Anyone think we maybe should have taken Galchenyuk?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You know, I am a huge Hemsky fan and always have been, but for some reason he just seems like he is refusing to pass the puck to Yakupov. I wouldn't mind seeing him with another setup man TBO.

Anytime a new player gets put on Hemsky's line, we hear some variation of this.

Hemsky hates Eric Cole from the cup run, he won't pass the puck to him
Hemsky hates rookies, he won't pass the puck to them
Player X is too slow, Hemsky has no one to pass to
etc etc

Now we are starting to hear it about Hemsky/Yakupov, and it's not in the slightest bit surprising.

After nearly a decade, it is blatantly obvious Hemsky doesn't pass the puck unless he's forcing a low percentage attempt at a highlight reel pass through a pile of sticks, or just flat out forced to give it up(usually by and to the opposing team). A real playmaker will actually distribute the puck and utilize their teammates to create plays, Hemsky tries to beat the other team 1v5 everytime he touches the puck, and is much less effective at it these days as defensive clutch and grab systems reassert as the dominant tactic in the league.

He's a puck hog that doesn't fit with much of anyone on this roster anymore, let alone an intelligent and talented hockey player like Yakupov.

oilfaninvan

Mar 31, 2004
van
Hope Hemsky gets traded, to be honest. I'd like to bring in a player with size and the willingness to pass the puck every now and then. Hemsky is great, but it's time to go, especially if we want to keep the kids and Gagner.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Hope Hemsky gets traded, to be honest. I'd like to bring in a player with size and the willingness to pass the puck every now and then. Hemsky is great, but it's time to go, especially if we want to keep the kids and Gagner.

Seems unlikely that anyone would take on Hemsky's contract, as it was a big overpay. His talent is obvious, but his ability to consistently put it together is not.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Just a visitor who has an Interest in RNH and has been watching the OIL.

Eberle and Hall don't appear to need as talented a center as RNH. So why not Move Gagne up and put RNH with Yak and HEmsky?

except you still have the puckhog Hemsky there trying to dangle thru 5 NHLers. I like the option below.

I'd like to see...

Hall-Gags-Eberle
Harti-Nuge-Yak

I have a feeling...

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
It was too much of a gamble at the time, not really justified taking anybody but Yakupov IMO. But at the time of the draft it was acknowledged by a few, if not many, that Galchenyuk COULD be better in the long run. But the risk outweighed the benefit - I think it's pretty hard to disagree with that, especially because Yakupov looks like an extremely legit player even though he's still adjusting right now.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It was too much of a gamble at the time, not really justified taking anybody but Yakupov IMO. But at the time of the draft it was acknowledged by a few, if not many, that Galchenyuk COULD be better in the long run. But the risk outweighed the benefit - I think it's pretty hard to disagree with that, especially because Yakupov looks like an extremely legit player even though he's still adjusting right now.

bingo. people have to realize that with the first pick, it is not a MUST to get the player that ends up being the best of the crop. it IS a must to get an impact player. So, you take the player, not necessarily with the highest ceiling, but the player MOST GUARENTEED to be an impact, top end, franchise calibre player.

With Yak (and Hall) we got that. with RNH vrs. Landeskog, i think it was a case of two equally valued players, but we wanted and needed the centre.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
bingo. people have to realize that with the first pick, it is not a MUST to get the player that ends up being the best of the crop. it IS a must to get an impact player. So, you take the player, not necessarily with the highest ceiling, but the player MOST GUARENTEED to be an impact, top end, franchise calibre player.

With Yak (and Hall) we got that. with RNH vrs. Landeskog, i think it was a case of two equally valued players, but we wanted and needed the centre.

I don't think there were many that would have valued Landeskog at the same level as Nuge.

I've probably watched Landeskog a lot more than most on this board. He is a tremendous kid with a broad skillset. But I would have been choked beyond belief if the Oilers had picked him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

There was very little debate about the RNH pick.

Even the Avalanche in their behind the scenes look at their scouting meetings that year made it readily apparent that if they had the choice between Landeskog and RNH, they would take RNH without a second thought.

They also knew even then, months before the draft, that they had no shot at him even holding the 2nd pick.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yak isn't even getting big minutes yet.. 14 minutes per game as he's eased into this rookie season, and he's already got 5 goals in 8 games and leads the team in that department.

I fully expect him to go into beast mode when he matures into his 20's and he'll be a consistent 40+ or even a 50+ goal scorer in this league. It's not even a doubt in my mind.

He has a talent level that hasn't even been tapped yet imo. When he gets the setup man to feed him shots so he can rifle it like he can, and he gets linemates who can utilize his fast and hard passes... which will take players time to get used to... I have no doubt he'll be an exceptional talent.

He was EASILY the #1 pick and anyone saying otherwise will only have to look at his point totals in seasons to come to see why.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
There was very little debate about the RNH pick.

Even the Avalanche in their behind the scenes look at their scouting meetings that year made it readily apparent that if they had the choice between Landeskog and RNH, they would take RNH without a second thought.

They also knew even then, months before the draft, that they had no shot at him even holding the 2nd pick.

fair enough. at this point, i'm not sure if RNH will be better than Lando, but I'm still more glad we took him. we needed the centre and it was the right pick on that day.

pocketful

"We'll see"
Feb 3, 2012
fair enough. at this point, i'm not sure if RNH will be better than Lando, but I'm still more glad we took him. we needed the centre and it was the right pick on that day.

I love Landeskog and all that he brings but for me it's always going to be RNH over Lando. Don't give up on RNH because he isn't scoring. He is going to be an elite two-way centre soon enough.

As for Yakupov vs Galchenyuk, Yakupov was the right choice. You don't gamble with the number one pick.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
LOL are you people insane... what a ridiculous thread. I demand the moderators delete it... Yak leads this team in scoring and is a freaking teenager.. can you imagine how good this guy is going to be in 5 years... he is Pavel Bure reincarnated. Who the hell cares about Galchenyuk

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL are you people insane... what a ridiculous thread. I demand the moderators delete it... Yak leads this team in scoring and is a freaking teenager.. can you imagine how good this guy is going to be in 5 years... he is Pavel Bure reincarnated. Who the hell cares about Galchenyuk

Yep. This has gotta be a joke thread. Sometimes I think posters from CP and h f b roads and other sites are still setting up troll accounts here just for a lark and a laugh. I can't imagine this kind of topic being seriously intended.

Every team in the league would want Yak right now. Even moreso as he would sell tickets in any NHL market. Kid will be a gold mine on and off the ice.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Yep. This has gotta be a joke thread. Sometimes I think posters from CP and h f b roads and other sites are still setting up troll accounts here just for a lark and a laugh. I can't imagine this kind of topic being seriously intended.

Every team in the league would want Yak right now. Even moreso as he would sell tickets in any NHL market. Kid will be a gold mine on and off the ice.

Seriously people are Pejorative Slured. He is 19 (NINETEEN) and has 5 goals in 8 games. Thats not good, its phenomenal. You want to redo the draft and take another guy cause he is bigger (1 inch taller BTW and less physical). The guy could lead the league in scoring for years and years, while Galy is putting up 60 point seasons in Montreal and you want to redo the draft???
I don't post on here often any more, but is it just me or are the posters getting tangibly stupider.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Seriously people are Pejorative Slured. He is 19 (NINETEEN) and has 5 goals in 8 games. Thats not good, its phenomenal. You want to redo the draft and take another guy cause he is bigger (1 inch taller BTW and less physical). The guy could lead the league in scoring for years and years, while Galy is putting up 60 point seasons in Montreal and you want to redo the draft???
I don't post on here often any more, but is it just me or are the posters getting tangibly stupider.

i haven't seen many posters saying otherwise. it's quite obvious yak was the right pick.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I think it's a little early to jump to a conclusion like that. Yakupov has been as advertised so far, and for me, better than I expected.

I also don't think you can necessarily compare +/- for Galchenyuk to Yakupov; they both play with different linemates, in different systems etc.

Isn't it said that when you're picking #1 overall, you are supposed to take who you feel is the best player available? The Oilers picked Yakupov because they obviously felt that way, and he's looking really promising right now, so don't be ready to jump ship on the guy after 9 games, especially with 5 goals. There's no guarantee that Yakupov will be the best player from the draft, but there never is a guarantee. Hall vs Seguin, RNH vs Landeskog; you never know who will end up being the best player until likely way down the road, but I trust Stu Macgregor's picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad