OT: Anything Goes 35 - Tony O Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm trying to figure out why tf I've gone off the rails lately. I used to be a pretty rational poster now everyone thinks I'm nuts. What happened?
I've almost gotten to the point where I feel like I have damaged my reputation as a poster both here and at SoxTalk so badly that it isn't worth posting anymore.

You started posting brutal hot takes that you did not think through and then compounded the issue by doubling down.

It is still worth posting but just think shit through.

I once said that I thought AA could fix his face-off issues in an offseason and then doubled down for a bit....not good.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not interested in seeing Joker, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's all kinds of ridiculous to say that it must be bad if you don't want to see it.

Hell, the 21 and 22 Jump Street movies looked dumb as all hell, but those were both surprisingly hilarious. Lack of personal initial, or eternal, interest doesn't mean something is bad.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm trying to figure out why tf I've gone off the rails lately. I used to be a pretty rational poster now everyone thinks I'm nuts. What happened?

We've told you. You're literally flip-flopping back and forth on stances every single time one thing changes, and taking that to the extreme of extremes.

Mitch has a bad game. He sucks, they need to draft a new QB, fire Pace and Nagy. He has a good game, and your stance completely flips on him and he's great.
Bears don't absolutely dominate a game, fire Pace and Nagy, and ignore all the good they have done, and ignore how dominant this team is, with the exception of QB play, and all the outstanding players Pace has brought in. I mean... the Mack trade, alone, would buy Pace another year or two, for me.

Hawks have a bad preseason game. Fire JC and Bowman. Then they play a good game, and your stance flips. Or like with the Nylander thing, now. Nylander has looked good, but the Hawks D corps. has looked bad, so the trade was a loss, and Bowman should be fired, because they could have used Joker. Nevermind that their middle pairing missed the game... forcing two AHL D into the lineup.

When you change stances at the drop of a hat, based on very, very, very tiny sample sizes, it makes you look like you have no clue what you're talking about, and you're just going with whatever is the flavor of the day as far as what other people think about something.

The hot takes I've pointed out above, and then doubling down, tripling down, etc. are not a good look... like ever. Neither is flip-flopping your stance after every game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I post what I post..sorry for my fat fingers trying to hit small letters on a smartphone keyboard...I know typis are annoying..I will try to be more onservantvand correct typing errors..But as to content ..I believe I make some valid points..

So today ..I gove you a valuable movie critique that could save you from wasting good money ...this is not my review but rather that of Lionel of Lionel Nation which you can find on YouTube..

He states in the header for his clip on this topic of the "Joker" movie thusly:

'Joker' - Hands down the worst movie on the Pantheon of Imbecilic,Insipid,Hyped ,Base ,Pointless.

....then he goes on to add:"the worst movie ever"...

He also said Jacquin Phoenix is nothing special in acting the character of the Joker ...that Jim Carry half-asleep could do better...that Phoenix was better in the Johnny Cash movie ...

I think the implication is that Hollywoidviscputtong on another con job to extract money to watch a bad movie by hyping it to be something great...be careful of hpur hard earned money and do not fall into their trap.

I was intending to go see it..but I trust a lot of the things Lionel brings forth in his commentary on news and culture
...do notvahree with everything ...but with quite a lit of his views.so I will a oid this Hollywod re-take version quadrillion of anothervploy to extract mucho dinero from a gullible public.

I suppose there may be some who like the movie ...but maybe their taste is on their tucchus as the old yiddish saying goes..

Of course Hollywoid trying to make big doughaboutca film that humanizes a killer and is supposed to exonerate his crimes because he was given so many hard knocks in life thatvhevjustvhad torture bad is typical Holkywood insanity.

Next we will see a humanization story on Hitler...waitca minute...theyvalready didvthat on t.v. in Preacher ..bit that was at least a Parody of the absurd...so it was funny and ok in the context..but seriously trying to humanize and explain away bad killers with some validcexcise then trying to get suckersvto pay hefty procrsctongo see it in theaters notto mention the corporate brand placements they put into their movies to make even more bucks off the stickers falki g over to buy products or services from those companies...it fiscal part of not ART but rather the Hollywood Greed Machine.

If you have gone to see the movie and loved it...maybe you are easily manipulated by propaganda and fake news too..maybe your mond has been bended by the pressures of a fake consensus and so you must conform to the accepted script they designed to getvyouvto believe "all critics agree" and that "the buzz" is that Phoenix will be up for an Oscar he is asogreat in this movie...or that they quite some (paid off?) movie critics who give it 5 stars...or that the movie has brought on serval hundred million or over a billion worldwide already in the first weekend ..so it must be a great movie "you must see"...so that all the hype must be true..and that you are nobody with your peers and friends unless you too have gone to see it and parroted back the consensus supposed to agree view...and if you hated it or thought it was not upto the heights of the hype,then

1.Hollywood does not care...they have already extracted money from your wallet...

And

2.You have come away from the film with a cognitive dissonance ...that is:

"There must be something wrong with me... because this movie was supposedly applauded so widely on all the Pre-release blogs ...by all the sneak peek reports,by all the ads...They mustvhavevitvroght...My opinion must be in error...something is wrong with me!

In this result ...You get the double whammy of monetary loss for a waste of time plus a dose of self-doubt about your sanity.

Hollywood gets enriched because you were a sucker for going to see their hyped nothingburger,and they laugh at your gullibility to buy into their hype.

"thatvhevjustvhad torture bad is typical Holkywood insanity" this is not fat fingers, it is no fingers and face rolling on your keyboard.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not interested in seeing Joker, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's all kinds of ridiculous to say that it must be bad if you don't want to see it.

Hell, the 21 and 22 Jump Street movies looked dumb as all hell, but those were both surprisingly hilarious. Lack of personal initial, or eternal, interest doesn't mean something is bad.

The scene where Channing Tatum slowly figured out his partner was sleeping with the captain's daughter was really funny.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Loved both of those movies. Hilarious.

Reactions: BK

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We've told you. You're literally flip-flopping back and forth on stances every single time one thing changes, and taking that to the extreme of extremes.

Mitch has a bad game. He sucks, they need to draft a new QB, fire Pace and Nagy. He has a good game, and your stance completely flips on him and he's great.
Bears don't absolutely dominate a game, fire Pace and Nagy, and ignore all the good they have done, and ignore how dominant this team is, with the exception of QB play, and all the outstanding players Pace has brought in. I mean... the Mack trade, alone, would buy Pace another year or two, for me.

Hawks have a bad preseason game. Fire JC and Bowman. Then they play a good game, and your stance flips. Or like with the Nylander thing, now. Nylander has looked good, but the Hawks D corps. has looked bad, so the trade was a loss, and Bowman should be fired, because they could have used Joker. Nevermind that their middle pairing missed the game... forcing two AHL D into the lineup.

When you change stances at the drop of a hat, based on very, very, very tiny sample sizes, it makes you look like you have no clue what you're talking about, and you're just going with whatever is the flavor of the day as far as what other people think about something.

The hot takes I've pointed out above, and then doubling down, tripling down, etc. are not a good look... like ever. Neither is flip-flopping your stance after every game.
I never said Bowman should be fired. I never said JC should either. I said that I'm starting to question his D coverage system and to talk to me at Thanksgiving and Christmas? What's so controversial about that? Don't put words into my mouth.

With the Bears I guess it's just that I'm disappointed in the fact that they failed at QB again.

With the Sox I'm just classically conditioned that Murphy was an optimist. Whenever things look good, things are about to go wrong worse than you could have possibly imagined. Like the Indians playing at an .800 clip for 2 months when you have a 15 game lead.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I never said Bowman should be fired. I never said JC should either. I said that I'm starting to question his D coverage system and to talk to me at Thanksgiving and Christmas? What's so controversial about that?
With the Bears I guess it's just that I'm disappointed in the fact that they failed at QB again.

That is not really what you have said. You have called for everyones head lately it seems.

Patience is a virtue for a reason.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That is not really what you have said. You have called for everyones head lately it seems.

Patience is a virtue for a reason.
I think with Bowman/JC that quote was misunderstood. I was asking whether or not Management would put up with the continued failures in D coverage, and I also was wondering how long of a leash Bowman had from Rocky and McCub. I don't think JC should be fired yet, but talk to me in December. I don't think Bowman should be fired at all, but idk what Upper Management thinks. I think Bowman has done a pretty good job since Q got whacked.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I never said Bowman should be fired. I never said JC should either. I said that I'm starting to question his D coverage system and to talk to me at Thanksgiving and Christmas? What's so controversial about that? Don't put words into my mouth.

With the Sox I'm just classically conditioned that Murphy was an optimist. Whenever things look good, things are about to go wrong worse than you could have possibly imagined.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm just showing you the types of things you're saying. Not necessarily exact quotes, but this is the type of stuff you're posting. You're jumping from one extreme to the other after single games... It's never a good look.

As far as the Bears, you have no idea if they failed at QB yet, or not. Mitch had one bad game against GB, after not having any reps in preseason, so it was essentially a preseason game, and Rodgers looked just as horrible. Then he played a tough defensive team IN Denver, which is somewhere very few teams can actually go into and win... Then he had a good game against Washington. Then he didn't play.

As far as the Sox, you were insane with the hot takes earlier in the year. Moncada is a bust... after a very small sample size of bad games... then you're back on his bandwagon when he starts playing well again, after people told you to relax, and just let things play out.

I'm just telling you what other people are seeing from you lately. Not trying to be a dick. You asked, and I'm telling you.

There's a saying... don't ask questions you don't want answers to.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm just showing you the types of things you're saying. Not necessarily exact quotes, but this is the type of stuff you're posting. You're jumping from one extreme to the other after single games... It's never a good look.

As far as the Bears, you have no idea if they failed at QB yet, or not. Mitch had one bad game against GB, after not having any reps in preseason, so it was essentially a preseason game, and Rodgers looked just as horrible. Then he played a tough defensive team IN Denver, which is somewhere very few teams can actually go into and win... Then he had a good game against Washington. Then he didn't play.

As far as the Sox, you were insane with the hot takes earlier in the year. Moncada is a bust... after a very small sample size of bad games... then you're back on his bandwagon when he starts playing well again, after people told you to relax, and just let things play out.

I'm just telling you what other people are seeing from you lately. Not trying to be a dick. You asked, and I'm telling you.

There's a saying... don't ask questions you don't want answers to.

That was an intentionally misleading post by Josh Nelson that you had to look further into in order to get proper context. If you took it at face value(which I did initially) it looked worse than it actually was. I actually did look into it later and corrected myself and said that it was misleading.

When I (supposedly) called for Bowman and JC's head in the gamethread Friday it wasn't me calling for their heads, it was me wondering how long of a leash they had from management. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's worth continuing to post here or elsewhere.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That was an intentionally misleading post by Josh Nelson that you had to look further into in order to get proper context. If you took it at face value(which I did initially) it looked worse than it actually was. I actually did look into it later and corrected myself and said that it was misleading.

When I (supposedly) called for Bowman and JC's head in the gamethread Friday it wasn't me calling for their heads, it was me wondering how long of a leash they had from management. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You can't call for someone's head and use language that implies that, then expect people to think it means something entirely different. Just explain yourself better, and don't jump to conclusions that quickly, and you'd be fine.

We've met, and talked in person, so I want you to know I'm not being a dick. I'm just pointing out to you what people are seeing, and why you seem to catch some flak these days when you post. You're taking things to the extreme(very BWC-esque) and not leaving anything in the middle. It's just one extreme or the other, with some very hot takes thrown in there.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I've almost gotten to the point where I feel like I have damaged my reputation as a poster both here and at SoxTalk so badly that it isn't worth posting anymore.

You talked up Nylander all summer and then you decide to bump a thread from July that goes against everything you've been hyping for months.

You've been going out of your own way to contradict yourself. I don't think you should stop posting and your rep isn't tarnished but dial it back on one extreme to the next.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You can't call for someone's head and use language that implies that, then expect people to think it means something entirely different. Just explain yourself better, and don't jump to conclusions that quickly, and you'd be fine.

We've met, and talked in person, so I want you to know I'm not being a dick. I'm just pointing out to you what people are seeing, and why you seem to catch some flak these days when you post. You're taking things to the extreme(very BWC-esque) and not leaving anything in the middle. It's just one extreme or the other, with some very hot takes mixed in.
I appreciate it really. I don't think you're being a dick or anything. I'm just fairly concerned about my reputation as a poster. Not that it should matter really, but I don't feel comfortable posting here if people don't respect my opinion or POV.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You talked up Nylander all summer and then you decide to bump a thread from July that goes against everything you've been hyping for months.

You've been going out of your own way to contradict yourself. I don't think you should stop posting and your rep isn't tarnished but dial it back on one extreme to the next.
Sometimes you don't know how it works or doesn't until you see the games.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Only saying this because you asked.

I certainly don't document everything you or anyone says, and I'm sure I haven't read every post. But it does seem to me that you are very hyperbolic and throw out some things that really don't hold up when scrutinized.

The 1st example that jumps to mind is that is when you said something about how the NFL is going to revert to how it was in the 1980s in terms of run/pass play calling. I believe you're point was that there are a lot of bad QBs, and that teams would start running the ball more. Had you said that, without adding the 1980s thing, I'd say that's a reasonable opinion, even if I might not agree. I feel like that's indicative of your posting.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I appreciate it really. I don't think you're being a dick or anything. I'm just fairly concerned about my reputation as a poster. Not that it should matter really, but I don't feel comfortable posting here if people don't respect my opinion or POV.

Nah, not the case at all. I think as long as you slow down a bit, think about what you're saying, then respond, you'll be back to how you were before. The biggest issue I've seen people have is your jumping from one extreme to the other recently(with hot takes), without slowing down and thinking about what you're saying, first. Then you have to try and back-track and explain yourself better. Just slow down, and explain what you mean from the beginning. And stay away from the extremes at either end of the spectrum. @Styles had a very good example. You hyped up Nylander all summer, then one game happens, and the D is bad, so you think it was a terrible trade. That kinda stuff just makes you look like clown shoes.

I do the same thing sometimes. I say things in the heat of the moment, then slow down, think about it, and end up going back to edit posts a lot, because of it. It's something I also need to work on. Just trying to help ya out. :thumbu:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I'm not a comic book movie person, but Joker is one of the few I'll see eventually. Seems interesting.

21 Jump Street was one of those movies that when I heard they were making it, I thought, this is going to be so terrible, but was actually really funny. I remember liking the 2nd one a bit less.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nah, not the case at all. I think as long as you slow down a bit, think about what you're saying, then respond, you'll be back to how you were before. The biggest issue I've seen people have is your jumping from one extreme to the other recently(with hot takes), without slowing down and thinking about what you're saying, first. Then you have to try and back-track and explain yourself better. Just slow down, and explain what you mean from the beginning. And stay away from the extremes at either end of the spectrum.

I do the same thing sometimes. I say things in the heat of the moment, then slow down, think about it, and end up going back to edit posts a lot, because of it. It's something I also need to work on. Just trying to help ya out. :thumbu:
I don't necessarily think that unpopular opinions=hot takes. What's the difference? I'm failing to see that here.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't necessarily think that unpopular opinions=hot takes. What's the difference? I'm failing to see that here.

Ignoring all the good that Pace has done, and saying fire him due to a "possible" mistake in drafting Mitch, when 90% of NFL organizations make mistakes drafting the QB position... is a hot take, not an unpopular opinion.

The guy has built a phenomenal roster, and done very well in the draft, overall, but firing him over one of the biggest crapshoot positions to draft in all of professional sports? Come on.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm not a comic book movie person, but Joker is one of the few I'll see eventually. Seems interesting.
I'm not either, and I think that's part of why I liked it so much. It doesn't feel like a comic book movie, and there's no long drawn out action scenes that bore me to death during nearly every MCU film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad