Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Just a day after the suicide death of Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain has now also passed away due to apparent suicide. Also, Sons of Anarchy actor Alan O'neill(Hugh) died yesterday, though that one does not look to be a suicide. RIP. Been a rough week for celebrities.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just a day after the suicide death of Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain has now also passed away due to apparent suicide. Also, Sons of Anarchy actor Alan O'neill(Hugh) died yesterday, though that one does not look to be a suicide. RIP. Been a rough week for celebrities.

Just googled him. Even after seeing his picture I have no recollection of him on the show.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Decided to pony up for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child tickets on Broadway.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Is there some drama related to that show? I thought I read something about it the other day.

It's gotten great reviews and won best play at the Tony's last night. I don't know much else.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So....I'm thinking about building a digital movie collection. For those that do this already, what service or platform do you suggest using?

Currently I have fire sticks on both of my tv's. I own a few good movies through Amazon Video. I also own a few good movies through iTunes, which I currently can't play anywhere except my PC. I would have to buy Apple TV to go that route I think...?

I plan on moving late this year (somewhere near West Dundee is the plan) and am hoping to cut the cord. So this is a bit of a pre-emptive thing to have things to watch :)

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Just finished 13 Reasons Why Season 2....

Show should have ended at Season 1.

Anyone else see it? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Just finished 13 Reasons Why Season 2....

Show should have ended at Season 1.

Anyone else see it? Your thoughts?

Funny, my wife and I just finished it last night, too. I actually really liked it a lot, maybe even more than Season 1, and I had pretty low expectations for it going in. I'm probably going to be in the minority on that, but surprisingly, kind of where I'm at with it.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Funny, my wife and I just finished it last night, too. I actually really liked it a lot, maybe even more than Season 1, and I had pretty low expectations for it going in. I'm probably going to be in the minority on that, but surprisingly, kind of where I'm at with it.

I liked it a lot too, actually, so I'm in that minority as well.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I liked it a lot too, actually, so I'm in that minority as well.

I thought Ep 12 was f***ed up... IMO, they went unnecessarily graphic and violent. (they went very dark with showing the rapes and suicide, but this was 1000x worse). A person would not get up after that attack, period. You would be hospitalized or dead. I believe that scene was based off real life story unfortunately, but still, I don't think anyone needed to watch it. I thought the ending was completely unbelievable. It seems the whole second season was contradicting the narrative set in the first season.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I thought Ep 12 was ****ed up... I thought they went unnecessarily graphic and violent. (I thought they went very dark with showing the rapes and suicide, but this was 1000x worse). A person would not get up after that attack, period. You would be hospitalized or dead. Don't get me wrong, I am certain there are ****ed up bullies in the world and poor victims who went through that (believe that scene was based off real life story unfortunately). I thought the ending was completely unbelievable. It seems the whole second season was contradicting the narrative set in the first season.

That was my biggest issue with it all.

The fact that so many of these kids got away with perjury, and not a single one of these lawyers was able to investigate enough to smash all of their lies? Made no sense to me, honsetly. I actually thought it was good to see how the entire situation had affected everyone, though. Lots of insight into how suicides and bullying continue to torment people even months or years after they happen/stop.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
That was my biggest issue with it all.

The face that so many of these kids got away with perjury, and not a single one of these lawyers was able to investigate enough to smash all of their lies? Made no sense to me, honsetly. I actually thought it was good to see how the entire situation had affected everyone, though. Lots of insight into how suicides and bullying continue to torment people even months or years after they happen/stop.

IMO, the show is demonstrating the absolute worst possible scenario every single time for shock value. The issue of rape/bullying in both genders needs to be discussed, but this is just a bad portrayal. Also, 0% chance Tyler doesn't go guns blazing in that school (even when he should have been dead/hospitalized).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
IMO, the show is demonstrating the absolute worst possible scenario every single time for shock value. The issue of rape/bullying in both genders needs to be discussed, but this is just a bad portrayal. Also, zero % chance Tyler doesn't go guns blazing in that school.

That's a good point. Of course it was. It's a show, for entertainment purposes. I still enjoyed it, though. I didn't think it was on the level of the first season, because the first season had so much mystery, and things leaving you on the edge of your seat, but it was still good, IMO.

And IDK. I'm sure numerous people have been talked out of doing something like that at one point or another. Now, obviously they weren't talked out of it on the door step, but I'm sure it has happened where a friend or relative talked someone out of doing something similar/stupid in the heat of emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad