Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I've been a member of this board for a very long time. What defines "yokel with a wierd (sp) opinion" anyway? Who is the arbiter, the thought police?

Yeesh, I think a lot of members here would be a lot happier living under a dictatorship.

Hi Giggli, I have to apologize, looking back what I said was unnecessarily crass - I was on my mobile at the time and didn't see who had made the OP, and assumed that rather than a regular it was one of the many one-off posters who make some ridiculous thread and then kind of disappear again. Not that that makes what I said any more justified - people should be able to say whatever they want (even if it's hard to put up with sometimes).

That said, sorry, I just don't agree. I feel like it's too knee-jerk-reactionary to Galchenyuk's good start. I'm doubly against it in that I don't think we made a bad pick in Yakupov at all. I am triply against it in that I am a big Gagner fan and I personally consider him part of the core and one of the heart-and-soul players on the Oilers, and don't want him replaced.

Oh, and it is a habit of mine to typo 'weird.' Haha.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yak was the obvious #1 pick. I would have taken Grigorenko #2 and Galchenyuk #3.

Edit... obviously the Oilers missed out on Jankowski. That's the only conversation we should be having.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov has always been better than Galchenyuk at every level they played. At the end of the season Yakupov could very well be the Oilers leading goal scorer.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Please make a thread like this every game please OP. Preferably about Nuge tomorrow so he can have a clutch goal too.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I love Yakupov. And I agree he was considered BPA at draft.

Just can't help but notice that big centreman who is so far a ppg and +4 with two way potential.

It may be that, even if Yakupov is the better offensive threat, our team may have been better off in the long term with the centerman.

Too bad there was no bigger sample size for Gally in his draft year. If he had not been injured he may have been ranked #1.

Could be an Ovechkin vs. Malkin scenario.

I did , but Yak has proven me wrong . I am glad we have him . He already earned us 4 point .

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
To start, he's not big. He's hardly any bigger than Yak and less physical. He's good, but no. You don't take a massive gamble like with the 1st overall pick

Absolutely right. You don't go off the board no matter how slight by not taking the consensus #1 pick. Having said that there is always going to be a Daigle at sometime as a #1. Just hope that meteor doesn't hit us anytime soon.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I love Yakupov. And I agree he was considered BPA at draft.

Just can't help but notice that big centreman who is so far a ppg and +4 with two way potential.

It may be that, even if Yakupov is the better offensive threat, our team may have been better off in the long term with the centerman.

Too bad there was no bigger sample size for Gally in his draft year. If he had not been injured he may have been ranked #1.

Could be an Ovechkin vs. Malkin scenario.

Everyone wants a Big Center.

6'2"+ centers with 0.70+ PPG in the NCAA @ 18
Jujhar Khaira EDM 2012 RD3 #63
Charlie Coyle SJS 2010 RD1 #28
N. Bugstad FLD 2010 RD1 #19
T.J. gallardi COL 2007 RD2 #55
R. Kesler VCR 2003 RD1 #23

He knows how to deal with a little contact when does not have the puck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol9PVmQsXaU

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Everyone wants a Big Center.

6'2"+ centers with 0.70+ PPG in the NCAA @ 18
Jujhar Khaira EDM 2012 RD3 #63
Charlie Coyle SJS 2010 RD1 #28
N. Bugstad FLD 2010 RD1 #19
T.J. gallardi COL 2007 RD2 #55
R. Kesler VCR 2003 RD1 #23

He knows how to deal with a little contact when does not have the puck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol9PVmQsXaU

i'm really rooting for this kid hope he pans out to be at least a 3rd liner but we are talking about 2-4 years away.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I think Galchenyuk will be a more complete player but can't match Yakupov's scoring. I would have been happy with either (as long as it wasn't Murray) but potential 40 goal scorers are a rare find...we made the right pick.

Ogopogo*

******* no. If you are looking at +/- to evaluate a player, you need help.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Please close this thread. Another really dumb topic that get's brought up anytime another draft pick gets a few points.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
This game of who would of been better is interesting to think about, but we really only know the answer several years down the road. I believe at the top end, it's tough to go wrong with the first few picks, whether their order is swapped around from say 1-2-3 to 3-2-1 etc. 3 or 4 years from now, the key won't be who did we pick 1st over all, it will be how did we add those depth players to fill out the line-up.

For example, would there really be a tremendous difference if our top picks resulted in:

Landeskog-Sequin-Eberle

Gagner-Galchenyuk-Hemsky

vs.

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky

Both groups would clearly be able to get the job done at an elite level. Would one really be much better than the other?

Again, its how the rest of the line up fills out that will really make the difference.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
This game of who would of been better is interesting to think about, but we really only know the answer several years down the road. I believe at the top end, it's tough to go wrong with the first few picks, whether their order is swapped around from say 1-2-3 to 3-2-1 etc. 3 or 4 years from now, the key won't be who did we pick 1st over all, it will be how did we add those depth players to fill out the line-up.

For example, would there really be a tremendous difference if our top picks resulted in:

Landeskog-Sequin-Eberle

Gagner-Galchenyuk-Hemsky

vs.

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky

Both groups would clearly be able to get the job done at an elite level. Would one really be much better than the other?

Again, its how the rest of the line up fills out that will really make the difference.

The intangibles on the first line are unsustainable.

As to the actual topic, you take BPA every time. Every single time. Yakupov >> Galchenyuk.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If he falls to us, draft Curtis Lazar. Kid is decently sized, strong as an ox and a solid two way player.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The intangibles on the first line are unsustainable.

As to the actual topic, you take BPA every time. Every single time. Yakupov >> Galchenyuk.

I agree with this .... too bad the Oilers continue to ignore this strategy with MOST of their other first and second round picks in last few years (Nash, Plante, Moroz, etc.). Matt Finn or the likes sure would of been a nice addition to the Oilers depth on D last year instead of going off the board for Moroz. Oh well.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I agree with this .... too bad the Oilers continue to ignore this strategy with MOST of their other first and second round picks in last few years (Nash, Plante, Moroz, etc.). Matt Finn or the likes sure would of been a nice addition to the Oilers depth on D last year instead of going off the board for Moroz. Oh well.

Most of those weren't our current scouting staff. Stu picks a homegrown talent, that fills a major need, like 10 spots early and suddenly we just love going off the board?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Most of those weren't our current scouting staff. Stu picks a homegrown talent, that fills a major need, like 10 spots early and suddenly we just love going off the board?

No, it's take the BPA. Finn was rated mid first round, and has lived up to that Moroz was going to be a third round pick.

Yak looks better and better every night. I was wrong thinking we should of taken Gal over Yak. He makes that 2nd line so dangerous!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->