Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
I love Yakupov. And I agree he was considered BPA at draft.

Just can't help but notice that big centreman who is so far a ppg and +4 with two way potential.

It may be that, even if Yakupov is the better offensive threat, our team may have been better off in the long term with the centerman.

Too bad there was no bigger sample size for Gally in his draft year. If he had not been injured he may have been ranked #1.

Could be an Ovechkin vs. Malkin scenario.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
To start, he's not big. He's hardly any bigger than Yak and less physical. He's good, but no. You don't take a massive gamble like with the 1st overall pick

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
An elite player from 2013 draft will fall and Oilers will be there to pick up a ransom. Don't worry, we will have our #2 center.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Grigorenko would have been a better fit than Galchenyuk IMHO. But no, happy with the best player from the draft.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
No chance.

He's not big(Yak is 5'11.25, Gal is 6'0.5, combine results), and had just missed a year of hockey(major risk) at the time of the draft.

Yak was the right choice.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Take a player who didnt play his draft year over a player who destroyed his draft year. Not only that, but both were team mates the year before, so there is questions about how much Yakupov boosted Galys numbers. No way in hell theyd take Galy. Stu would get roasted

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Should have taken Murray. First name = Ryan and got a shoulder injury to end his season. Perfect fit for us but no, Tambi had to **** it up and get the BPA. Some nerve.

And yes, I'm mocking the stupidity of this thread when it's been only 5 games into the season and when our current #2 center has been one of the team's best forwards.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
I agree with the sentiment that Gally was not the right choice at the time. In retrospect, he might have been. We will see in the coming years. Certainly hope we can get that falling centerman the one poster speaks of. :)

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Should have taken Murray. First name = Ryan and got a shoulder injury to end his season. Perfect fit for us but no, Tambi had to **** it up and get the BPA. Some nerve.

And yes, I'm mocking the stupidity of this thread when it's been only 5 games into the season and when our current #2 center has been one of the team's best forwards.

I like gagner a lot and think he is a great #2 centerman. You can never have enough good centerman. Call my thread stupid if you want, don't try to put words in my mouth regarding gagner.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
5 games in and we're already having this conversation?

cKr2i.gif

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I like gagner a lot and think he is a great #2 centerman. You can never have enough good centerman. Call my thread stupid if you want, don't try to put words in my mouth regarding gagner.

I wasn't but who else would Galchenyuk replace? I would rather have Yakupov playing top 6 minutes than Galchenyuk playing 3rd/4th line minutes with plugs.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
No, that would have been absolutely idiotic.

For the past 3 years we have taken the clear BPA at 1st overall and that's how good teams draft.
Hall vs Seguin was a lot closer than RNH vs field or Yakupov vs field. That's the only one where there was some wiggle room, but even then most scouts had Hall at #1.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Daniel Winnick also has 5 goals and an assist in 4 games this year.

Some size and a Centerman. Would have been perfect in our #2 spot and we passed on him 9 times in 2004.

We suck at drafting.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
so lets recap some thread over the past few weeks

Should have taken Seguin over Hall
Trade Gagner for a second
Buy out Smyth, Horcoff, Habby and a few others
Taken Galchenyuk (who has had lots of injury problems) over Yakupov after only 5 nhl games
Landeskog or Huberdou over Nuge

this board is never happy

but we second guess way too much, Yakupov is barely 5 games into his career.

I imagine at some point in time some poster will complain about not draft Andrew Shaw over the 5 players we took before the hawks drafted him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad