OT: Anything Goes 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Champaign-Urbana now also under curfew.

My current neck of the woods in Bloomington-Normal seems pretty tame so far, thankfully.

Stay safe, everyone.

Reactions: Pez68

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
An M-80 (Or something) went off a minute ago

Now gunfire ringing out a couple blocks away

My dogs is going nuts and hiding under desk

The gunfire doesn't bother me to be honest as I am used to it ,, The asshole setting off M-80 or whatever that was on other annoys me

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
8 Police cars came surging to Chuck's and now have left back into Riverdale after all that gunfire

They have 2 cops cars sitting at store and I expect will be all night (Have had 1 sitting there all day with at times 2 since rioting began)

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh look. Several black police officers with their name and badge blacked out, as well....
Must be ready to commit some police brutality, and want to remain anonymous. :sarcasm:
Just because their black doesn't mean they can't act like dicks who aren't following proper protocols.

Not that that is necessarily the case, just that it's a possibility.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
OT question but how long you guys think it will take for businesses to re-open downtown after yesterday...curious if office jobs return to work downtown any time soon with covid and now this

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Imagine stereotyping an entire organization, of thousands of individuals, while simultaneously criticizing....stereotyping.

You realize half of CPD is....people of color?
Race of the police has nothing to do with it. White black, brown, yellow, when you're a member of the police force you're baptiszed into the culture.

Roughly half of surveyed police officers said they witnesses another officer commit an act of misconduct and did nothing about it...

Police Code of Silence Facts Revealed

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
OT question but how long you guys think it will take for businesses to re-open downtown after yesterday
Depends on the business and the location.

I could see this starting to die down tomorrow when the weekend is over and people have to start going back to work. Still will have some chaos and destruction, but depending on how big the dropoff is compared to yesterday and today can be a big difference maker.

If things die down outside of a few cases here and there, and a particular business didn't get hit, I'd say maybe Wednesday and they'd just monitor the situation a bit and adjust with what the climate is like leading into next weekend.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I could see this starting to die down tomorrow when the weekend is over and people have to start going back to work. Still will have some chaos and destruction, but depending on how big the dropoff is compared to yesterday and today can be a big difference maker.

If things die down outside of a few cases here and there, and a particular business didn't get hit, I'd say maybe Wednesday and they'd just monitor the situation a bit and adjust with what the climate is like leading into next weekend.

Over 130 businesses were damaged last night just on mag mile. It might be a while, depending on how bad the damage is. Some of these small businesses in the poorer neighborhoods may just say f*** it.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Over 130 businesses were damaged last night just on mag mile. It might be a while, depending on how bad the damage is. Some of these small businesses in the poorer neighborhoods may just say f*** it.
I was meaning more downtown area, but hadn't heard that number for the mag mile. So maybe most of the city starts cleanup over the next few days and then decide how to proceed.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Man they had a grocery store and a target two blocks down on fire and they didn’t stop. Worked right through today. Railroad doesn’t close.

Fair enough. Heh.

The unbelievable irony in watching the looters and rioters destroying small businesses in predominantly black neighborhoods, supposedly to protest the death of a black man, is absolutely ridiculous. Completely defies logic.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Oh look. Several black police officers with their name and badge blacked out, as well....
Must be ready to commit some police brutality, and want to remain anonymous. :sarcasm:
All you need to do is a basic search to see dozens of cases of police abusing peaceful protestors in the past couple days.

Yes, that does not excuse looting. But the trigger for all this was the police behavior. If they could just do their jobs without murdering peolee none of this would be happening.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

I'm curious about the loop...so much damage...how long will it take to restore stores, bars, restaurants, bank buildings, etc...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm curious about the loop...so much damage...how long will it take to restore stores, bars, restaurants, bank buildings, etc...
Restaurants don't have too much of a struggle provided they weren't set a blaze and/or had their fridge jacked. What with covid keeping most of those places as carryout/delivery services, you could just board up some windows, restock your shelves and try to get the word out that you are open.

Stores will need to clean up what could be a big mess, and hope they can restock up, though I can see a lot of companies holding out on sending inventory to stores for another week or two so they aren't targeted by looters again next weekend.

Banks, I have no f***ing idea. Money is kept in a safe, but I don't have the faintest idea of what protocols need to be in place before a bank can re-open.

Will certainly be an interesting week, though you could say that about pretty much every week so far in 2020.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
All you need to do is a basic search to see dozens of cases of police abusing peaceful protestors in the past couple days.

Yes, that does not excuse looting. But the trigger for all this was the police behavior. If they could just do their jobs without murdering peolee none of this would be happening.

Serious question here. When does this nonsense stop(rioting and looting)? Black men are going to continue to die to white cops. Sometimes justified, sometimes not. When do we stop protesting, looting, and rioting? The guy has been arrested and charged with murder. We just burn shit down anytime it happens? Even if the perpetrator is brought to justice? How do you know when "necessary change" happens in the police force? How do you know the problems have been resolved?

Do you know any police officers? Talk to any? Do you have any idea how much things have changed in the last several years? Change takes time, and even once things are much improved, there will STILL be scumbag cops. So, when are we satisfied?

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagoskycam

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont know who it is but there is some sorta swat/tactical unit now at Chuck's

A black heavy duty pickup truck with a large metal back end (I assume Armored)

Several guys full tactical gear and rifles are walking around outside

Also now several marked cars with lights flashing

Several Dolton police units just went flying past somewhere in hurry as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad