricken neighborhoods. These business owners will probably take their insurance money, and leave. If people continue to destroy their own neighborhoods and drive off business, those neighborhoods will NEVER improve. It's a perpetual cycle of insanity. Not to mention, those business owners are your f***ing neighbors most of the time. You aren't "sticking it to the man". You're shooting yourself in the foot. Most of the people that these protests are targeted at are literally laughing at what's going on. They don't live in these neighborhoods, and they really don't give a shit if you burn it to the ground. Did you happen to notice where most of the focus was this evening, as far as police presence was concerned? It sure as hell wasn't the poor neighborhoods they were protecting.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This is why I'm glad I don't have social media.. people reporting fake bullshit about Lincoln Park Zoo being broken into and all the animals being stolen and released on the streets. I have 0 idea why people in the world find such pleasure in putting fake shit out there like that, especially when times are already difficult as it is.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Holy shit man. Just stop already. These f***ing people DON'T CARE ABOUT GEORGE FLOYD. These are crimes of opportunity. They are using the legitimate protesters as a smokescreen to steal shit, and generally just behave like the pieces of shit they are. Nothing more. And to add to that, they are destroying the neighborhoods of the very people that the protests are fighting for. Every small business destroyed in a poor neighborhood is a huge setback. It's already almost impossible to get businesses to open up in poverty stricken neighborhoods. These business owners will probably take their insurance money, and leave. If people continue to destroy their own neighborhoods and drive off business, those neighborhoods will NEVER improve. It's a perpetual cycle of insanity. Not to mention, those business owners are your f***ing neighbors most of the time. You aren't "sticking it to the man". You're shooting yourself in the foot. Most of the people that these protests are targeted at are literally laughing at what's going on. They don't live in these neighborhoods, and they really don't give a shit if you burn it to the ground. Did you happen to notice where most of the focus was this evening, as far as police presence was concerned? It sure as hell wasn't the poor neighborhoods they were protecting.
I respect your opinion, but let's agree to disagree... Are there some opportunists who dgaf about George Floyd? Absolutely. Ask yourselves why they're out there....they're there to incite the exact reaction that you're having....to distract from the outrage of a man being lynched by police officers. Again, it's not my place to judge. I've said multiple times that it's counterproductive. I can't read every person's mind and know their exact motive for being out there, and neither can you. There are people there who are trying to prevent looting, there are videos on social media showing so.

I suggest you read one of my earlier posts.
I support freedom of assembly.
I don't believe every cop is bad(far from it)
This will end eventually.
Do I wish that the protests were more constructive? Absolutely....but it's not my place to judge how people deal with centuries of trauma.

My attitude is that while I do believe that the looting and property destruction is counterproductive, I accept it as a legit form of protest. I don't have to necessarily agree with it, but I do accept it.

I like both you and your bro.....like I said I'm an unapologetic political lefty and it's ok to agree to disagree...I respect your opinion.

My opinion is that the value of property never exceeds that of human life, and that looting after an unjust murder is a legit form of protest that is symbolic in that way. I don't think it's a necessarily smart tactic in order to create the change we all want....but the people out there looting that do care about George Floyd are doing it because they're enraged and frustrated that black lives are valued less than property. It's acceptable because of the symbolism behind it, not the act itself.

Where I really disagree with you guys is acting like you're morally superior to those people when you don't deal with the bullshit that they do on a daily basis. Put yourself in their shoes...how'd you feel?
The American Revolution was founded over petty shit compared to this.

While there are legit intellectual arguments for why looting is counterproductive....realize that by judging people for doing it, you're perpetuating the injustices that you're out to change. Do you really want to change what's happening to POC or not?

In the grand scheme of things, creating change through peaceful protest is a lie. No real, lasting change has ever been accomplished without bloodshed. The goal is to minimize the loss of life and property during the process. Just realize that some of this is part of the process of creating lasting, permanent change in attitudes and behaviors.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I respect your opinion, but let's agree to disagree... Are there some opportunists who dgaf about George Floyd? Absolutely. Ask yourselves why they're out there....they're there to incite the exact reaction that you're having....to distract from the outrage of a man being lynched by police officers. Again, it's not my place to judge. I've said multiple times that it's counterproductive. I can't read every person's mind and know their exact motive for being out there, and neither can you. There are people there who are trying to prevent looting, there are videos on social media showing so.

I suggest you read one of my earlier posts.
I support freedom of assembly.
I don't believe every cop is bad(far from it)
This will end eventually.
Do I wish that the protests were more constructive? Absolutely....but it's not my place to judge how people deal with centuries of trauma.

My attitude is that while I do believe that the looting and property destruction is counterproductive, I accept it as a legit form of protest. I don't have to necessarily agree with it, but I do accept it.

I like both you and your bro.....like I said I'm an unapologetic political lefty and it's ok to agree to disagree...I respect your opinion.

My opinion is that the value of property never exceeds that of human life, and that looting after an unjust murder is a legit form of protest that is symbolic in that way. I don't think it's a necessarily smart tactic in order to create the change we all want....but the people out there looting that do care about George Floyd are doing it because they're enraged and frustrated that black lives are valued less than property. It's acceptable because of the symbolism behind it, not the act itself.

Where I really disagree with you guys is acting like you're morally superior to those people when you don't deal with the bullshit that they do on a daily basis. Put yourself in their shoes...how'd you feel?
The American Revolution was founded over petty shit compared to this.

While there are legit intellectual arguments for why looting is counterproductive....realize that by judging people for doing it, you're perpetuating the injustices that you're out to change. Do you really want to change what's happening to POC or not?

In the grand scheme of things, creating change through peaceful protest is a lie. No real, lasting change has ever been accomplished without bloodshed. The goal is to minimize the loss of life and property during the process. Just realize that some of this is part of the process of creating lasting, permanent change in attitudes and behaviors.

I don't even know wtf you are trying to say with the bolded. It makes absolutely no sense.

You realize a good number of the people rioting and looting...aren't even black, right? It completely invalidates your entire argument. They are criminals and anarchists. Nothing more.

Yeah, I'm done with this conversation. Rioting and looting and destroying YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD, accomplishes nothing.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Where did I ever say that? I don't think that the majority of the people themselves are bad, just that the bad cops have hijacked the culture to protect themselves. I don't know how many bad cops there are, but just one is one too many.

No one said that, it is just another strawman.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You realize a good number of the people rioting and looting...aren't even black, right? It completely invalidates your entire argument. They are criminals and anarchists. Nothing more.
Yes, absolutely....I know that the protests have been infiltrated by white supremacists in order to push an agenda....you're falling into their trap. I can't read anyone's mind. I'm taking a non-judgmental approach to it.

I don't judge the people that have joined spontaneously.
For those that have proven that they're part of Nazi sympathizing racist asshole groups, I feel comfortable condemning them.
For everyone else, I'm taking a neutral stance because I can't read their minds. I can only hope they're out there to protest injustice. It's not my place to judge.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't even know wtf you are trying to say with the bolded. It makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah, I'm done with this conversation. Rioting and looting and destroying YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD, accomplishes nothing.
The bolded statement is there to point out that instead of talking about the fact that a man was lynched, we're arguing about property damage instead. We're losing sight of what's actually important here...that a man's civil rights were violated. We should be talking about that, not property damage. Priorities. It doesn't matter what's happening, but it does matter why.

Intellectually, it's one of the ways that looting is counterproductive, as it distracts the public from having real conversations and creating real change. If you're as smart as you say you are, you should already know that. You're letting your emotions (having a lot of friends/family in law enforcement) cloud your judgment. It's hard to think rationally often, as humans are irrational creatures. We have to do the best we can.

There is nothing logical about random property destruction, but it's not my place to judge other people on how to cope with rage over centuries of injustice. I can only hope that people are out there to address injustice, and not to take advantage of the chaos. I cannot read people's minds.

It's no different than the people out there with torches and pitchforks in earlier centuries. Sometimes they burned shit down as well.

That's what I've been arguing all along. Arguing about property damage is just an excuse to not address the real problems in society.....and holy shit there are a lot of them.

Black Lives Matter.
on a larger scale...
People over Property
People over Profits

I agree with you guys on a lot of things.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No one in here has lost the plot. Feel free to climb down off the horse any time. :thumbu:
No dude....we have absolutely lost the plot, and he's not on his high horse at all.
The looting is just noise.
The bottom line is that George Floyd was lynched by bad cops in Minneapolis.....Nothing else matters.
I couldn't give a flying f*** about anything else. You shouldn't either. You're better than that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm well-aware. I'm not going to protests during a pandemic with a 3 1/2 week old infant at home.
Me neither and I don't expect anyone to do so, but there are other ways to promote change.....Deciding to go to the protests isn't for everyone. I can't do it because of my physical issues, but I choose to promote change in other ways. I truly wish I could be out there though, helping to keep people's eyes on what really matters.

I'm pretty politically active and though I can't run for office, I will gladly help promote those I agree with because getting the right people elected to office is how change happens.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yes, absolutely....I know that the protests have been infiltrated by white supremacists in order to push an agenda....you're falling into their trap. I can't read anyone's mind. I'm taking a non-judgmental approach
to it.

I don't judge the people that have joined spontaneously.
For those that have proven that they're part of Nazi sympathizing racist asshole groups, I feel comfortable condemning them.
For everyone else, I'm taking a neutral stance because I can't read their minds. I can only hope they're out there to protest injustice. It's not my place to judge.

So nazi spies are infiltrating protests and that's why riots happened?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What are you doing, then?
I'm politically active, I'm a member of a local, ethnically diverse organization that promotes politicians running for office that share my values. Getting people who share my values and respect human life elected to office is probably the best way to create change. I've been a member of this organization and a volunteer for campaigns since 2015.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's evidence that it happened in Minneapolis, and the governor had to hold a press conference about it Saturday.

If it happened there, it happened elsewhere.

You keep speaking of evidence, but have yet to share a link. Care to find it? I'm not being a dick, but I'd like to see it. I've heard of videos where they "believe someone is acting weird or suspicious" but I have yet to see any actual physical evidence... you can't really make wild statements like that, and not back it up with evidence. I mean... I view this no differently coming from a "self-proclaimed radical lefty" than Trump and his MAGA morons exclaiming Antifa is behind the rioting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->