Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Daniel Winnick also has 5 goals and an assist in 4 games this year.

Some size and a Centerman. Would have been perfect in our #2 spot and we passed on him 9 times in 2004.

We suck at drafting.

26 points... I don't think your realize how low that is for production

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
There is a lot of over reactions on both fronts in this thread. Yes it's early, but it's only a discussion on the internet.

For the record, I think Yak will be the more prolific scorer. I like him, but I do wish he was a centre, bigger and had a more developed defensive game, but whatever.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Take Bob McKenzie's advice. The first 2 weeks of a season mean very little. Galchenyuk is a good player and he might even end up being better than Yakupov...but 5 points in 5 games really means almost nothing. Especially when we're talking about who is going to be the better player over the next 15 years.

There is a lot of over reactions on both fronts in this thread. Yes it's early, but it's only a discussion on the internet.

For the record, I think Yak will be the more prolific scorer. I like him, but I do wish he was a centre, bigger and had a more developed defensive game, but whatever.
Honestly, as long as he can hold his own defensively, that's good enough for me. There are other guys on the team that can't get by on offensive production alone but Yakupov can. If he's scoring 40 goals a season, I'm not going to bash him if he ends up being -10 on the season. Reminds me of the Hall vs Seguin argument. "Seguin is better defensively". I can not stress enough how much I don't care about that. These guys are goal scorers in the league to do just that. Worried about their defensive play? Put someone on their line that can cover for them while they're lighting up goalies.

Last edited:

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
WOW, that didn't take long. :shakehead

3 goals in his first 5 games, imagine when he's on his game.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Take Bob McKenzie's advice. The first 2 weeks of a season mean very little. Galchenyuk is a good player and he might even end up being better than Yakupov...but 5 points in 5 games really means almost nothing. Especially when we're talking about who is going to be the better player over the next 15 years.

Honestly, as long as he can hold his own defensively, that's good enough for me. There are other guys on the team that can't get by on offensive production alone but Yakupov can. If he's scoring 40 goals a season, I'm not going to bash him if he ends up being -10 on the season.

For sure, I'm just saying it would have been a big bonus if he did all that and was a center.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Galchenyuk might end up being the better player, but at the time of the draft, we made the right choice.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Galchenyuk might end up being the better player, but at the time of the draft, we made the right choice.

Good answer. Even as a Habs fan if we had the first pick i would have picked Yak. The thing is nobody knew how well the knee for Galchenyuk was doing at the time and it was very risky to pick him early. I guess it turned out that his knee was 100% fine and we got an elite player.

And don't forget that it's only 5 games. I hope Yak will be very good in the near future for you guys because he seems very fast and have an excellent IQ. :)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

We got a surefire 40 goalscorer.

But instead we can instead get a MYSTERY player!

That mystery player could turn out to be anything!

he could even turn out to be a 40 goal scorer!!!!!!

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
0VkebQU.gif

Too many people hitting the panic button around here lately. Yak was the right choice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

We got a surefire 40 goalscorer.

But instead we can instead get a MYSTERY player!

That mystery player could turn out to be anything!

he could even turn out to be a 40 goal scorer!!!!!!

LOL exactly, this is what Galchenyuk became on draft day, even Gregor was sucked in pretty hard.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nobody is saying Yak is bad or turning in him, this thread is about who is the better player. Someone here picked Galchenyuk as the best player in the draft and the best fit for the Oil.

Ten years from now, there will clearly be a debate, it's less then 10 games into their CAREERS, Yakupov is still clearly the right choice given that time frame.

He has 3 freakin goals for crap sakes.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Not to get too off topic but the whole mystery box argument kind of erks me. We're talking about prospects. Yakupov projects to be a 40 goal scorer and Gally projects to be a 70-80 point center. At this point neither guy has proven anything at the NHL level so it's not like we're passing on a sure thing for a complete gamble. I think it's a weak comparison even though people use it all the time.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Jfc, we haven't even seen the tip of the ice berg from Yak yet. Barely even a pinky's worth of the talent and game he possesses. 19 year old rookie in the NHL in a shortened season, coming over after playing huge amounts of hockey in both Russia and NA, international and the KHL. Lets give this more than 5 games before we discuss... Terrible thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad