OT: Anything Goes 33: What'cha Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
A construction crew that was supposedly only there to renovate sculptures around the building, from what I hear. Someone flicked a butt somewhere they shouldn't have...

Hadn't seen that. Hate to draw conclusions without full knowledge but it has to be related to that crew being there. Too big a coincidence. Fire that massive to a buidling that massive, I don't even know if we'll ever get that answer or not for certain. Where do you ever begin to be able to investigate that?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hadn't seen that. Hate to draw conclusions without full knowledge but it has to be related to that crew being there. Too big a coincidence. Fire that massive to a buidling that massive, I don't even know if we'll ever get that answer or not for certain. Where do you ever begin to be able to investigate that?

The flicking butt part was me just being an ass.

Fire investigators are trained to figure it out.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Police stating no deaths as of right now.

Cause is unknown.

And it's going to burn to the ground. They aren't able to get any water on it, apparently. They can't get high enough/close enough.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Firefighters trying to battle fire from roof area and decks now not sure how much of an effect that will have or how long before they have to pull them back

Spire collapsed , Entire central roof collapsed and they are saying historic windows have been destroyed

Anyone know the windows they might be talking about?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Firefighters trying to battle fire from roof area and decks now not sure how much of an effect that will have or how long before they have to pull them back

Spire collapsed , Entire central roof collapsed and they are saying historic windows have been destroyed

All of the 800+ year old stained glass windows...

They're trying to save artwork and such... Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be able to save much at this point.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Last photo I saw a few minutes ago the entire spire was in flames. Guessing maybe that was part of the collapse now at this point? That building won't be salvageable. How awful.

The spire collapsed into the building just now. Watched it happen live.

If you look at that feed... it's burning to the ground. There is no saving it. No way. The entire burning roof looks to have collapsed into the inside, and now it's burning from the inside out.

Here BL the moment spire collapsed

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As someone with some familiarity with fire operations, it is really surprising to me the fire department there wasn't able to do more to get water on this. You'd think with a building like that you'd have a special plan in place and development special things/operations/tactics to at least have a best shot at getting the most water on it and saving it. It's pretty much looked like they've been pissing in the wind trying to put any of this out. And church fires are a bitch, I know, and you're talking about the biggest damn church in the world, but I just feel like this thing was never fought at all and was just allowed to take over. Such a shame, regardless.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

The rose window(s) are the most iconic, I believe.
14.jpg

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's effectively a massive stone oven now with its interior gutted by fire and massive retaining walls keeping everything within. I have to imagine that the heat is particularly intense and extremely difficult to contain with traditional firefighting methods.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's effectively a massive stone oven now with its interior gutted by fire and massive retaining walls keeping everything within. I have to imagine that the heat is particularly intense and extremely difficult to contain with traditional firefighting methods.

The interior was mostly wood as well. Notre Dame will just be exterior walls by the time this is done. So sad.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The historical relics and artwork were apparently taken out for the renovations, so at least we're not talking about a total cultural loss. Losing the building alone is still staggering, but could've been absolutely gargantuan.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The historical relics and artwork were apparently taken out for the renovations, so at least we're not talking about a total cultural loss. Losing the building alone is still staggering, but could've been absolutely gargantuan.

HUGE news. There was some amazing art in there.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

HUGE news. There was some amazing art in there.

From what I heard earlier via BBC and their live feed... most of it was left IN during the renovations. Because most the renovations were to the stone work on the outside... the sculptures and flying buttresses.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
From what I heard earlier via BBC and their live feed... most of it was left IN during the renovations. Because most the renovations were to the stone work on the outside... the sculptures and flying buttresses.

Going off this:

Hopefully that tweet was the truth....

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Going off this:

Hopefully that tweet was the truth....

I have a hard time believing they could get inside and save everything. Considering the spire and roof collapsed within about an hour of it being reported. Not much to go on other than that tweet, which who knows if true or not. Have yet to see anything corroborating that. I'm going off of what the BBC reporters said during their live broadcast, that a lot of the art and relics were left inside because the renovations weren't relating to those things, but mostly the stone work.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I read "has been saved" as "taken out in advance" versus rescued during the fire, but I see your point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad