OT: Anything Goes 35 - Tony O Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Holy shit.... a closing just got cancelled with an affiliate office of our's due to a buyer getting hacked wire instructions and sending their funds into a fraudulent account. That's just terrifying and I can't remember the last time I heard that happening with my company.

Friendly reminder, never trust emailed wire instructions and always, always, always verbally confirm wire instructions with a title company or lender if you ever need to wire in funds for a closing.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Holy ****.... a closing just got cancelled with an affiliate office of our's due to a buyer getting hacked wire instructions and sending their funds into a fraudulent account. That's just terrifying and I can't remember the last time I heard that happening with my company.

Friendly reminder, never trust emailed wire instructions and always, always, always verbally confirm wire instructions with a title company or lender if you ever need to wire in funds for a closing.

My banker told of a client whom that happened to around a year ago. And unfortunately (but understandably), the bank wouldn't cover it because it sent the wire accurately per the instructions of the client. I don't know how it was resolved, but it's a horrible situation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not sure. I would imagine that federal wire fraud charges would get filed and hopefully some kind of FDIC protection would be provided, but I'd think that it'd be a long while at least before they get their money back.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Looks like there was a shooting at River Oaks Mall. My dad was in the area (thank god he's alright) but supposedly 2 people were killed (male and female).

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Anybody out there really advanced with microsoft excel? Like VBA, macros, all that stuff. If so, how did you learn those things? Self taught, take a class, youtube videos, websites?

I'm basically self taught and pretty proficient with most formulas and designing a spreadsheet, but I've been starting to try and get into VBAs and macros a bit. The more I learn the more I see how much more excel is capable of that I'm not utilizing.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just watched two people with ten plus years time in piss away 80k+ jobs with full benefits because of a fist fight over a $5 game of Spades.

Meanwhile, the most exciting work outbreak at my company is including the line "per my last email" in a email response to someone that didn't fully read the previous email.

That's the old white collar F U statement.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Anybody out there really advanced with microsoft excel? Like VBA, macros, all that stuff. If so, how did you learn those things? Self taught, take a class, youtube videos, websites?

I'm basically self taught and pretty proficient with most formulas and designing a spreadsheet, but I've been starting to try and get into VBAs and macros a bit. The more I learn the more I see how much more excel is capable of that I'm not utilizing.

Take a class to get the basics, but then you have to do it a lot or it won’t sink in.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Take a class to get the basics, but then you have to do it a lot or it won’t sink in.

Yeah. So far I've done a bunch of youtube vidoes where they walk you through some pretty basic vba stuff. It seems pretty easy to follow when you watch them and they walk you through sample sheets. But now I'm trying to do my first big (for me) one at work and it's been pretty tedious. But that's how you learn.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Meanwhile, the most exciting work outbreak at my company is including the line "per my last email" in a email response to someone that didn't fully read the previous email.

That's the old white collar F U statement.

Or the "hey no rush, but I was just curious where you were at with this.."

AKA - What the f*** is taking you so long?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Find someone at work willing to help you learn how to do it in a context you’ll actually use.

Tutorials can be useless if the data you’re using is in a different setting/format that you don’t know what to do.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Find someone at work willing to help you learn how to do it in a context you’ll actually use.

I'm basically the excel expert where I'm at currently and I'm going to be looking to find new work soon. It's a non for profit and I wouldn't call us cutting edge in terms of technology.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I <3 excel. Best way to to do it is learn the basics then slowly add on new new skills. Google is your friend when learning. As long as you are constantly in the program your skills should grow.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I <3 excel. Best way to to do it is learn the basics then slowly add on new new skills. Google is your friend when learning. As long as you are constantly in the program your skills should grow.
I work in it everyday, but often find myself preforming the same tasks over and over (data clean up, etc.). Recently I've tried to start incorporating vlookups, mcaros, vba to work more efficiently. Vlookups were pretty easy to get the hang of but the macros and vba stuff is a learning process for sure.

Recently I've been watching some tutorials on vba to try and improve in that area. I don't have a coding background so there's a big learning curve, but I think it will pay off. Ultimately, I might look into some classes. I'm basically self taught (15 years working with it) so I feel like I know all of the basic to intermidiate stuff although I might have a blind spot or two I'm unaware of.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I work in it everyday, but often find myself preforming the same tasks over and over (data clean up, etc.). Recently I've tried to start incorporating vlookups, mcaros, vba to work more efficiently. Vlookups were pretty easy to get the hang of but the macros and vba stuff is a learning process for sure.

Recently I've been watching some tutorials on vba to try and improve in that area. I don't have a coding background so there's a big learning curve, but I think it will pay off. Ultimately, I might look into some classes. I'm basically self taught (15 years working with it) so I feel like I know all of the basic to intermidiate stuff although I might have a blind spot or two I'm unaware of.

VBA takes a while. Macros are great once you get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->