Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
3 goals in 5 games and we get this thread? :help:

First there is no way at the draft we would have taken Galchenyuk. I'm willing to bet that literally all 30 teams would have taken Yakupov 1st overall if you forced them to pick. You simply couldn't justify taking a player that missed his entire draft year with a significant injury over a guy that was breaking Stamkos' records. Galchenyuk looks very good and his game at present is more suited to the NHL - Yak is still learning what he can and cannot get away with which is much different than what it was at junior. I have no doubt that he'll be fine. The size issue has already been pointed out as well - Galchenyuk has an inch and change on Yakupov but in the HF world Galchenyuk's the prototypical big center and Yakupov is the small, skilled winger. In a redraft I think we'd see Yakupov-Galchenyuk at 1-2 in that order. Maybe if Galchenyuk played last year it would have been different but it's way too early to jump to these conclusions.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree with the sentiment that Gally was not the right choice at the time. In retrospect, he might have been. We will see in the coming years. Certainly hope we can get that falling centerman the one poster speaks of. :)

In retrospect it's been 5 games.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
There is a lot of over reactions on both fronts in this thread. Yes it's early, but it's only a discussion on the internet.

For the record, I think Yak will be the more prolific scorer. I like him, but I do wish he was a centre, bigger and had a more developed defensive game, but whatever.

this is being a bit silly. you could wish any teenaged player in the league was bigger and had a better defensive game. are players not allowed to develop anymore?

Turrican*

Daniel Winnick also has 5 goals and an assist in 4 games this year.

Some size and a Centerman. Would have been perfect in our #2 spot and we passed on him 9 times in 2004.

We suck at drafting.

This.

I can play this game too...

Tyler Seguin - 6 gp 3p 103:06 TOI
Taylor Hall - 5gp 7p 102:27 TOI

YAY HALL > SEGUIN

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
R6qrD.gif

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Daniel Winnick also has 5 goals and an assist in 4 games this year.

Some size and a Centerman. Would have been perfect in our #2 spot and we passed on him 9 times in 2004.

We suck at drafting.

Not true. Regardless of the debate hall vs Sequin, Yak vs Gal, the players we took first overall are exceptional talents.

It's every other pick (2nd spot to the 8th round) we make that is questionable (save Eberle and Klef), which is either remarkably bad luck or incompetence. Given our general mistakes at overpaying players and getting owned at the trade table, I would say the later is correct.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't see why so many of you had to jump on the OP. He wasn't crapping on Yakupov, he just said that in hindsight, MAYBE the Oilers should have gone with Galchenyuk.
I'm quite happy that the Oilers took Yakupov and honestly, there wasn't much of a choice but to take him since he was the clear BPA and Galchenyuk was too much of a risk, Murray too vanilla etc. However, i'm disappointed that Galchenyuk was injured in his draft year because i thought going into that year that he would be the ideal center for the Oilers but the injury took away any chance of him being drafted 1st due to the risk.

I do feel that if he played all year up to his capability that he could have battled Yakupov for #1 and the Oilers would have considered him. The kid is the real deal, built like a tank (looks a good deal bigger than Yak on the ice), has really worked on his 2 way game and isn't afraid to go to the net.
FTR, i've liked Galchenyuk for a long time, it's not based on a 5 game sample size.
As i said before anybody jumps on me, i'm content that the Oilers selected Yak but i can see the intrigue with Galchenyuk.

Turrican*

Glad we picked RNH over Lindrosgod too.

The statline 5 games into the season, proves my point!

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
so lets recap some thread over the past few weeks

Should have taken Seguin over Hall
Trade Gagner for a second
Buy out Smyth, Horcoff, Habby and a few others
Taken Galchenyuk (who has had lots of injury problems) over Yakupov after only 5 nhl games
Landeskog or Huberdou over Nuge

this board is never happy

but we second guess way too much, Yakupov is barely 5 games into his career.

I imagine at some point in time some poster will complain about not draft Andrew Shaw over the 5 players we took before the hawks drafted him

I think the real problem is that any yokel with a wierd opinion can make a thread, then all the sudden it's a "thing".

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Habs fan here to clarify that he is not playing wing. He took Ellers position on the third line in game 2 with Bgally and Prust. Btw I'm not here to say gal is better or start a fight you guys made the right choice at #1.

Thanks for the correction. I had not realized that Gally got moved to the Centre position. Not a big surprise considering your teams lack of depth there compared to Seguins situation in Boston.

Regardless of what anxious viewers say, Yak is, was and will be the correct selection. Aside from talent and production, I felt Yakupov was the driving force on their line in Sarnia. Galchenyuk seemed more like a compliment to him as a perimeter playmaker. And then there was his injury, give your head a shake people for thinking perhaps we made the wrong selection because of a stats column five games in. Maybe we didnt take the largest gamble in draft history, maybe. Carry on though.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Yakupov isn't the best player in the draft, and neither is Galchenyuk...

The best player is obviously Morgan Reilly, we messed up guys.

:sarcasm:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Yakupov isn't the best player in the draft, and neither is Galchenyuk...

The best player is obviously Morgan Reilly, we messed up guys.

:sarcasm:

For someone with over 7000 posts I expected a more educated and reasonable post. Jankowski is and was the consensus #1 pick.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
we already have our #2 C, and his name is gagner... i don't understand why people don't get that he is already a very good player

Yeaah a 1 year deal thats how much they believe in him! If he do a monster season with help from our stars, he will ask for ebs/hall money so he will be gone anyway.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Yeaah a 1 year deal thats how much they believe in him! If he do a monster season with help from our stars, he will ask for ebs/hall money so he will be gone anyway.

And if he's asking for that kind of money he either had an incredible season or is insane. If it's an incredible season he can be trade bait or, who knows, keep him?

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Galchenyuk's points last night were entirely kick. I'm not impressed with that.

Yak, all day.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Habs might have caught a huge break in the fact Galchenyuk was injured all last year. Good for them.

All the Oilers got that week was Yakupov & Schultz. God were soo unlucky.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006

We got a surefire 40 goalscorer.

But instead we can instead get a MYSTERY player!

That mystery player could turn out to be anything!

he could even turn out to be a 40 goal scorer!!!!!!

Love this clip.

I see all the thread Nazi's are out... Apparently discussion is a bad thing on a forum, and threads should never be made. I think we should do everything we can to reduce the amount of posting on this board. :sarcasm:

I agree it's too early to make an assessment on the players, but my prediction is that we will wish we had taken Galchenyuk. :)

I think the real problem is that any yokel with a wierd opinion can make a thread, then all the sudden it's a "thing".

I've been a member of this board for a very long time. What defines "yokel with a wierd (sp) opinion" anyway? Who is the arbiter, the thought police?

Yeesh, I think a lot of members here would be a lot happier living under a dictatorship.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Love this clip.

I see all the thread Nazi's are out... Apparently discussion is a bad thing on a forum, and threads should never be made. I think we should do everything we can to reduce the amount of posting on this board. :sarcasm:

I agree it's too early to make an assessment on the players, but my prediction is that we will wish we had taken Galchenyuk. :)

I've been a member of this board for a very long time. What defines "yokel with a wierd (sp) opinion" anyway? Who is the arbiter, the thought police?

Yeesh, I think a lot of members here would be a lot happier living under a dictatorship.

Where was this thread at draft time?

Why wait until now?

Would you be making this thread now if Galchenyuk had gone pointless and been sent down to Sarnia?

I think it is getting the reaction it deserves.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
This is such an overreaction thread... How many games are we into the season???? Just ridiculous... Also, HINDSIGHT IS 20/20! Remember that 18yr olds develop at MUCH different paces.

Wizeman*

Canuck fan coming in peace.

I dont care about the Habs media masturbating over the guy.

Yakupov is the better talent. He brain works far faster than everyone else on the ice with the possible exception of Eberle.

He will be a superstar by age 25 . You guys made the right pick.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the only people who wish we didnt take yakupov are the columbus bluejackets because they deserved him lol, too bad howsen, eat dirt we got the best player, we got the best player in jr and in 20 games this thread will be even more laughable then it is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad