Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Forest Gump is awful. The most overrated film ever.
giphy.gif

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Forest Gump is awful. The most overrated film ever.

This is a bad take.

If somebody ever claims it's the BEST movie ever made, fine. Yes. They are overrating it. Short of that, no, it's great.

Apollo 13, now THERE'S an overrated piece of shit. I watched it the other day and can't believe it was allowed to hit theaters. Ron Howard may be the greatest example of failing upward in the field of directing that there's ever been.

Reactions: LordKOTL

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The Matrix.

The Matrix is awesome.

It's pretty generational though. It is to a lot of millennials as was Star Wars was to baby boomers. It hit a zeitgeist, a perfect hit of theme and style for the time it was released.

Just the first one though. The sequels were hot trash.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The Matrix is awesome.

It's pretty generational though. It is to a lot of millennials as was Star Wars was to baby boomers. It hit a zeitgeist, a perfect hit of theme and style for the time it was released.

Just the first one though. The sequels were hot trash.

Overated.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You know I am close to the same age as you right?

Honestly, I can't keep track. :laugh:

I stand by my position regardless of whether you are 12 or 82. :)

Star Wars is overrated. And has only gotten worse since Empire.

The Matrix is awesome.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You hate everything people like.

It’s not just me, no one should like hamburger helper. Is that what this is about?

That scene where his strung out friend was about to jump off the balcony and they played freebird in the background was so hokey I wanted to leave. That, and the running scene that was boring af and went on forever. That’s all I remember. I tried to put the rest out of my mind.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hamburger Helper is not that bad. First choice to eat? Never but it is edible...kind of...if you are drunk...and desperate.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is a bad take.

If somebody ever claims it's the BEST movie ever made, fine. Yes. They are overrating it. Short of that, no, it's great.

Apollo 13, now THERE'S an overrated piece of ****. I watched it the other day and can't believe it was allowed to hit theaters. Ron Howard may be the greatest example of failing upward in the field of directing that there's ever been.

What? I've watched Apollo 13 several times and really enjoy it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It’s not just me, no one should like hamburger helper. Is that what this is about?

That scene where his strung out friend was about to jump off the balcony and they played freebird in the background was so hokey I wanted to leave. That, and the running scene that was boring af and went on forever. That’s all I remember. I tried to put the rest out of my mind.

Lol hamburger helper? What?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Your comments were made in passing but mine were ironclad positions formed by my zealotry for hamburger helper.

I inferred that someone who speaks up on behalf of hamburger helper must be serious about it. You can set the record straight.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What? I've watched Apollo 13 several times and really enjoy it.

I was hyperbolizing a tad. ;)

I've seen it through all the way a few times in the years since it was released, so it can't be THAT bad, I'm just going off the most recent time I watched it and seemed to be irritated by every little thing wrong with it, particularly the direction.

It gets a lot out of being a true story, and a dramatic one at that. I just don't think, as far as craft, it's a particularly great movie, despite generally being held up as one. I think it's overrated, but there are far worse movies out there.

If you enjoy it all good. Don't let my opinion ruin it for you.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I was hyperbolizing a tad. ;)

I've seen it through all the way a few times in the years since it was released, so it can't be THAT bad, I'm just going off the most recent time I watched it and seemed to be irritated by every little thing wrong with it, particularly the direction.

It gets a lot out of being a true story, and a dramatic one at that. I just don't think, as far as craft, it's a particularly great movie, despite generally being held up as one. I think it's overrated, but there are far worse movies out there.

If you enjoy it all good. Don't let my opinion ruin it for you.
We are talking about movie opinions,so everyones is different. Your not stopping me from enjoying anything.

I guess in the sense that it was nominated for best picture and all that I can see the case for overrated, but I think it's a good movie.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t think I’ve seen Apollo 13 as an adult, and have no interest in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad