OT: Anything Goes 33: What'cha Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We visited several cathedrals (Vatican, St Johns, ND) on our trip and I was amazed how much art they had in all of them.

Nothing compares to St Peter's but that should not be a shock of an opinion. The art was incredible. My wife and I discuss taking the same trip (Rome, Florence, plus a new city each time (Milan, Venice, etc.) once a decade just for the art and history (I love history).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
CBSN reporter just stated the entire frame of the cathedral is burning, and crews are "trying to salvage artwork and relics from inside the structure." And that the entire inside is in flames.

The bolded doesn't sound good for everything that was inside.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Same one I dropped earlier.

They've even evacuated all the surrounding buildings.

Deputy Mayor of Paris just stated the cathedral is falling apart.

Deputy Mayor just said Ministry of Culture stated anything that can be saved has been saved/moved. He stated "many things saved". The Bishop and administration immediately started getting that stuff out apparently, moving it out by truckloads, since the fire started at the roof.(I believe that's what he said) So some good news. Going to lose the cathedral, though, and all the iconic stained glass windows, it looks like.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Deputy Mayor of Paris says the fire started "at the roof, near scaffolding where statues were being taken down to be renovated". Sounds like one of those "Some careless dipshit threw a cigarette butt somewhere he shouldn't have in an 800+ year old building".

Reports that firefighters are saying "We're not sure we can save it." Over 400 firefighters working on it.

So was just listening, and from the time of the initial report of fire, until the spire and parts of the roof collapsed, was just an hour. So all they would have gotten out as far as relics and artwork is likely whatever they got out in that first hour only.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Last report was the stone structure of the building will be salvaged, so at least it's not a total loss but damn.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Last report was the stone structure of the building will be salvaged, so at least it's not a total loss but damn.

I mean... other than some art and relics, it's a total loss. There's nothing left but some possible salvage of some stone and concrete. It will be a brand new church with an old stone facade. The 800 year old stained glass is gone. The 800 year old wood that was the internal framework for the building.... gone. Anything about it that made it interesting to me, is gone. It's no longer a historical significance to me when it is a brand new church rebuilt to look like the old one.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I mean... other than some art and relics, it's a total loss. There's nothing left but some possible salvage of some stone and concrete. It will be a brand new church with an old stone facade. The 800 year old stained glass is gone. The 800 year old wood that was the internal framework for the building.... gone. Anything about it that made it interesting to me, is gone. It's no longer a historical significance to me when it is a brand new church rebuilt to look like the old one.

As someone who has seen in in person inside and out, you are dramatically underestimating the beauty and impressiveness of the exterior.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
As someone who has seen in in person inside and out, you are dramatically underestimating the beauty and impressiveness of the exterior.

No, I'm aware of that. But how much of that will be salvaged? It's all going to be stained black. Much of it will have crumbled, and cracked. It will all have to be "refinished" basically.

It's going to be a new church, made to look like the old one. So much of the "grandeur" has vanished for me, when the only draw to it before this was the historical aspect, since I can't tolerate organized religion.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
As a sponsor, you shouldn't see a single ad. Should complain. I haven't seen one since I became a sponsor like a year ago or some **** like that. None. Never a single one.

Send a complaint. You shouldn’t be seeing any ads.

I sent them an email. They changed a setting and im no longer getting them. Not sure why they started all of a sudden, ive never had them before.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No, I'm aware of that. But how much of that will be salvaged? It's all going to be stained black. Much of it will have crumbled, and cracked. It will all have to be "refinished" basically.

It's going to be a new church, made to look like the old one. So much of the "grandeur" has vanished for me, when the only draw to it before this was the historical aspect, since I can't stand organized religion.

They have said that they have salvaged the structure and stopped the fire from spreading to the northern belfry (from the Paris Police chief).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They have said that they have salvaged the structure and stopped the fire from spreading to the northern belfry (from the Paris Police chief).

And? That doesn't change anything that I said. All of that stone work will have to be refinished/repaired still. Or at least a massive percentage of it will need to be. The fire went as far as the front entrance and the two square towers, destroyed the entire roof and spire, destroyed the entire internal frame of the building, while damaging all the stonework inside via flames, char, heat, and a roof collapsing in on it. Outside will have been damaged by flames, smoke, and things falling all over, as well as heat.

Like I said, my only draw to it was the historical aspect. Now a large majority of that will be gone.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
And? That doesn't change anything that I said. All of that stone work will have to be refinished/repaired still. Or at least a massive percentage of it.

I really think you are underestimating exterior. The detail is incredible and the flying buttresses are even more impressive. The overall architecture and design is incredible. You can say it is refinished/repaired but it was originally built almost 700 years ago.

The Sistine Chapel was restored but it did not diminish anything.

This has nothing to do with organized religion just to be clear.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I really think you are underestimating exterior. The detail is incredible and the flying buttresses are even more impressive. The overall architecture and design is incredible. You can say it is refinished/repaired but it was originally built almost 700 years ago.

This has nothing to do with organized religion just to be clear.

:facepalm:

I think you're misunderstanding me. A massive fire/heat of that intensity is going to cause damage to the exterior, also, when burning right on the other side of it through the inside. Thermal expansion is a thing, even in stonework. Mortar holding things together will deteriorate, also. Much of it will have to be refinished and repaired on the exterior, not just the interior, is what I'm saying.

So what I'm saying is... it's basically going to be a brand new building, that some modern construction company built. Not an 800+ year old building, built by hand, by masons. All of that beautiful stonework on the inside, done by masons, 800+ years ago... will have to be repaired, and refinished. It has lost the grandeur that attracted me to it, prior to this.

I'll wait to see pictures of the extent of the damage to it, as they will eventually have a bunch on the web.

I've lost all interest in seeing it, as of right now.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I think you're misunderstanding me. A massive fire/heat of that intensity is going to cause damage to the exterior, also, when burning right on the other side of it through the inside. Thermal expansion is a thing, even in stonework. Mortar holding things together will deteriorate, also. Much of it will have to be refinished and repaired on the exterior, not just the interior, is what I'm saying.

So what I'm saying is... it's basically going to be a brand new building, that some modern construction company built. Not an 800+ year old building, built by hand, by masons. All of that beautiful stonework on the inside, done by masons, 800+ years ago... will have to be repaired, and refinished. It has lost the grandeur that attracted me to it, prior to this.

I'll wait to see pictures of the extent of the damage to it, as they will eventually have a bunch on the web.

I've lost all interest in seeing it, as of right now.

You are making a lot of assumptions about what has happened to the exterior. Neither of us are fire experts or firefighters but hell you might have been one so my bad if that is the case. We both know the basics of it.

I agree the inside is done but the outside is just as beautiful (this is coming from someone who has seeing in person inside and out recently). I would still go see it if it was just in ruins like I did the Coliseum or Acropolis of Athens but hey different strokes for different folks.

I am a huge Classical Antiquity through the Renaissance buff so this has a lot to do with it.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I spent a month in Paris this past summer, and my hostel was a fifteen minute walk in a straight line from Notre Dame. This is crazy and heartbreaking.

Macron has said they will rebuild, and I've read that the relics and outer structure are safe. I'm hoping that they can restore what remains.

At the very least, they have 850 years' worth of documentation about the construction of that building, down to the last nail. We may not have seen the end of the old Lady yet.

Reactions: ColdSteel2 and BK

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A while ago. It was nothing special.

Is it not a dumpster fire? Basically my main concern as people with Wells Fargo or used to bank with them for instance have told me to never bank with the because of how bad everything has been over there. Having a crappy bank you deal with can be issue as they found out

I honestly don't know what the reputation of Fifth Third Bank is and what I should expect with them

For 2nd time in my life the bank I have is being merged with another and I don't know what to expect

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Is it not a dumpster fire? Basically my main concern as people with Wells Fargo or used to bank with them for instance have told me to never bank with the because of how bad everything has been over there. Having a crappy bank you deal with can be issue as they found out

I honestly don't know what the reputation of Fifth Third Bank is and what I should expect with them

For 2nd time in my life the bank I have is being merged with another and I don't know what to expect

BWC - do some research online and find the best bank for you. Let me know if you want some good places to start.

Sorry to edit but I got weirded out sharing that here.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
BWC - do some research online and find the best bank for you. Let me know if you want some good places to start.

Sorry to edit but I got weirded out sharing that here.

I will probably see how it goes

I just hate that once again my banking situation is changing

My first bank was great and local , then was bought out by MB and they were ok and now I gotta deal with everything changing

Just hate how things seem to go in banking world like everywhere else were everything just gets swallowed up by bigger fish

I have considered a credit union for my banking as people have had good experiences with them but I worry about the stability of such an organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->