OT: Anything Goes 35 - Tony O Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Ignoring all the good that Pace has done, and saying fire him due to a "possible" mistake in drafting Mitch, when 90% of NFL organizations make mistakes drafting the QB position... is a hot take, not an unpopular opinion.

The guy has built a phenomenal roster, and done very well in the draft, overall, but firing him over one of the biggest crapshoot positions to draft in all of professional sports? Come on.
It might be one of the biggest crapshoot positions in all of sports but it is also the most important position in sports. You pretty much can't win without at least a tier 2 QB. I don't think it's a possible mistake, it's a mistake. I've seen enough. I won't deny that Pace has done really well with the rest of the roster. To be truthful, I waffle about whether or not he should get another chance at QB, but I lean towards no.

If Pace didn't trade half of their 2017 and 2018 drafts for Trubisky, then I'd be more forgiving. He absolutely had to draft Trubisky, and he thought he was that much better than Watson and Mahomes that he gave up half of 2 drafts to get him when the opposite was the case. The Trubisky pick was such a colossal f*** up that he shouldn't get a chance to redeem himself. He made his bed, he should sleep in it. You can't mess up that badly, in that draft at the QB position and recover.

If we're going to discuss further, why don't we take it to the Bears thread.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It might be one of the biggest crapshoot positions in all of sports but it is also the most important position in sports. You pretty much can't win without at least a tier 2 QB. I don't think it's a possible mistake, it's a mistake. I've seen enough. I won't deny that Pace has done really well with the rest of the roster. To be truthful, I waffle about whether or not he should get another chance at QB, but I lean towards no.

If Pace didn't trade half of their 2017 and 2018 drafts for Trubisky, then I'd be more forgiving. He absolutely had to draft Trubisky, and he thought he was that much better than Watson and Mahomes that he gave up half of 2 drafts to get him when the opposite was the case. The Trubisky pick was such a colossal **** up that he shouldn't get a chance to redeem himself. He made his bed, he should sleep in it. You can't mess up that badly, in that draft at the QB position and recover.

What are you talking about? The last game he played, you talked about how great he was. Then he plays like 5 snaps before getting hurt, and you've "seen enough"??? This is the type of hot take ridiculousness people are telling you about... That line of thinking makes absolutely zero sense.

As far as trading half of their 17 and 18 drafts... what? He traded one draft pick in the 2018 draft. Everything he traded was in the 2017 draft, basically, and it was a third and fourth rounder in 2017... They had 7 picks in the 2018 draft. They lost their third, but picked up another 2nd to replace it...

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What are you talking about? The last game he played, you talked about how great he was. Then he plays like 5 snaps before getting hurt, and you've "seen enough"??? This is the type of hot take ridiculousness people are telling you about... That line of thinking makes absolutely zero sense.

As far as trading half of their 17 and 18 drafts... what? He traded one draft pick in the 2018 draft. Everything he traded was in the 2017 draft, basically, and it was a third and fourth rounder in 2017... They had 7 picks in the 2018 draft. They lost their third, but picked up another 2nd...
There are a lot of chain reaction draft trades that he's made simply because of that and the Mack trade. Mack trade is fine.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are a lot of chain reaction draft trades that he's made simply because of that and the Mack trade. Mack trade is fine.

This has nothing to do with what you're saying about them trading away half their picks in the 17 and 18 draft for Mitch, which is just false. They lost two picks in 2017. They lost one pick in 2018, but replaced that lost 3rd with a 2nd... How are 2 picks in one draft, and 1 pick in another draft... half their drafts? Especially when in 2018, it was a net loss of... zero picks.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I feel like I left this place for a few days and the whole thing blew up. Was Friday's game THAT bad that everyone is all pissed off now?

Anyways. Crossed PPG Paints Arena off my list this weekend. Unfortunately the Pens murdered the BJs. Everyone there was REALLY nice though. Not what I expected at all. And we were even in Blue Jackets hear. Hats off to Pitt, on Saturday at least. Didn't have any time to explore the city.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state to drive through though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This has nothing to do with what you're saying about them trading away half their picks in the 17 and 18 draft for Mitch, which is just false. They lost two picks in 2017. They lost one pick in 2018, but replaced that lost 3rd with a 2nd... How are 2 picks in one draft, and 1 pick in another draft... half their drafts? Especially when in 2018, it was a net loss of... zero picks.
This past season and next year is where the brunt of the draft hit from the Trubisky/Mack deals will take place.
They had 5 picks this year, and they have 5 next year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This past season and next year is where the brunt of the draft hit from the Trubisky/Mack deals will take place.
They had 5 picks this year, and they have 5 next year.

Stop trying to obfuscate.

You said they lost half their 2017 and 2018 draft picks. I showed that to be false. Now you've changed the subject to last year and this year being the years where the brunt of the Mitch and Mack trades will hit the draft... when that's also wrong, and for one year, still an unknown.

2017 - 5 picks (missing 2)
2018 - 7 picks (missing 0)
2019 - 5 picks (missing 2)
2020 - 6 picks (missing 1)

So you said that they lost half their 17 and 18 draft picks due to Mitch. Which is blatantly wrong. As they picked 12 out of a 14 possible picks. Then you tried to exaggerate that they will see a hit last year and this year due to the Mack trade. Last year they had 5 picks, and only lost 2. This year they have 6 picks, and are only missing 1, which they can still potentially replace.

In the 4 years you're claiming for them to have suffered due to the Mitch trade and Mack trade, they'll have picked 23 of a possible 28 picks...

Your claims are just false.

Mods, feel free to move this discussion to the Bears thread. @OhCaptainMyCaptain

Last edited:

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Speaking of movies, do we have any Breaking Bad fans in here? Excited for El Camino this week?
Hard for me to imagine anybody watching Breaking Bad and not being a fan. Certainly would be in my top 10 ever list. With BB being so good (IMO), I just don't see how El Camino can be anywhere as good. Still excited tho'.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I feel like I left this place for a few days and the whole thing blew up. Was Friday's game THAT bad that everyone is all pissed off now?

Anyways. Crossed PPG Paints Arena off my list this weekend. Unfortunately the Pens murdered the BJs. Everyone there was REALLY nice though. Not what I expected at all. And we were even in Blue Jackets hear. Hats off to Pitt, on Saturday at least. Didn't have any time to explore the city.

Meh. As James Carville famously said (paraphrasing) take out Philly and Pittsburgh and you're left with Alabama.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm trying to figure out why tf I've gone off the rails lately. I used to be a pretty rational poster now everyone thinks I'm nuts. What happened?
I've almost gotten to the point where I feel like I have damaged my reputation as a poster both here and at SoxTalk so badly that it isn't worth posting anymore.

Most people here are very optimistic about everything that happens with the team no matter if there is reason to be or not. If you want to be the most liked and care about your reputation, keep it positive. You were doing that until recently.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Most people here are very optimistic about everything that happens with the team no matter if there is reason to be or not. If you want to be the most liked and care about your reputation, keep it positive. You were doing that until recently.

I'd call BS on this. Plenty of us post both negative and positive things, and despite being optimistic, we also know when things aren't going well, and/or there are issues with something that need to be fixed. His posts being challenged so much lately have nothing to do with positivity. It has to do with jumping from one extreme to the other in very short time periods, and going off the rails with his viewpoint changing for seemingly no reason.

Hyping Nylander all offseason, and preaching his talent and potential, then after one game stating that he doesn't think Nylander is a fit, even though Nylander had a solid game, is just one example. And there are many more that I could go find. If it were just one or two people that were challenging his posts in this way, I'd say you had more potential for your reasoning to be accurate, but it's basically everyone on here calling him out...

And as I told KBS, I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm trying to help him figure it out.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

You should have stopped at the overlook on Mt. Washington if you had limited time. It only takes a half hour and you have a nice view of the entire city. But as long as you entered the city through the Fort Pitt tunnels you get the effect.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd call BS on this. Plenty of us post both negative and positive things, and despite being optimistic, we also know when things aren't going well, and/or there are issues with something that need to be fixed. His posts being challenged so much lately have nothing to do with positivity. It has to do with jumping from one extreme to the other in very short time periods, and going off the rails with his viewpoint changing for seemingly no reason.

Hyping Nylander all offseason, and preaching his talent and potential, then after one game stating that he doesn't think Nylander is a fit, even though Nylander had a solid game, is just one example. And there are many more that I could go find. If it were just one or two people that were challenging his posts in this way, I'd say you had more potential for your reasoning to be accurate, but it's basically everyone on here calling him out...

And as I told KBS, I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm trying to help him figure it out.

Well, he seems to want to know how to be the most liked so I gave him advice I believe will work.

As for the flip flopping and overly reactionary posts, I don’t disagree. He did go from one side to the other side quickly. There is a middle ground of being objective, but those people take flack for being critical too. That’s part of the deal.

So yeah, KBS, nobody should be posting hot takes right now. Same with over the summer with regards to the teams chances. We need some hard data here, not one game and the preseason.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I am. I'm generally anti reboots or spin offs, but Better Call Saul has alleviated those concerns. I think it will be good.

My thoughts as well. Well, I'm not totally anti-reboots / spin-offs, but it depends on what is being done. I thought a spin-off movie for this seemed odd, but like you said, I felt the same way about Better Call Saul as well, and that turned out very well. I am pretty confident that, at worst, the movie will be enjoyable. Even if it's not epic, it'll still be worth the watch.

Huge BB fan. Looking for to El Camino.

Can't wait myself! Netflix actually has a lot of very interesting material coming out these next few months.

Hard for me to imagine anybody watching Breaking Bad and not being a fan. Certainly would be in my top 10 ever list. With BB being so good (IMO), I just don't see how El Camino can be anywhere as good. Still excited tho'.

I think Breaking Bad is still my top TV series ever. So good.

But yeah, I don't expect the movie to be "as good." BUT, that doesn't mean it still can't be really good. Really interested to see where they are going with it. I love how little they've given away.

Reactions: plasmonresonance

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
My thoughts as well. Well, I'm not totally anti-reboots / spin-offs, but it depends on what is being done. I thought a spin-off movie for this seemed odd, but like you said, I felt the same way about Better Call Saul as well, and that turned out very well. I am pretty confident that, at worst, the movie will be enjoyable. Even if it's not epic, it'll still be worth the watch.

Can't wait myself! Netflix actually has a lot of very interesting material coming out these next few months.

I think Breaking Bad is still my top TV series ever. So good.

But yeah, I don't expect the movie to be "as good." BUT, that doesn't mean it still can't be really good. Really interested to see where they are going with it. I love how little they've given away.

Absolutely, that and the Sopranos are the two top shows of all time.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Absolutely, that and the Sopranos are the two top shows of all time.

Still need to watch that. So many TV shows I need to watch, actually. I'm pretty good at keeping up with movies, but not with TV shows. That makes sense considering TV shows take more of a commitment, but it's also awesome when you get fully invested in a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille