Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

Apr 1, 2010
No. Just get yak away from hemsky.

Ebs.rnh.harti
Yak.gag.hall
Worth a try, no?

Just a visitor who has an Interest in RNH and has been watching the OIL.

Eberle and Hall don't appear to need as talented a center as RNH. So why not Move Gagne up and put RNH with Yak and HEmsky?

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton

Eberle and Hall don't appear to need as talented a center as RNH. So why not Move Gagne up and put RNH with Yak and HEmsky?

Krueger has stated that he has certain pairs that he really likes, those being Eberle and Hopkins and Hemksy with Gagner. If anything we would be more likely to see hall move to the line with Hemsky and Ganger, and Yak move up to Eberle-RNH line. Gagner line gets tough match, RNH Eberle Yak take on the soft parade.

That and the chemistry of the top line right now is really quite evident.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Krueger has stated that he has certain pairs that he really likes, those being Eberle and Hopkins and Hemksy with Gagner. If anything we would be more likely to see hall move to the line with Hemsky and Ganger, and Yak move up to Eberle-RNH line. Gagner line gets tough match, RNH Eberle Yak take on the soft parade.

That and the chemistry of the top line right now is really quite evident.

I think it's an experiment worth trying at some point, but i wouldn't break something that doesnt need fixing right now. RNH feeds Hall and Eberle so well, as evidenced by the pass to Hall on the last goal against SJ. He also is so aware defensively and covers off for Hall and Eberle being out of position.

I also think RNH is a fair bit quicker than Gagner, so wonder if Gagner could keep up to Hall and Eberle.

Either way, we have two productive lines, mixing it up right now ... might give us no productive lines. A risk not worth taking until we have a losing streak, injuries etc.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

You will find many here who agree with you..
Pairing Nuge and Yak might get both going 5-on-5..

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It would be ncie to be bigger and better at center but...

No. Everything Ive seen from Yak as a rookie has been great. Only going to get better.

And surprisingly Gagner is starting to look like a bonified #2 center. Last couple games he has looked very good at both ends of the rink.

As for switching RNH for Gagner that just isnt a good idea.

RNH is far superior to Gagner defensively and right now Krueger is playing his top line against the opponents top line. The best players in the league RNH is shutting down right now. It is very impressive. The Sedin twins, Marleu and Thorton. etc. Its a great tatic and truth be told I am impressed how well it has worked to date.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
You know, I am a huge Hemsky fan and always have been, but for some reason he just seems like he is refusing to pass the puck to Yakupov. I wouldn't mind seeing him with another setup man TBO.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think it's an experiment worth trying at some point, but i wouldn't break something that doesnt need fixing right now. RNH feeds Hall and Eberle so well, as evidenced by the pass to Hall on the last goal against SJ. He also is so aware defensively and covers off for Hall and Eberle being out of position.

I also think RNH is a fair bit quicker than Gagner, so wonder if Gagner could keep up to Hall and Eberle.

Either way, we have two productive lines, mixing it up right now ... might give us no productive lines. A risk not worth taking until we have a losing streak, injuries etc.

We have scored 18 goals this season 11 of which were on PP leaving 7 ES goals in 7GP.
I wouldnt consider any of our ES lines productive. Hemsky has 0 ES points, Yak and Nuge 2 each. Wouldnt mind combining these 3 and hope to get some production out of them.

Nuge being a better defensive C might also help the +\- of our 2nd line which at the moment combines for -11.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You know, I am a huge Hemsky fan and always have been, but for some reason he just seems like he is refusing to pass the puck to Yakupov. I wouldn't mind seeing him with another setup man TBO.

Hemsky has 3 points this season, and aside from a couple of games, he's been largely ineffective at creating chances.

Oct 30, 2011
We have scored 18 goals this season 11 of which were on PP leaving 7 ES goals in 7GP.
I wouldnt consider any of our ES lines productive. Hemsky has 0 ES points, Yak and Nuge 2 each. Wouldnt mind combining these 3 and hope to get some production out of them.

Nuge being a better defensive C might also help the +\- of our 2nd line which at the moment combines for -11.

It just seems that Krueger is reluctant to mix up the first two lines just yet.

I think that the patience is warranted.

I do feel a little bit of urgency though, in terms of ES scoring. Ten games in is already a fifth of the season. Maybe if we get a substantial lead or deficit, he'll switch it up?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It just seems that Krueger is reluctant to mix up the first two lines just yet.

I think that the patience is warranted.

I do feel a little bit of urgency though, in terms of ES scoring. Ten games in is already a fifth of the season. Maybe if we get a substantial lead or deficit, he'll switch it up?

yah.. as long as we arent losing ground there is no real need to change up the lines.. Like Aerchon said... RNH is going against top lines of other clubs and doing a great job defensively,, Last thing we want our top line to become is a defensive liabillity..

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Pair 89 with 4 & 14 when we're playing Chicago, anyway :p

I'm not too keen on messing with the lines just yet. Putting Nuge /w Yaks is jumping the gun a little, Yaks needs time to settle into the NHL. He's getting better and more involved every game, and he does have 4 goals...

If he wants the puck from Hemsky he needs to get himself open in a shooting position, or support the puck on the cycle so it keeps moving and somebody else can get into a shooting position.
He showed really good patience on 89's goal against the Sharks, so it's coming.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Meh. He has a tendency to end up over there regardless. I don't think it's that big of deal

If he has a tendency to move over there, might as well keep him there. Especially because on the rush he doesn't know what the heck to do on the left, no one can get him the puck there, and Hemsky looks disinterested in skating fast down the right where Yak is more than capable of doing it.

Charon

Jul 24, 2008
I'm a Habs fan, but I live in Edmonton. So, naturally, I've seen pretty much every game from both teams so far this season. If I were to document my observations this early in the season for the purpose of comparing Galchenyuk and Yakupov, it would look something like this:

- Yakupov is faster and is a better skater overall. No doubt about it. Galchenyuk's skating strength is in his agility and shiftiness, but he is certainly fast enough for the NHL.
- Yakupov plays more physical - he hits more and is somewhat more involved on the boards battling for loose pucks.
- Galchenyuk demonstrates better positional play in his defensive zone, and he doesn't give the puck away as often as Yakupov.
- Both players seem to have very good shots. Yakupov's shot appears to have more velocity to it, but Galchenyuk's release is very quick and often deceptive.
- Yakupov seems to know how to get into an open position in the offensive zone to get a good scoring chance. He's obviously a sniper. Galchenyuk has been struggling to find those positions to score from.
- Galchenyuk seems to have a better vision for finding passing lanes to his teammates in the offensive zone. He seems to have more natural playmaking ability than Yakupov.
- Both players have impressive stickhandling ability. Couldn't say who's "better".
- I wouldn't say I'm terribly impressed by either player showing that they can consistently "make something out of nothing" like most great players. But, of course, they're both very young and learning to play in the big league.

Both of these young men are going to be very good players in a short period of time.

Just my two cents that seemed fit for the topic of this thread.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I'm a Habs fan, but I live in Edmonton. So, naturally, I've seen pretty much every game from both teams so far this season. If I were to document my observations this early in the season for the purpose of comparing Galchenyuk and Yakupov, it would look something like this:

- Yakupov is faster and is a better skater overall. No doubt about it. Galchenyuk's skating strength is in his agility and shiftiness, but he is certainly fast enough for the NHL.
- Yakupov plays more physical - he hits more and is somewhat more involved on the boards battling for loose pucks.
- Galchenyuk demonstrates better positional play in his defensive zone, and he doesn't give the puck away as often as Yakupov.
- Both players seem to have very good shots. Yakupov's shot appears to have more velocity to it, but Galchenyuk's release is very quick and often deceptive.
- Yakupov seems to know how to get into an open position in the offensive zone to get a good scoring chance. He's obviously a sniper. Galchenyuk has been struggling to find those positions to score from.
- Galchenyuk seems to have a better vision for finding passing lanes to his teammates in the offensive zone. He seems to have more natural playmaking ability than Yakupov.
- Both players have impressive stickhandling ability. Couldn't say who's "better".
- I wouldn't say I'm terribly impressed by either player showing that they can consistently "make something out of nothing" like most great players. But, of course, they're both very young and learning to play in the big league.

Both of these young men are going to be very good players in a short period of time.

I doubt that either player will one day be considered a much better player than the other, both teams got a great player..from what I've seen Yakupov has more of that dynamic first overall quality..Galchenyuk will probably put up just as many points in the NHL in the long term though..him being a center makes him extremely valuable..but Yak being a sniper with an unbelievable shot makes him just as valuable..

One thing I love about Yakupov is how quick he moves the puck..his passes are fast, crisp...and he doesn't wait forever to pass the puck like hemsky, Yakupov knows what he wants to do with the puck before he has it...

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nice input o MTL fan...

Galy is turning out to be a very good pick for MTL.. Kudos to them for taking a chance at him @ #3 despite his injury history during draft year.. A risk worth taking but could have gone the other way..

Good on your scouts for picking him over guys like Teravainen\ Forsberg\ Grigs and the 4 Dmen..

There is no way EDM would have picked Galy 1st overall... There would have been riots in the city :p

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're both going to be very good players, but the size thing is really overrated.

Galy is like an inch taller and plays less physical. Being a center is definitely a plus though.

I can Yakupov scoring so many goals from that right side on the powerplay, he's already showing that and the team (IMO) really isn't even looking for him much yet.

Hemsky has his head in the clouds most of the time and Sam is OK, but he doesn't have the vision Nugent Hopkins does.

I think we need a pure sniper more than another playmaker too, I think Yakupov has more of that quality. Would it be nice if he played center? Sure, but that shot of his ... wowza.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I don't know if its because Yak and Gally were teammates, or if its just the fans, but it seems like most Habs and Oil fans just want to see both do well. They're both very good in their own regards. It seems like you can't talk to a Boston or Colorado fan without them trying to pull out some statistic to prove we took the wrong guy

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Grigorenko would probably be the only player I would have been really interested in taking over Yak but I'm very happy to have Yakupov.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think Yak's passing and playmaking abilities are extremely underrated, kind of like Hall [coincidentally, he's like a Russian Hall with better hands].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad